Subject: coup or mascarade or both? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Louissimon Lefebvre
Canada
Montréal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So after much anticipation for the new bruno faidutti, I finally read the rules and I noticed a couple similarities between this and coup. I kickstarterd coup so I'm going to get a copy of it pretty soon.

For those that have played both is the feel during games different enough between the both of them? or is it just pretty much the same game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
QCbob wrote:
So after much anticipation for the new bruno faidutti, I finally read the rules and I noticed a couple similarities between this and coup. I kickstarterd coup so I'm going to get a copy of it pretty soon.

For those that have played both is the feel during games different enough between the both of them? or is it just pretty much the same game?

Both, obviously.

Plus all the werewolves, plus two rooms and a boom, and all the other great games in this rapidly growing genre.

At 10-20 mins a pop, if you enjoy them you'll enjoy the diversity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't had the opportunity to play Mascarade, yet. But I've seen it played. It's different-enough to justify owning both if you're a fan of the genre. There's a lot more memory in Mascarade. You start out knowing which role is yours, but people (possibly) swap them without you knowing. So you can get yourself into a big decision tree. If Sean swapped with me, and Ryan believed he now had my role, Ryan would have taken it. Of course, if Sean didn't swap with me, Ryan now has Sean's old role... Or maybe nobody actually swapped and we all have the same roles we did at the start!

After a whole lap around the table of possible swaps, it seems to be 50% memory and 50% "reading" people. If Ryan started with role X, would he have actually wanted to trade for Y? What is the likelihood that he actually kept his own role.

A lot of people will call this sort of intention analysis "randomness", and promptly dismiss it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tbh I only recommend having one. Indeed they are both diverse, but they fill exactly the same niche: 5-10 minutes, a lot of players, a lot of lying, etc.

Mascarade has no player elimination, but gametime is so short that it does not matter. Since you already have one I would recommend you to try the second one before deciding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Armstrong
United States
Bedford
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mascarade sucks with less than 5 players. Coup only goes up to 4 players. Decision simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Romeo
Canada
Chicoutimi
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Coup goes up to 6 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladislav Goldakovsky
Ukraine
Kiev
flag msg tools
I highly recommend both since this games occupy very different niches (at least in my experience).

I don't consider Coup a party game. Yeah, it's light and fast, but I'll never play Coup with more than six players, despite that being technically possible.

On the contrary, Mascarade plays best as party game. It isn't nearly as engaging with less than 8 players.

And yeah, they are different enough. And while being a big fan of Coup (Kickstarted it too), I'll go as far as to say that Mascarade is more deep game, with some similar vibes, but largely different feel. You can say that Coup is more about straight bluffing, while Mascarade is more about cunning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Armstrong
United States
Bedford
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gulp oops my bad, sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Sherriff
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both and although many laud Mascarade for its greater depth and range of players the chaotic nature and heavy memory element can put people off. Coup is more elegant and focused on bluffing but can become unbalanced when stretching to 6 players or more.

I find Coup works better as a traditional filler while Mascarade leans more towards a party game. There is less overlap between these games than it may appear from a mere reading of their respective articles, so I wouldn't discount either of them on that basis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are great games ... if I could only buy one it would be Mascarade. I would agree with Edward above (I own both).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudine Finlay
United States
Herriman
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
He's eating a Dungeon Lord imp...
mbmbmbmbmb
Dissonance_ wrote:
I own both and although many laud Mascarade for its greater depth and range of players the chaotic nature and heavy memory element can put people off. Coup is more elegant and focused on bluffing but can become unbalanced when stretching to 6 players or more.

I find Coup works better as a traditional filler while Mascarade leans more towards a party game. There is less overlap between these games than it may appear from a mere reading of their respective articles, so I wouldn't discount either of them on that basis.

I also agree with Edward but if I could only own one, it would be Coup. I've played both and had more fun with Coup. I have only played Mascarade with 5 and 6 and I have a suspicion it would be much better with more players. The problem I have with Mascarade is that you reveal often, so it isn't that hard to keep track of at least two roles. The roles don't get mixed up enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Doss
United States
Crossville
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I own both. I kickstarted the Resistance Coup which means my copy can play up to 10 players. I also own the promo cards for Mascarade for added variability. I say both are equally playable and do different enough things and are cheap enough that I can justify owning both in my collection.

Sometimes you want the play to 13 coins and chaotic uncertainty, sometimes you want the elimination aspect with complete bluffing.

I also own the Resistance and Citadels, and Gentlemen Thieves. I would recommend all of these games in your collection if you like player selection and uncertainty bluffing mechanisms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.