18 Posts

Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Fastest victories ever rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
limone novecento
Germany
flag msg tools
After finishing two very fast W&W games (one tech victory in turn 6 in a PBF game and one economic victory in turn 4 in a F2F game), I'm wondering what would be the fastest possible victories, respectively, what are the fastest victories you have witnessed so far. Going through the PBF games, we have:

Cultural victory in turn 7, game #31 (novecento)
Economic victory in turn 6, game #44 (novecento)
Military victory in turn 4, game #87 (Itchi)
Technological victory in turn 6, game #94 (novecento)

In the F2F games I've played so far, we also had:

Some cultural victories in turn 6,
One economic victory in turn 4.

Personally, I think that an economic victory in turn 3 is really impossible. But a military victory in turn 3, a cultural or a technological victory in turn 5 might be possible.
Has anybody seen that happening and can maybe describe such a game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RoyalRook
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How did he win economic victory in 4 turns? I am more interested in that. We need a rematch I have yet to Germany before, is board game a huge thing over there? Seem like that's where all the good players come from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dettmar
United States
Ontario
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
royalrook2013 wrote:
How did he win economic victory in 4 turns? I am more interested in that. We need a rematch I have yet to Germany before, is board game a huge thing over there? Seem like that's where all the good players come from.

that seems imposible... I would love to know the details on how that happened

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
limone novecento
Germany
flag msg tools
Okay, I think I can still remember most of it. So here is what I did (I played Greece):

Turn 1:
adept democracy (1 coin)
adept rationalism
+6 trade
learn HBR
+4 trade
harvest silk
+1 hut in movement

Turn 2:
found 2. city
adept organized religion (2 coins)
+2 trade
learn pottery
+17 trade (with silk on HBR)
harvest ressource + silk
use pottery (3 coins)
use democracy (4 coins)
research printing press

Turn 3:
+ 2 trade
learn code of laws
harvest 2 ressources
use pottery (5 coins)
use democracy (6 coins)
use printing press (7 coins)
+1 village in movement,-1 unit (8 coins)
research bureaucracy (9 coins)

Turn 4:
+2 trade
learn civil service (10 coins)
harvest 1 ressource
build infantry
use pottery (11 coins)
use democracy (12 coins)
use printing press (13 coins)
+1 village in movement (14 coins)
village was a GP (out of 3 GPs)->15 coins

Actually it was slightly different because I also spend some culture from the greek ability to advance on the culture track (actually I'm not sure whether I got the GP from the village or the 3rd culture step) and received a ressource/trade in return for the kickbacks from HBR. But I don't remember everything in detail so I just sketched the core idea..
You see it's not only possible, it's not even hard to do
(Btw, Greece is truely overpowered. Perfect for a culture victory, even better for an economic victory, huge military potential with early investments and lvl 2 infantry units and if you want you have also enough trade to go for a tech victory and besides it's the best civ for a GP-based strategy which is the most entertaining in my eyes..perfect civ for beginners)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bli bla
msg tools
mbmb
I remeber winning a game very fast with Greece and economic while testing W&W ^^.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
limone novecento
Germany
flag msg tools
And while we are on it, here is my concept for a turn-3-military win (although that won't work in my gaming group as we're mostly experienced players):

Play Spain, adept natural religion, get 2 barracks and a workshop from the Spanish ability.
Start a building program and research logistics in turn 2.
Build the Statue of Zeus in turn 3 and attack the opponent's capital with -2 combat bonus but surperior units.
Better to attack the player to your right such that he can't react anymore when you build the Statue of Zeus. If you're (very) lucky he hasn't done anything for his defence yet and you take his capital.

So the remaining question is:
Has anybody witnessed a cultural or technological victory in turn 5 (or earlier) and can tell about it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim E.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the original Arabia Turn 5 culture victory wasn't hard^^ but I haven't tried them since the nerf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
"Where are you from?" "Long story. The Pacific Ocean, I guess."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Itchi apparently got a military victory in 4 turns--how was that done? A summary like the one novecento gave us in this thread would be great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Wolf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mythdracon wrote:
Itchi apparently got a military victory in 4 turns--how was that done? A summary like the one novecento gave us in this thread would be great.

It was in PBF, you can check out the whole game here http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1018608/civilization-pbf...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bli bla
msg tools
mbmb
Mythdracon wrote:

With W&W, I think 3 turn military victory with Spain can be done.
Here it was F&F only, so I was missing the +1 move from Natural religion ^^.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ca$h
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
novecento wrote:
Okay, I think I can still remember most of it. So here is what I did (I played Greece):

Turn 1:
adept democracy (1 coin)
adept rationalism
+6 trade
learn HBR
+4 trade
harvest silk
+1 hut in movement

Turn 2:
found 2. city
+2 trade
learn pottery
harvest ressource + silk
use pottery (3 coins)
use democracy (4 coins)
research printing press

Turn 3:
+ 2 trade
learn code of laws
harvest 2 ressources
use pottery (5 coins)
use democracy (6 coins)

Turn 4:
+2 trade
harvest 1 ressource
build infantry
use pottery (11 coins)
use democracy (12 coins)

Actually it was slightly different because I also spend some culture from the greek ability to advance on the culture track (actually I'm not sure whether I got the GP from the village or the 3rd culture step) and received a ressource/trade in return for the kickbacks from HBR. But I don't remember everything in detail so I just sketched the core idea..
You see it's not only possible, it's not even hard to do
(Btw, Greece is truely overpowered. Perfect for a culture victory, even better for an economic victory, huge military potential with early investments and lvl 2 infantry units and if you want you have also enough trade to go for a tech victory and besides it's the best civ for a GP-based strategy which is the most entertaining in my eyes..perfect civ for beginners)

I guess this depends very much on getting lucky with tiles, and having villages to attack. But I must say, pretty impressive if possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donatas Bartkėnas
msg tools
mb
cash1981 wrote:

I guess this depends very much on getting lucky with tiles, and having villages to attack. But I must say, pretty impressive if possible.

Impressive? I feel the word your looking for is "bullpatootie" (yay censoring).
The other 3 players must have truly thought "wow, what a great match"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom franklin
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
novecento wrote:

Turn 1:
adept democracy (1 coin)
adept rationalism
+6 trade
learn HBR
+4 trade
harvest silk
+1 hut in movement

Turn 2:
found 2. city
+2 trade
learn pottery
harvest ressource + silk
use pottery (3 coins)
use democracy (4 coins)
research printing press

Turn 3:
+ 2 trade
learn code of laws
harvest 2 ressources
use pottery (5 coins)
use democracy (6 coins)

Turn 4:
+2 trade
harvest 1 ressource
build infantry
use pottery (11 coins)
use democracy (12 coins)

So, what would have been the best counter-strategy an opponent could have use to defeat this player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bli bla
msg tools
mbmb
Military is the best way to counter Economic.
An economic rush can only be countered by a Military Rush and normally you are dead as economic doens't give any military bonus or defense unlike culture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom franklin
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Itchi wrote:
Military is the best way to counter Economic.
An economic rush can only be countered by a Military Rush and normally you are dead as economic doens't give any military bonus or defense unlike culture.

That makes sense.

And what would be the best counter to a fourth turn military victory?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Dedalus

Massachusetts
msg tools
In my experience, military victories can be a high risk endeavor. This is because all the opposing players will work together to prevent it.

Usually, the 2-3 other players in the game will work to shut down the most aggressive military player and set them back more than a couple turns.

This is also why 2-player games sometimes aren't very fun. There isn't a balancing force to prevent the game from just being an all-out race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Wolf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhport12 wrote:
In my experience, military victories can be a high risk endeavor. This is because all the opposing players will work together to prevent it.

Usually, the 2-3 other players in the game will work to shut down the most aggressive military player and set them back more than a couple turns.

This is also why 2-player games sometimes aren't very fun. There isn't a balancing force to prevent the game from just being an all-out race.

But this is only true if it's not a rush. If a player starts attacking on turn 3 and goes for the capital on turn 4 the other players won't be near with their units, their tech will most likely not provide them with any solutions and their culture cards will not reach the enemy (if they happen to draw any useful ones that soon).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kurz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A military rush depends on a careless player who does#nt build units, has no military bonus or city walls. Even Animal Husbandry can be enough defense for a rush.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.