United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting

*Cue the grumpy, yet-not-so-old-man*

Ok, we as gamers, HAVE to find a new adjective and stop using interesting.. We, collectively, have run that word into the ground. Every game is interesting, every game has at least one interesting mechanic. Ok, I get it. Every game that ever existed has something about it that is interesting.

Can we please try and use the occasional different adjective when talking about a game either with our friends or, hell, in most every board gaming podcast out there? UNCLE!

GET OFF MY LAWN!

/rant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My use sources from the sciences, most particularly the mathematics, in which it is common to describe something as interesting that carries unexpected and revelatory properties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Life is a lamp-flame before a wind.
msg tools
badge
mu
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, interesting is used way too often, including by yours truly. However, it's a very useful word. It signals that something is worth attention, but in a rather neutral way; words like exciting and appealing certainly sound less neutral. I guess intriguing could serve as a good synonym, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
I recommend BGG run a script replacing all instances of interesting with elegant.

Better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I have become my own island state. A ravaged, war-torn land where nothing grows and the horizons are bleak.
mb
"Interesting" still has a vital place in the gamer's vocabulary though.

It is the perfect way to screw with your opponents' heads.

One of the guys I play with will say it after you make a non-obvious move. Sometimes it means, "that was a good move" sometimes it means "what the hell are you thinking." You just never know which.

You think hard about it, make your move, and he just says, "Interesting."

Then you spend the next 10 minutes wondering what he saw that you didn't and how screwed you are.

It's so effective, I've started using it myself and can't stop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an interesting thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gelatinous Goo wrote:

One of the guys I play with will say it after you make a non-obvious move. Sometimes it means, "that was a good move" sometimes it means "what the hell are you thinking." You just never know which.

Then you spend the next 10 minutes wondering what he saw that you didn't and how screwed you are.

God just killed a kitten. Why do you hate kittens? laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eapeas wrote:
Ok, we, as gamers HAVE to find a new adjective and stop using interesting.. We, collectively, have run that word into the ground. Every game is interesting, every game has at least one interesting mechanic. Ok, I get it. Every game that ever existed has something about it that is interesting.

Can we please try and use the occasional different adjective when talking about a game either with our friends or, hell, in most every board gaming podcast out there? UNCLE!

You raise an interesting point.

Gelatinous Goo wrote:

Try this... after they make a move just say "Huh." Look at the board with your head cocked sideways for a second, then slowly nod to yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Iachini
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm open to suggestions for replacement words. Nothing comes immediately to mind as a word that conveys what "interesting" does when describing a board game.

To me, describing a game or an element of a game as "interesting" means that it was different from what I've seen before (or from what I would have expected) in a not-unpleasant way.

Just calling it "different" doesn't convey the right connotation, as "different" can easily be bad. Calling it some variant on "good" isn't right, either, because it could be exactly what I would have expected (thus not different), or "good" may be too strong a word (it's different and not bad, but not quite good either).

"Interesting" conveys that the thing caught my attention and I was glad to have paid attention to it. "Attention-grabbing" might work here (though that's a stronger term than "interesting" is). Perhaps "noteworthy" could serve as well.

Ultimately, "interesting" is a useful word when describing an element of a board game. I would only object to overuse of a word like this if I found the word to be essentially empty. "Interesting" may be used a lot, but it's not empty.

Michael Iachini
Clay Crucible Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grimshaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
eapeas wrote:
Interesting

*Cue the grumpy, yet-not-so-old-man*

Ok, we, as gamers HAVE to find a new adjective and stop using interesting.. We, collectively, have run that word into the ground. Every game is interesting, every game has at least one interesting mechanic. Ok, I get it. Every game that ever existed has something about it that is interesting.

GET OFF MY LAWN!

/rant

To be honest, all the use of interesting does is denote a point of interest, that you then elaborate further on. In that sense it's both valid and kinda redundant at the same time, in the sense that it leads from one point to another across a review or what have you, but it is the expectation that the point that you are making is of interest to you in the context of a review else you likely wouldn't be raising it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChaosAndAlchemy wrote:
I'm open to suggestions for replacement words. Nothing comes immediately to mind as a word that conveys what "interesting" does when describing a board game.

To me, describing a game or an element of a game as "interesting" means that it was different from what I've seen before (or from what I would have expected) in a not-unpleasant way.

Just calling it "different" doesn't convey the right connotation, as "different" can easily be bad. Calling it some variant on "good" isn't right, either, because it could be exactly what I would have expected (thus not different), or "good" may be too strong a word (it's different and not bad, but not quite good either).

"Interesting" conveys that the thing caught my attention and I was glad to have paid attention to it. "Attention-grabbing" might work here (though that's a stronger term than "interesting" is). Perhaps "noteworthy" could serve as well.

Ultimately, "interesting" is a useful word when describing an element of a board game. I would only object to overuse of a word like this if I found the word to be essentially empty. "Interesting" may be used a lot, but it's not empty.

Michael Iachini
Clay Crucible Games

I completely agree. But when every single game is described as "interesting" and every mechanic described as "interesting", it loses its meaning....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
Adjectives in general are over-used around here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a replacement I suggest:

Fascinating

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I think everyone should just decide on a new adjective to replace it; problem solved.

Now we just need to think of which word...

I'm going to use sexy.

I'll let you know how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Kafka
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
This is an interesting thread.

I find your comment a little puzzly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, we as gamers, HAVE to find a new adjective and stop using whatever word we find to replace interesting.. We, collectively, have run that word into the ground. Every game is the word we use to replace interesting, every game has at least one word to replace interesting mechanic. Ok, I get it. Every game that ever existed has something about it that is word to replace interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Pigeon
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I propose:

Froody
or
Hoopy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
mb
super_bruno wrote:
I propose:

Froody

Don’t adjectivize nouns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I have become my own island state. A ravaged, war-torn land where nothing grows and the horizons are bleak.
mb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
super_bruno wrote:
I propose:

Froody

Don’t adjectivize nouns.

But you can verb them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raithyn
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey, if we can verb anything in the English language, we can adjectivize too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
mb
Gelatinous Goo wrote:
HuginnGreiling wrote:
super_bruno wrote:
I propose:

Froody

Don’t adjectivize nouns.

But you can verb them.

Verbing weirds language.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eapeas wrote:

God just killed a kitten. Why do you hate kittens? laugh

Because they grow into cats
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Brennick
United States
Lewiston
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kempeth wrote:
As a replacement I suggest:

Fascinating

Might be more fun/amusing to just say Spock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SkyShadow38 wrote:

Might be more fun/amusing to just say Spock.

That's, "Spaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhk"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
badge
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet-Gen. Mattis
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
So I think everyone should just decide on a new adjective to replace it; problem solved.

Now we just need to think of which word...

I'm going to use sexy.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Awesome! I'm going to piggyback on you, use sexy as well, AND link it back to your reply. Maybe we can start a trend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.