Subject: Objective Spotlight - Heart of the Empire rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jarrett McBride
msg tools
"

Heart of the Empire (Core Set - 22)

Lohkabre:
I'm glad we are looking over some old pods now, especially since we have a considerably larger card pool since the core set came out. A couple months ago, I would have given this card a much lower score, but sith meta has changed since the release of the Sith Holocron..."

Read more at the redesigned site -

http://toptiergaming.com/articles?showarticle=51
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in the Core Set only days, I had a lot of success running two of this set. I haven't used it lately, but with the Executor set now available and HotE being a good way to get the Executor out if you don't draw your Holocrons, I may have to dust this one off and give it another try.

Thanks for cross-posting here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Underrated as always (not by you guys, but by everyone). I'm still the only person that runs 2 of these in my meta, heck I've pretty much the only one that has the whole time.

I don't think I've ever lost in tournament play with my sith heart of the empire deck. You've horrible underrated the 3 resources it can give which is a huge boost early or to play one of the 3 cost events on an opponents turn they were not ready for. Force Stasis is underrated by everyone to I think. It's a card that can stall a whole turn for light side. So it's basically a +2 to the death star dial for 1 cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
Underrated as always (not by you guys, but by everyone). I'm still the only person that runs 2 of these in my meta, heck I've pretty much the only one that has the whole time.

I don't think I've ever lost in tournament play with my sith heart of the empire deck. You've horrible underrated the 3 resources it can give which is a huge boost early or to play one of the 3 cost events on an opponents turn they were not ready for. Force Stasis is underrated by everyone to I think. It's a card that can stall a whole turn for light side. So it's basically a +2 to the death star dial for 1 cost.

There's also the part where that 10 health victory can be a bit of a trap. The defense fleets push it back to 15, in line with normal victory conditions. If you get lucky and manage to pull both defense fleets, they're actually going to be chasing after a harder target in pursuit of an "easy" win. It's so freakin' Sith, I love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett McBride
msg tools
While I didn't review the set this time around, I somewhat agree with you. I won a Regional running two copies of the set.

The three resources can be useful at times (especially towards the end of the game where you can just focus it to close it out). Force stasis is amazing and one of my favorite cards printed - you can use it to prevent damage or push out damage to finish the game off (and is one of those cards that gets better when you have Palpatine on the board to keep getting back). The defense fleet is a good defender (5 health, shielding, and 5 damage - which for Sith it is very easy to win edge battles), and There is No Escape is amazing if your opponent sets up further than you do.

The only problem with it is the negative effect on the objective, and sadly that's more relevant than it was sets ago - Vehicles are much more explosive than they were before, and played a lot more, so running this set would be a good call if you expect a character-heavy meta.

Also, for the person that said playing defense fleet boosts its health - yes, and no. While it technically does, it also means your opponent's blaster damage is now blast damage, so you have to really watch out for the opponent attacking in big groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Romeo
Canada
Chicoutimi
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Au contraire!!!

I thought that way at first, but it seems that this objective can be an advantage... When playing LS, I LOVEEEE to split my attack! It allows to split DS defenses and sometimes get a few unprotected damages!!! Also the defenders don't know the exact splitting you're going to do and the real counter to that are focus, which you're stronger than your opponent anyway!

So when you have this objective's out, you can simply MAX DEFENSE this objective an it's easier to defend when you max defense all your eggs in the same basket! If they come too close to defeating your other objectives then you can switch by protecting these objectives instead!

What I mean by that is that now attacking this objective doesn't really help you win with 3 objectives and attacking other objectives doesn't really help you win by destroying HotE!!!

Don't forget also the cards that add +3 health to an objective!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingAnus3 wrote:
Au contraire!!!

I thought that way at first, but it seems that this objective can be an advantage... When playing LS, I LOVEEEE to split my attack! It allows to split DS defenses and sometimes get a few unprotected damages!!! Also the defenders don't know the exact splitting you're going to do and the real counter to that are focus, which you're stronger than your opponent anyway!

So when you have this objective's out, you can simply MAX DEFENSE this objective an it's easier to defend when you max defense all your eggs in the same basket! If they come too close to defeating your other objectives then you can switch by protecting these objectives instead!

What I mean by that is that now attacking this objective doesn't really help you win with 3 objectives and attacking other objectives doesn't really help you win by destroying HotE!!!

Don't forget also the cards that add +3 health to an objective!!!!!
It's even crazier if you manage to draw two in your opening hand. Meaning you can pick both, potentially have at LEAST 8 resources on tap for a major push, and your opponent needs to either pick one, or get their damage really scattered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.