Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Taylor
United States
under surveillance
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was somewhat difficult to convince Laura to play -- she's not interested in wargames. When I told her that Twilight Struggle was a game of avoiding war (thermonuclear, that is) that peaked her interest.

We both sat down to our first game. I was the US while Laura played the Soviets. This was an incredibly short game; we barely got to the Mid War period before the Soviets won. Despite the fact that we pretty much had no clue what to do and had to carefully read each card in our hands, our first game lasted less than a hour.

We probably used bone-headed strategies (especially me), since this was our first game. We concentrated on setting up good scoring opportunities and let the rest of the world slide. That's how I lost in a big-time way by early turn 4!

Laura had gotten a number of US cards she didn't want to play, so she played "Captured Nazi Scientists." That event, coupled with a later space race success, enabled her to dump two cards each turn into space race. And the Soviets were always successful (while the US was not)! By turn 4, "the Bear had landed" granting a cumulative 13 VPs to the Soviets! Yikes! My unfocussed play allowed that total to stray to the -20 mark and the Soviets won hands down with their technological and economic superiority.

That game was so much fun that we agreed to play another game Saturday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, this might well be a Twilight Struggle record! Landing on the Moon in T4! Amazing rolls coupled with the US not getting an animal into space (as you should have, I have to say).

Landing on the Moon by 1960 or so... Crazy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.