Order of the Echolight
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Session Report 19

Factions: Humalien vs. Echo
Gamescape: Streets of Ruin
Scenario: Kill ‘em all (no scavenge tokens)
Skirmish Points: 32 points (Max level recruit)

Humalien: 1 Indestructible, 1 Timehunter, and 2 Raiders

Echo: 2 Psi-blades, 2 Nether-Techs, and 1 Mindbender

Again, since this game was played using Paul’s set, the game board is black and white and no humalien. So, in case for reference, the tremor is an indestructible, the hellebores are the raiders, and the geomancer is the timehunter. I know that we have play tested with echo many times but we felt that echo and humalien are both hard to play.

The purpose of this game was to see how the indestructible would fare against the echo troops in a recruit setting.

Overview of the Game
The game had loads of elevated terrain, which the Echo player put to slow the Humalien down especially their raiders. By the way, the weird skirmish point’s choice was because of the high cost of humalien and echo characters. So we chose that to fit both players

Round 1: Everyone moved forward. For the Echo, the nethertech’s moved to flank the humalien raiders while the psi-blades and the mindbender moved to attack the indestructible. The humalien inched forward with the raiders being forced to the middle because of difficult tiles.

Round 2: Echo won initiative and forced the humalien player to start. The indestructible moved forward to the middle while the timehunter moved next to the indestructible to heal it in case. In response, one Nethertech ambushed the timehunter and slaughtered it instantly. The other Nether Tech ambushed the Indestructible and the bullets hit the indestructible’s vital organs, leaving it with just one health. Lucky rolls. Furious, the raiders ambushed one nether tech, and together they killed him. The Psi-blades charged forward and moved next to the raiders. The mindbender attempted to bend the indestructible, but he failed to penetrate the wall of elevated terrain.

Round 3: The Echo won initiative and the Psi-blade killed the Indestructible with one quick stroke. The poor indestructible didn’t even have the chance to retaliate. The raider that was adjacent to both psi-blades bravely stayed behind to stall the Psi-blades. He blasted the psi-blade but failed to do damage. The other raider escaped, losing 1 health in the process, and killed the mindbender. The Psi-blade massacred the raider and the nethertech ambushed the raider. The raider dodged and survived the attacked.

Round 4: The last of the humaliens won initiative and the raider assassinated the nethertech and fled swiftly away. However, because of timecraft 1, the raider could only stay on the elevation. The psi-blades used their phasing and were almost caught up with the raider.

Round 5: The raider shot one psi-blade but since the psi-blade did not die, the raider surrendered.

Analysis of Game
This game was pretty short, but the echo really had EXTREMELY good rolls. Killing an indestructible with just 3 rolls (the indestructible was killed by the first roll of the psi-blade) is really unlikely to happen.

Raider
This game showed the power of the raiders in some sense. The raiders were able to kill 2 nether techs and a mindbender (which was all the humalien killed). The speed of the raider was sufficiently balanced by the timecraft ability, which would cause them to avoid elevated and difficult terrain. Furthermore, the lower range of the raider balances his faster speed, making him comparable to a scout. Thus, we feel that the raider is well balanced and worth his cost.

Timehunter
The timehunter was not of much use, since it died before it could do any attack. As little analysis can be made on the pricing of the characters, I will be dealing more with the strategy in playing humalien. (I still feel that their pricing is okay).

The death of the timehunter meant the inability of the indestructible to be healed, which is detrimental to the survival of the indestructible.

Indestructible
This playtest shows that the high defence of the indestructible is not necessary overpowered. As shown from the playtest, it is possible to defeat the indestructible before it can attack. With the ambush abilities and the high weapon range of the RC factions, the indestructible may not be able to do much damage to the enemies before it gets overwhelmed. It could serve as a good distraction though. As such, I feel that 7 Defence for Indestructible is not too powerful and the indestructible’s cost is okay.

This playtest also shows the possible weakness of the indestructible against a relatively rc faction and that an indestructible may not be as useful against rc factions compared to cc factions. This is also because RC factions have the ability to target the timehunter. As such, with the timehunter dead, the indestructible will sooner or later get, erhm destroyed. Against cc factions, the indestructible and the doppelgangers can provide enough cover for the timehunter while the indestructible massacres the enemy medics and troops. The timehunter(s) and doppelgangered timehunters can together restore and sustain the indestructible and finish off weaker medics trapped by death pull.

Furthermore at recruit, the timehunter only has a movement of 4. As such, with obstacles along the way, the timehunter may be lagging behind and unable to heal the indestructible as he charges forward to attack the enemies. This would also make indestructible exposed and vulnerable.

Thus, I feel that a timehunter is necessary for the survival of the indestructible and an indestructible against an RC faction is not that advisable. Also, if one really wants an indestructible, he should take a timehunter too. However, these are just my opinions based on the games I have played.

In conclusion, I feel that the costs for these three characters at recruit are okay.

Look forward to our next report: Humalien vs. Echo (60 points)

Playtest done by: Paul (Echo) vs. Joshua (Humalien)
Report done by: Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another great report, Paul. Thanks for continuing to take the time to put these together. I've been so busy with other aspects of the game development lately that I haven't been able to playtest much lately. I really appreciate you guys taking the lead on not only the design but also the development and playtesting for the Humaliens. Really great stuff.

One thing - when you list the skirmish points, you mentioned "max level." I just want to make sure that you guys are using the newest rules (v3.2). I removed the max level limit for the game and introduced additional increments for skirmish points.

Most importantly, I think your playtests lately have underscored that the Humaliens really are coming along quite nicely and can probably move into the final stages of development. I really, really need to consolidate all the stuff we talked about in the various character threads and update the cards. I assume when you guys are playtesting the characters, you're using all the changes we discussed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Order of the Echolight
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skirmish_Tactics wrote:
Another great report, Paul. Thanks for continuing to take the time to put these together. I've been so busy with other aspects of the game development lately that I haven't been able to playtest much lately. I really appreciate you guys taking the lead on not only the design but also the development and playtesting for the Humaliens. Really great stuff.

No problem. Thanks a lot for helping us to develop hum alien. Really appreciate it

Quote:
One thing - when you list the skirmish points, you mentioned "max level." I just want to make sure that you guys are using the newest rules (v3.2). I removed the max level limit for the game and introduced additional increments for skirmish points.

Oops I haven't updated the rulebook yet, my bad. Thanks for spotting that mistake, please bear with this mistake for the next 2 play tests since they have already been conducted. I will keep this in mind the next time I play. Nice catch

Quote:
Most importantly, I think your playtests lately have underscored that the Humaliens really are coming along quite nicely and can probably move into the final stages of development. I really, really need to consolidate all the stuff we talked about in the various character threads and update the cards. I assume when you guys are playtesting the characters, you're using all the changes we discussed?

Yes, that was what I was trying to say. From my play tests, there doesn't seem to be very major issues for hum alien. Although i think that there may be the issue of hum alien being rather vulnerable to area attacks. We have been using the finalised changes we have discussed for all the games, other than the increased WR of the indestructible where we used 3,4,4 in the past. I can try to help you and consolidate everything in the Humalien general discussion page that Jeff posted: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1040259/humaliens-varian...

On a side note, should i also include the cost formulas on that page?

Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Comarauthen wrote:
Yes, that was what I was trying to say. From my play tests, there doesn't seem to be very major issues for hum alien. Although i think that there may be the issue of hum alien being rather vulnerable to area attacks. We have been using the finalised changes we have discussed for all the games, other than the increased WR of the indestructible where we used 3,4,4 in the past. I can try to help you and consolidate everything in the Humalien general discussion page that Jeff posted: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1040259/humaliens-varian...

On a side note, should i also include the cost formulas on that page?

Paul

So when you guys have been playtesting the Indestructible, you were using the old WRs and cost? If so, were they balanced? I know you asked to change them (and I integrated those changes into the updated character card that I posted recently). However, if the previous version is the one you've been playtesting and you feel it's balanced, then we should revert to that version.

If it's not too much trouble, I'd REALLY appreciate it if you could post the current stats and formulas you're using for each of the Humaliens in the individual Humalien character development threads. That's what I view as the "official" source for the development. However, if you want, you could also post that info to the original thread you guys started and/or Jeff's thread.

I can cobble together all the various info, but I'd prefer to work from your latest playtets versions, since you guys have been leading the development effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Order of the Echolight
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can help you do that. However, since you posted the first post, I can’t edit it. So I’ll just post at the end. No problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Comarauthen wrote:
I can help you do that. However, since you posted the first post, I can’t edit it. So I’ll just post at the end. No problem.

That's great! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.