Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cortland Honn
United States
Unspecified
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this game a few times both with my kids and with different adults playing and everyone seems to really enjoy it. Some rule questions do keep coming up though that we can't find clearly answered in the rules so I'm posting them here in case someone can help.

1. It seems really strange that there is no way to ever pull more armies into a battle beyond the standard "3 lev-1’s and 1 lev-2" army except for with Tumnus (can add 1 faun) and Aslan (can add from frozen armies). There are cards that let you move armies around the board, but always from a territory you occupy to another territory you occupy which seems to imply you cannot pull them in before a battle. Because the card says, "PLAY AT THE END OF ANY TURN", I think this stops you from every using the "moved" armies into a battle situation, which means this card only strengthens camps. Are we missing something?

2. When scoring, the rule book says, "Players score crown points for armies they have captured: 5 fauns (of the same army colour) or 5 boggles = 1 crown point, 3 centaurs or 3 minotaurs = 1 crown point." Because it doesn't specify "of the same color" for minotaurs, we always play that the White Witch scores with 3 minotaurs of any color but boggles have to be the same color. Is this correct?

3. When determining turn order using the turn order tokens, you do not draw a Narnia card if you have more than one turn in a row. Does this also apply if you've shuffled the tokens in between (e.g. last player is also first player after shuffle)?

4. Is there any situation when the White Witch can freeze a character? For example, if Aslan's side has one faun and a character and the Witch rolls a 2 do both the faun and the character get frozen or does the character return to the player? The card says "2 armies" so we have been playing that characters are returned, but wanted to double-check.

5. Similar to above, if the White Witch rolls a 2 (freeze two armies) and also a 5 and 6, can she choose whether to freeze or remove (assuming there are less than 4 Aslan armies)?

6. There is a penalty of only 2 offence dice for crossing water or for fighting a camp. If you cross water into a camp, do the penalties stack to only 1 dice or is the maximum penalty to lose one dice (roll 2 at minimum)?

7. The "Secret River Ford" card says, "Your armies and characters can cross a river to attack a territory next to the one you are in without losing battle strength." It also says, "PLAY DURING ANY TURN." Can this card only be used for one river during a turn or as many rivers as can be reached during the turn? Strict reading says "a river" means only once, but not sure.

8. Has anyone ever won with the White Witch? Seems the odds are pretty stacked against her but not sure as we only have about 5 games under our belt so far.

Thanks for anyone willing to dive in with some answers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berni Armstrong
Spain
flag msg tools
We've just got it and I must admit I roared with laughter on opening the box which promised a "cut-down kid's version" and discovered lots of rules which, apart from being badly written, were unclear on major points(especially those you raised above about troop movements). I think that is one dynamic that is really missing in the game, the "Risk" of moving troops, building up attacking forces and leaving yourself open to attack in other areas. I think a combination of "Troop Movement" phase at the end of each turn, plus the element of surprise that enemy troops can "magically" turn up out of the blue (thanks to the appropriate territory card) would go a long way to improving the game.

In fact, after playing a few times according to the rules, I think we are going to try experimenting with a troop movement phase at the end of each round and see if that frees up the dynamics a bit.

I've got the version in Spanish (which I speak fluently) - but I wondered if the translator had problems with some areas. I am a translator myself and I know that it is not uncommon to get asked to translate a rule booklet without ever having access to the original game board, so I sympathise. Having just discovered the English rules here, I intend to see if that is indeed the case and vital concepts were fudged.

The role of the characters in the game is not at all clear. If I understood the rules correctly, you can add a single character to an attack, but if the defender rolls doubles then that character is neutralised and returned to their card - taken out of play. However, there seems to be no limit to when, where and how the character can return to the game in following rounds. Unless I missed something.

I also find it difficult to begin to imagine how strategies might be employed... especially as the Witch. My daughter has insisted she and her Mum play the Narnians and I get to be the Witch. Despite some close run exchanges of territory in the mid-game, the odds eventually seemed to stack against the Snow Queen and I have yet to see her in a position that is anywhere close to winning.

I did like the mechanscs of deciding whose turn came next, though in the first game we played, Aslan's party got four straight goes and some lucky break cards and Jadis was soon defending her last few territories... appropriately enough making a last stand in her castle in the North

Another thing. Can the Narnians use the characters traditionally associated with the Witch and Vice-Versa. Can the super running wolf be unfrozen and used by Lucy... or Mr Tumnus be coaxed onto the side of Jadis? It might make better game dynamics, but it feels really odd for Aslan to be using big baddies in his righteous campaign to free Narnia from winter's grip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfonso Zamora
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have got the spanish version too.
1. Yes. It´s a errata when the card says, "PLAY AT THE END OF ANY TURN", "Armies on the Move" should read "play During any turn", then you can collect armies of some territories and put in the territory where you battle. You can increase your army with this card.

2 In the enhanced rules, pag 6, says."At the end of a player's turn, check to see whether any player has captured the given number of armies of the same color (5 fauns or boggles, 3 centaurs or minotaurs). If so, swap them for crown points."
3 centaurs of same colour.

4. In the page 11."The White Witch player can turn enemy character, except for Aslan, to stone when the White Witch rolls double 2's. Place the character in her Courtyard and the character card is lost, place the character card with the other cards not being played.

5. You can choose. Maybe you prefer points for armies in front of you or points with the card that gain 1 point for 2 statues in her Courtyard.

6. The maximum penalty is lose one dice, when you crossing water (river o sea) or attacking camps or heavily wooded territories.

7. Seems only one.

8. Yes. I played 4 times with adults with all enhanced rules. 4 wins for the witch. Next time i would like to play Aslan´s side and use this powerfull lion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cortland Honn
United States
Unspecified
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thank you Alfonso for taking the time to reply - I VERY much appreciate it! We still play the game and find it very fun. I'm still surprised it was never released in the US, but I'm glad I stumbled onto it. Your replies will also help and will likely change the game.

Thanks very much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfonso Zamora
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
remember, use all enhanced rules, and be carefull with erratas:
Narnia cards face down
Score 2 bonus points for Witch's Castle territory in the first scoring
Score 2 bonus points for Fathers´Christmas territory in the second scoring and the frozen lake is converted in river.
1 Army in any camp you control
Attacking power (6 wooded territories)
Character cards special power (4 news)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfonso Zamora
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Another point, the card in spanish "Ejercitos en movimiento", imagine in english is "Armies on the move" (Can anyone describe me the text in english?), i think is like other risk games "Fortify your position",but not exactly the same:
it is simply SOME movement from one of your territories to another, in order to protect or to attack with a character.
But unlike other risks, territories may not BE CONNECTED
The difference is you can move from 1 territory any number of armies and from other territory any number of armies and from another territory a character, and from another territory a character and any number of armies.
Its very powerful because are a lot of troops fortifications and characters movement if you want.
The card says at the end. You MUST stay with one army in each territory

There are 4 cards. Dont forget, PLAY DURING ANY TURN¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reidar Henricks
Norway
flag msg tools
Hi folks! :-)
I`ve just bought the norwegian version and as I suspect, there are stuff lost in translation.
Not sure if you got an answer, but you can move troops when you are attacking and wins, you can then keep attacking neighboroving land, but you need to let at least one troop stay in the land you are leaving.

You can only use one character in one land at a time and it stays there if you win the battle and if you loose, it`s returned to you. The english manual that is posted in another tread here, is much better than the one that followed my norwegian game btw.

But, one question I can`t manage to figure out is, how do Aslan get into play from his tent where he starts?

Hope someone please can tell me that since it frustrates both my kid and me...hehe.... ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfonso Zamora
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There are 9 cards called ""Shouts of battle in Narnia"" or something like that, i have got spanish version "Gritos de Batalla en Narnia" to bring in front of you the card and the chosen token.Now the character belongs to you and can help your forces. When you play the card, you can put the token on the board and attack with the troops, only one character per side per territory.

Remember the set up: Aslan, Mr. Tumnus and Rumblebuffin may not be chosen by the players. They are in the tents.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/277212/hope-for-narnia for hints.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.