Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
Repeatedly. Like, at least a half-dozen times since Friday night. Most recently, about 15 minutes ago.

Nothing quite as dramatic as what we had that one time 2 years ago, but the frequency is definitely noteworthy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lainie Theys
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me clarify for him... We're having earthquakes in Oklahoma... Centered a couple of miles from our house...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ldmimage wrote:
Let me clarify for him... We're having earthquakes in Oklahoma... Centered a couple of miles from our house...
but there were soooo many wife jokes to be made...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://stateimpact.npr.org/oklahoma/2013/11/04/mapped-oklaho...

Quite a few of 'em!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
13 years ago my wife and I moved from California to Kansas City. In California I felt many earthquakes but my parents were concerned about tornadoes in the Midwest. Since our move I have felt 3 small earthquakes and seen just 1 small little twister and that was only when I went tornado hunting. Meanwhile in Sacramento the apartment my wife lived in when we were dating had it's roof partially ripped off from a tornado.

I think I brought the earthquakes with me to the Midwest. My apologies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
All my sins are of omission
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
It's now recommended that Oklahomans buy earthquake insurance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
So the 10pm quake registered as just a 3.8 (but it shook for quite a while). The one that woke us up at 2am was a 3.2. Sure they are small, but when they're centered within 2 miles of your house, they are quite loud and shake you around (and wake you up) for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The tremors are the latest in a swarm of quakes the U.S. Geological Survey says may be linked to waste fluid disposal wells used by the oil and gas industry.

soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If it falls on me and pins me underneath it, does that still count as seizing the day?
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
matthew.marquand wrote:
Quote:
The tremors are the latest in a swarm of quakes the U.S. Geological Survey says may be linked to waste fluid disposal wells used by the oil and gas industry.

soblue

I remember reading something about that in the late '70s when I was studying Petroleum Technology and Geology at Oklahoma State. The theory was that, in essence, the waste fluid was acting as a "lubricant" as it was forced under pressure into the cracks in the rock formations, and causing these huge slabs underground -- which were otherwise stable -- to start sliding against each other due to the different pressures on them.

Sounds like the theory was correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ohio has been experiencing quakes some attribute to "fracking" which seems similar. Not sure if it's waste or simply "the way they do it".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I lived in California for 12 years and never experienced an earthquake. I felt a good jolt in Delaware a couple of years ago (epicentered in Virginia).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
ldmimage wrote:

Man, and I had an "Awwww, yeah" worked up for this and everything.

soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.