Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Guardians rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimmy theCritic
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is anyone else thinking that the Guardians of the Galaxy might a good opportunity to expand Legendary as a base game?

Personally, I'd like to see a new board, maybe with Damocles Base in place of the Helicarrier, and with a few planets in place of the city spaces? Obviously SWORD would replace SHIELD yeah?

I'm also thinking that it wouldn't have to be exclusive to the Guardians. A space version would be the perfect way to introduce characters like Beta Ray Bill, Ms Marvel, Gladiator, Nova, possibly even space-suited Iron Man/Avengers/others...

And of course there would be room for Kree, Skrulls, Chitauri, and masterminds such as Thanos, Collector, Ronan, Kang, Korvac etc.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimmythecritic wrote:
Thoughts?

Love it! All great ideas. Lots of people have made the same connection, I think. The space board, the heroes, the masterminds... I'm practically salivating at the thought.

I think the Shi'ar Imperial Guard and the Brood should be included in any space-based big expansion. The X-Men need someone to fight when they are in space, too.

Could we put the Watcher up in the corner of the board just so he can watch us play?

But I doubt Upper Deck will replace the board and all the S.H.I.E.L.D. cards.... I expect an expansion box the size of Dark City.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say keep the costs/rules of the base game the same, just change the aesthetic to match the space theme. Such as...

S.W.O.R.D. Commando > S.H.I.E.L.D. Trooper
S.W.O.R.D. Operative > S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent
S.W.O.R.D. Officer - Abigail Brand > S.H.I.E.L.D. Officer - Maria Hill
Wounds > Wound (Same name, different Artwork, maybe a wounded Nova Corpsman?)
Bystander > Bystander (Same name, different artwork, maybe some generic alien)
The Peak > The HQ
The Galaxy > The City
Earth > The Bridge
Attilan (Moon) > The Streets
Knowhere (Space Station) > Rooftops
Xander (Nova Corps HQ) > Bank
Hala (Kree Homeworld) > Sewers

Give me this, give me this now. Oh, and let's not forget heroes...

Heroes:
Starlord
Gamora
Rocket Raccoon
Groot
Drax the Destroyer
Adam Warlock
Mantis
Bug
Moondragon
Phyla-Vell
Genis-Vell
Captain Mar-Vell
Vance Astro
Yondu
Black Bolt
Medusa
Gorgon
Karnak
Triton
Crystal
Nova
Quasar

Masterminds:
Thanos
Annihilus
Maximus

Villain Groups:
Annihilation Wave
Allies of Thanos
- Nebula(x2)
- Ronan the Accuser (x2)
- Korath the Pursuer (x2)
- Adam Magus (x2)

Henchmen:
Brood

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
But I doubt Upper Deck will replace the board and all the S.H.I.E.L.D. cards.... I expect an expansion box the size of Dark City.

At first I was inclined to agree, but the more I thought about it, the less outlandish it seemed. Think of it this way...

UD has to keep reprinting the base game to keep up with demand, right? Well, if they ARE replacing the forever decks and the board with a space theme then this can be the new base set they produce for people, and stop producing the old base set (at least not producing it as much)

"But why would they do that?"

Because next year a Guardians of the Galaxy film comes out, and a lot of people might be picking up this game who don't have the base game, so this IS a base game in and of itself (with different heroes, villain groups, henchmen and masterminds, of course) which is fully compatible with the rest of legendary.

I think the idea of selling a full space themed marvel game in conjunction with a Guardians of the Galaxy movie that is stand alone but also serves as a big-BIG-expansion to the base Legendary set is fully possible!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan R
United States
ALBUQUERQUE
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is definitely a great idea for Upper Deck that I hope they take to heart.

I haven't seen many current Legendary players that would be upset with this idea (a new board some additional base cards). Lots of other games have found stand-alone expansions to bring great success. Each time the game launches you bring back the former players and pull in new ones.

Dominion did this with a few expansions (including the cards needed to play every game in some expansions) and eventually released a base deck (something akin to shield agents, wounds, bystanders, scheme twists). So you could pick up the base set and any old expansion to jump in even when the game was 5-6 years into it's life. I think I heard King of Tokyo and a couple other games are going to this sort of format as well.

Hitching on to the MCU is only going to help Legendary in sales. I'd fully expect (if agents of shield kicks off) to see some mini expansion based on that. It'd be a great twist if each player could include one of the SHIELD agents from the show in their starter deck.

As for more characters don't forget:
-Nova Same Alexander and Richard Rider as Heroes
-The Imperial Guard
-Emperor Vulcan (Mastermind?)
-Universal Church of Truth (Henchmen?)

Nova is a shoe in especially with his role in the ultimate spider-man tv show. Lots of ways to go, the key is going to be the success of the GotG movie to get some non-avid-comic fans excited about some of the cosmic mythos of the marvel universe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
M_Strauss wrote:
UD has to keep reprinting the base game to keep up with demand, right?

No, that's wrong, I think. The first printing of Legendary was very large. Brenzor has said that they've printed enough to meet demand for years to come.

But that doesn't mean they won't do what you're suggesting anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy theCritic
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KennedyMeijiHawk wrote:

-Universal Church of Truth (Henchmen?)

I'm just reading GotG on my Comixology app & these guys would be perfect. They've even got a Matriach that would make a decent Mastermind...and their 'Cardinals' (probably best suited to be henchmen) are seriously cool!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It has to happen! Here are my thoughts from the summer:
Quote:

NEW SPACE-THEMED BOARD in the next big box, with Nova Corps guys replacing the grey heroes. Five Guardians characters, five Inhumans and five Avengers. That is my almost-certainly-wrong prediction!

Now I think I'd rather save the Inhumans for their own small box and put some more random guys in the big box.

Quote:
Here's another crazy idea for a variant game, so neither Heroes who benefit from the city spaces (like Blade) or Heroes who potentially benefit from "space spaces" are left out. The coming Infinity story is described as a "war on two fronts," one on Earth and one in space. So do the same with the game!

Set up both the normal board AND the space board each with its own Villain Deck, Hero Deck, Mastermind and Scheme. Use only two random Tactic cards for each Mastermind, though, to avoid impossibility. You can recruit from either HQ and fight anyone you want. Flip a card from the street Villain deck the first turn, the space deck the second, then continue to alternate. You win it all if you beat both Masterminds, but when the first is defeated, the scheme itself continues until the other goes down! You could also potentially lose the Earth front but still win in space, or vice versa.

Wounds would be taken from the board that generated them, to keep schemes like Legacy Virus intact. Bystanders should also follow suit for schemes like Transform Citizens Into Demons.

Forget that part about a Scheme continuing once a Mastermind is defeated. Not sure why I thought that was necessary. Still really like the idea of winning one campaign but losing the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.