Cross Plains
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Kings of Israel
mbmbmbmbmb
I need some feedback!

The next version of the map is being worked on to, primarily, make it easier to see the board and where all the sin cubes and idols are supposed to be. My artist sent me the latest version that is missing the outside nations and I wanted to see what people think. Improvement over the old version? Any perceived issues? General suggestions?

My artist labeled the water bodies in this one but the names might be more New Testament than Old Testament so I will have to make sure on that. The 3-4 players note has not been added to the timeline yet so do not worry about that.

Thank you for the help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Speicher
United States
Potomac Falls
VIRGINIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
posting old map would be helpful as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thebrainy wrote:
I need some feedback
It's not nearly so pretty, the timeline is too big, and I can't see if it's an improvement in terms of visibility without seeing it on the table with cubes all over it.

Generally I preferred the original for visual impact, but this one may be easier to read during play. It's just a bit plain looking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Cormode
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. The timeline is too big for what it does and the map does seem to look pretty plain.

As least for visual appeal, I prefer the old map. Functionally, I am not so sure.

Nice to see Chinnereth on the map and the idea of having the older names for the bodies of water is good as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the look, but agree that seeing it in use would make a big difference. To me, it looks like some of the cities will be really close together for the amount of cubes and other things that will be added to them. Of course, that's without any perspective on the pieces.

Perhaps some sort of color-coding from the various powers that can influence Israel would be useful as well? That would make it easier to see at a glance when Assyria sends out sin cubes which cities would be affected. (Not saying it's needed, just an idea for consideration.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
the problem with the old map wasn't the background nor the colours, but the scale. Insisting on geographical accuracy, while laudable, makes for a cramped and busy central area. maybe the old map, with the new cities might work. Could the functional area be 'zoomed in' on, reducing the unplayed areas (neighbouring countries)? There seems to be a lot of blank space to all sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer the satellite image look of the old map, but did not like the way the font used made the map look too congested and the city/mount locations looked a little lost - I'd like to see the locations clearly defined. I think I'd like to see what these new city location markers look like on the satellite image map. I also think than the locations should be a safe distance apart so sin cubes can be placed easily without players confusing which cubes belong to which location.

Agree with the others about the Timeline being far too big, although I think I prefer its new look. What might be considered is the False Prophet starting points:

paschott wrote:
Perhaps some sort of color-coding from the various powers that can influence Israel would be useful as well? That would make it easier to see at a glance when Assyria sends out sin cubes which cities would be affected. (Not saying it's needed, just an idea for consideration.)

This is a good idea if it can be done tastefully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Cormode
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. The look of the new timeline is better but it is too big.

I do like the new icons for the various locations. (City or mountain)

The satellite look for the terrain in the original was much better as well, IMHO.

It'd be nice to see the two maps side by side, also.

Finally, it is nice to see a game designer looking for input and being open to feedback and suggestions. Thanks for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glen.
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there, I think I have to agree in part with the consensus on the timeline. As someone who has played it, I preferred the old timeline, but WOW the new map is absolutely fantastic. Way clearer, way beautiful. Well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe these locations with the original board, but taken as-is, I'd choose the other one every day of the week. The original one had some style; this one looks like it was pulled from a textbook.

I don't know how to get Photoshop to do what I want, but for the 3/4-player spaces, I suggest using two silhouettes surrounded by a Not sign, and the 4-player spaces, using 2/3 silhouettes surrounded by a Not sign.

I also like the original king timeline better. I don't need the names of the kings to be easier to read than that of the locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Hill
United States
Cross Plains
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Kings of Israel
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the feedback everyone! I just got back to check on things and I am going to sum up everything and do some e-mail back and forth with the artist about changes. I will update with another post when I have some new artwork or blueprints!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bartholomew

Lancaster
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just saw this thread, but I agree with the general consensus - old map is much more attractive in my opinion. New timeline is better but waaay too big. Personally, I prefer more geographic accuracy versus easier playability....within reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Hill
United States
Cross Plains
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Kings of Israel
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an update on the map with the timeline shrunk down and with number of player tabs. Thoughts on timeline changes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Preston
United States
Fremont
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lance, do you know where the false prophet markings are going to go on that new timeline? In general, I must say that like that new timeline much better...but I'm not 100% sold on the map itself.

I'm conflicted on the map. I did like the satellite look of the first map better, but I think the way the cities are represented on this map is far superior to the first map. I feel like the locations of the cities are much more clearly defined on the new map.

Maybe it won't seem as bland and empty once the outside nations get put on there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Cormode
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
univac528 wrote:
Lance, do you know where the false prophet markings are going to go on that new timeline? In general, I must say that like that new timeline much better...but I'm not 100% sold on the map itself.

I'm conflicted on the map. I did like the satellite look of the first map better, but I think the way the cities are represented on this map is far superior to the first map. I feel like the locations of the cities are much more clearly defined on the new map.

Maybe it won't seem as bland and empty once the outside nations get put on there.

I agree with all this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Sickert

Brownsburg
Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the satellite overview better as well. Your trying to have an accurate view of Isreal and the kings might as well make the map look more realistic.

Why not put the player numbers inside the timeline? Have 2+, 3+. Or some kind of symbol stating what number of players activates that king. Its probably too far into production, but you could always have a seperate piece of board to have the timeline.

Nick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Hill
United States
Cross Plains
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Kings of Israel
mbmbmbmbmb
univac528 wrote:

This was just a timeline update on the map, the artist has not done the topology type work yet, so hold on for that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Hill
United States
Cross Plains
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Kings of Israel
mbmbmbmbmb
Sickert wrote:
I like the satellite overview better as well. Your trying to have an accurate view of Isreal and the kings might as well make the map look more realistic.

Why not put the player numbers inside the timeline? Have 2+, 3+. Or some kind of symbol stating what number of players activates that king. Its probably too far into production, but you could always have a seperate piece of board to have the timeline.

Nick

Having the numbers inside the space with the kings would usually work, except Ish-Bosheth has that very long name which makes it difficult.

Ish-Bosheth! *shakes fist*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Preston
United States
Fremont
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thebrainy wrote:
This was just a timeline update on the map, the artist has not done the topology type work yet, so hold on for that!

If there is still topology to do...then everything is great so far! I was thinking it was all done except for the outside nations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Cormode
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thebrainy wrote:
univac528 wrote:

Good to hear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Sickert

Brownsburg
Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry another idea just popped into my head. You could do the progress track like the scoring track in games like Brass. How it snakes around folding onto it self. But again it might be hard to get some of the names in the boxes and have it still look appealing.

Nick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Cormode
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose this is a minor thing but having the Great Sea or whatever the ancient name for the Mediterranean Sea was on the map would be nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bartholomew

Lancaster
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually liked the previous timeline version with the crowns better - did it not shrink down well? I just had a thought - maybe not a good one - but would it be possible to make the map/board a little bigger to alleviate the space issues? I'm not sure what size the board is now??

I also agree that having the old names for the different bodies of water would be great. More historical info is always better in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Hill
United States
Cross Plains
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Kings of Israel
mbmbmbmbmb
Thormodr wrote:
I suppose this is a minor thing but having the Great Sea or whatever the ancient name for the Mediterranean Sea was on the map would be nice.

Yep, on the list of things to do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Hill
United States
Cross Plains
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Kings of Israel
mbmbmbmbmb
AHdave wrote:
I actually liked the previous timeline version with the crowns better - did it not shrink down well? I just had a thought - maybe not a good one - but would it be possible to make the map/board a little bigger to alleviate the space issues? I'm not sure what size the board is now??

I also agree that having the old names for the different bodies of water would be great. More historical info is always better in my opinion.

The crowns got a little too small and that space could be used to also blow up the map more. The board size is 17in x 22in roughly to fit in the game box that will then fit into another sized box to ship reasonably, so that size is official. It is still being tweaked for maximum usage and the size worked out fine, to me, in the old version. Just need graphical changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.