Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy arrived today and having only just finished painting the figures from the main set, I thought I'd best not waste time and prep and wash the figures ready for an undercoat. Seeing how this means I won't be playing for a while, these are my initial observations on the physical aspects of the game;

Why does it say 77 figures on the front of the box when there are actually 87? I guess I should be grateful but I did have a rant when I first saw the box lid and remembered the Fantasy Flight pics offering 85 (where does all the disparity come from?).

There are still the old leaning at an angle and bent spear issues but dipping the offending piece in recently boiled water seems to revert the figure to its cast location.

The figures seem to be made of a different grade of plastic however this shouldn't make any difference to priming and painting (I hope). Different colours of casting plastic have been used I guess to denote expansion figures from the base set.

Some figures have rough patches where they have been removed from sprues. Almost like they were done in a hurry. This was not a problem with the main set.

Generally the casting quality is excellent with the same style of raised detail to give best painting contrast. However, the Tree Ent casting looks initially impressive but take a closer look at those tangled branches. That looks like crimped and twisted copper electrical wire. Yuk and lazy sculpting guys.

OK Treebeard is cast in silver plastic to denote him as a leader but as a figure he is identical to the rest. As a result, when painted he with look exactly the same unless a radical new paint scheme is applied or the figure is remodelled. I don't think a different coloured base will be sufficiently visible. I need some inspiration here, HELP!

I think the board wins the award for most cuts and creases to un-necessarily fit it in a small box. A marginally longer box could have accommodated a board divided into quarters, rather than the eight section effort we have been given which peaks and troughs at every junction. The box could then have been shallower so there would have been no volume issues. The ludicous thing is that the board when folded into 8 is significantly smaller than the box in length and bredth. What were the packaging designers thinking? Artwork is good though.

The original rules are printed on glossy high quality paper that has stood the test of being read and reread. However the two rule books with this are printed on matt lesser quality paper that will grease up and wear relatively quickly. At £35 this is not a budget game, I think we deserve premium quality componants, not this cheap tat.

Having waited such a long time for this to reach the shops, I have to express general disapointment in aspects of the physical quality of the game, problems that could have been easily avoided with better investment in materials and a bit of design forethought. A second edition reissue would not be a bad idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
Why does it say 77 figures on the front of the box when there are actually 87?

It's simply an error.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/106262

Scroll down to read Roberto Di Meglio's answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juha Meriläinen
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
Big Bad Lex wrote:

OK Treebeard is cast in silver plastic to denote him as a leader but as a figure he is identical to the rest. As a result, when painted he with look exactly the same unless a radical new paint scheme is applied or the figure is remodelled. I don't think a different coloured base will be sufficiently visible. I need some inspiration here, HELP!

I think we deserve premium quality componants, not this cheap tat.

What if you used silver-coloured base, put a little bit more grey to his beard and leaves (he is older), and use different coloured eyes. Those three things together would made him different, but still looking like the other ents.

You are right! The materials used in figures, rulebooks and cards are not as good quality as in the basic game! At least cards should have been made from the exactly same material, so that the new cards wouldn't feel (and look) different in your hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juha Meriläinen
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
Shakaali wrote:

You are right! The materials used in figures, rulebooks and cards are not as good quality as in the basic game! At least cards should have been made from the exactly same material, so that the new cards wouldn't feel (and look) different in your hand.

Actually, the material of the cards might be the same. They felt a little bit different at first probably because they are new and smooth! (So I was wrong - sorry!)
But the font size is bigger, so the designers have actually listened the folks who were asking for that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Treebeard issue has been solved and I'll upload a pic as soon as Aldie sorts his Mojo out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.