Subject: Two strategy questions about the game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Going first seems to be a huge advantage. Not only do you get to do command actions first (getting an early shot off or moving somebody behind cover) but also your units can take their full actions and, later, react to the enemy. Effectively, each unit can get up to 3 actions (if you took 2 actions and then later reacted).

The player who goes second, if they react, only get one action later, in other words, at most they get 2 actions.

Am I missing something that balances this, or it is just part of the luck aspect?

2) Why do walkers die so much? To me the game really showcases the cool walkers, but in practice they often times die before they provide much value. Is this an experience others have?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Going first can definitely be an advantage for the reasons you describe. However, in my experience it's balanced out by a few factors. First, because the player with the fewest hits wins initiative, the person with the smaller force wins initiative more often, thereby helping the player who is losing (though not always), which in turn helps prevent the run-away leader effect. The loser also has more points to spend in the command phase, which can be very helpful, especially in the second half of the game.

2) It takes a while to learn how to play them effectively. They can be pretty devastating. However, that does have the effect of making them more of a target, which is why they seem to go so quickly. I'd also argue that if they were more powerful, they'd have to cost more points, which would throw the balance off, particularly since they're support units by design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wheelockian wrote:
The loser also has more points to spend in the command phase, which can be very helpful, especially in the second half of the game.

I still don't think I use command points very effectively. Why do they become more helpful in the second half? Because everybody is closer together?

I find that I can usually only use 2 or 3 commands because I only get to do one radio command and then there are usually only 1 or 2 other units within command range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I find them more helpful later in the game because, by then, you're into the heavier action, so being able to move units out of harm's way or get an attack off (which the enemy can't react to in the Command Phase) is more important. Early on, you're often just moving into position, so they tend not to be as useful.

Don't forget you need to use a command point to access your platoon's special order. You can also use them to regroup a unit that may have a lot of suppression markers on them.

A few units (those with black ops, Axis apes, etc.) can act in the Command Phase outside the 12".

You also don't need to have LOS to issue a command.

(You probably already know all this stuff, but other newcomers reading the thread might not remember it all.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone C.
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the flaw of the rules, and I really hope they will fix this, is the command phase when the player with more units be the initiating player: sure, statistically isn't common, but it could happen and can change the game (activating more units than the opponent could be devastating)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Japan
Saitama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) This is a concern I had when I first stared playing Dust Warfare as well. It just seemed like a massive advantage to go first. But I've played a lot of games now, almost all of them with the SSU who often field a large number of units. I rarely win initative, but I've still managed to win almost all my battles.

If you have more units than your enemy you just need to be prepared for it. Go in with the expectation of going second and you should do fine.

2) Well... there are walker and there are walkers. At the state of the game right now, the first walkers released (the medium V4s) have ended up in the middle of heavy guns on one side and cheap light walkers on the other. A normal V4 walker won't last that long in a regular game unless you really babysit it, so there's been a shift to using the heavier V5-V6 walkers on the one hand (because they can take more punishment) or the light V3 walkers since they're cheap enough so you don't care too much when they are destroyed.

Or you can do like me and field four medium walkers together with a generous amount of infantry and simply charge at the enemy line! Most of the time the target saturation means that my opponent don't have time to deal with them all. Hehe!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Super Cruz

New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) In the command phase if you give a unit an action it receives a reaction token. That unit in the unit phase would then only have one action.

if you have 4 orders issued to your units, that is four units that now can't react in the unit phase. That's basically why I tend not to use too many orders early game.

Nothing better than moving into range of a unit that cant react and lighting it up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.