Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb

Is there an official or well-tested way to expand SE4X to 6-7 players? I have a buddy interested in modding Eclipse to make sort of a 7-player long-term campaign that sort of feels like Enders Game, and I'm not 100% sure if Eclipse is the way to go with that.

I own SE4X, but haven't played it yet. I know the game is scenario driven, whereas Eclipse isn't. I'm just wondering if SE4X would better suit his purpose (provided it's easily expanded to 6-7 players).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ocean Druen
United States
Buffalo Grove
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You need two boards and use wormholes to connect them...

BUT the one thing that is great about SE4X (IMO) is that it is easily moddable, much more than Eclipse - but for more than 4 players you will need 2 game sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Bohne
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like SE4X, but didn't the Eclipse expansion allow for 6 (or more?) players? I remember seeing playtest pictures, but I don't know if it's out yet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
dasher47051 wrote:
I like SE4X, but didn't the Eclipse expansion allow for 6 (or more?) players? I remember seeing playtest pictures, but I don't know if it's out yet...

9 players, I believe, up from 5? And I think it’s out. But I hated Eclipse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ocean Druen
United States
Buffalo Grove
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is more difficult to mod Eclipse, while SE4X is very moddable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space is intentionally left empty]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As Ocean said the official scenario book includes a "monster setup" using two boards with 4 players starting on each and warp points connecting the two boards.
I also agree that SE4X is much easier to modify due to the modular rules.

However, as has been pointed out, Eclipse also has an official expansion that allows for up to 9 players so you might not even have to mod it.
EDIT: The expansion actually is very good if you like eclipse, but doesn't change the base game much. So if you'd have to mod base eclipse beyond adding more players you'd have to mod the expansion too.

It's hard to say which is better without knowing more about what exactly your campaign is supposed to entail. If I'm reading it right and you want an overarching story between multiple games neither fits IMO, as both start with one planet/system empires every game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, guys. It seems like he's sold on hammering Eclipse into doing this campaign mode thing. On the plus side, he's had countless plays under his belt, so I trust he knows the concert of mechanics a LOT better than me, but I suspect there's going to be much more work here than he thinks.

As an aside, we played a 7-player Eclipse game last weekend (non-simultaneous) and I was surprised how quick it went, considering the game lengths from previous 3-4 player sessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
The Eclipse expansion allows for 8 or 9 I think. Though I'm not sure how moddable the game is.

You could always get a bigger hex map for SE, instead of two maps. You'd need chits though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory Colling
United States
VICTOR
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SE4X 2X game can be adapted to 8 players!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loris Pagnotta
Italy
Brusaporto
Bergamo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why hurt himself ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ocean Druen
United States
Buffalo Grove
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zerstorer88 wrote:
SE4X 2X game can be adapted to 8 players!

First session report !?

Second, it would seem more difficult to put the like colors next to each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory Colling
United States
VICTOR
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go to the SPACE EMPIRES 4X expansion game CLOSE ENCOUNTERS at BGG for more on our double map game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meh. You can quote me on that.
United States
Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You could just dump all the tokens into an opaque bag and have all six or seven players draw one at a time at random. Then play with what ya got!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plaid Dragon
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bet there are more people out there than just me who would pay for a 2nd set of all existing base-game/expansion counters in four new colors as well as a 2nd map.

Say: violet, orange, tan, aqua?

My regular play group usually numbers 6 so we never really get the opportunity to play SE4X.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space is intentionally left empty]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the best you can do is buy a second set and mark all counters in that set somehow. Either fully repaint them or just put a small mark on each side. You'd only have to do this for the player counters. That's only what, 100-200 counters?

While a set with different colours would be nice (and I'd be tempted to buy it even though I play solo or 2 player) it would be prohibitively expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps someone with graphical skills could make some custom counter sheets in new colours for printing?

It might even be possible to scan the original ones and tweak the colour palette in Photoshop. Print and mount, or print on thick card board and cut. Should be doable.

Edit: Would need to clarify any copyright issues first, of course, but if they are for personal use only, I don't think it would be a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plaid Dragon
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's an idea. Used to play a lot of F&E. We printed and mounted counters for unreleased races (at the time) like the ISC and for races/units in a lot of custom games.

With pdf's/png's/whatever's of the existing counters I could easily change their colors and then make them into counters. Some of the tedium could be eliminated by spray painting the back side of the counters to the appropriate color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
Plaid Dragon,

Are you volunteering to do it? Because that would be cool. I can get the files for you.

Also, the second expansion should be up for pre-order soon. It will include a 5th player, but it will be different than a normal empire. It is very unique, has different ships, and does not use a production sheet. It allows the game to be played 5 player, but it was really meant to provide a completely different race (doing more than what a normal Empire Advantage card can do). Since it doesn't use a production sheet, it is also a good teaching empire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plaid Dragon
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would very much like to make the counters; however, when I did this for F&E I was younger, unmarried, and kidless. Not true now, thus I don't think I could realistically free up that kind of time.

I'm happy at the news about the 2nd xpac though and look forward to your 5th race. More counters for me to clip I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries. I completely understand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shack Pack
msg tools
mbmbmb
Plaid_Dragon wrote:
I bet there are more people out there than just me who would pay for a 2nd set of all existing base-game/expansion counters in four new colors as well as a 2nd map.

Say: violet, orange, tan, aqua?

My regular play group usually numbers 6 so we never really get the opportunity to play SE4X.

Or you can use large tokens under a repeated colour, like poker chips.

If there are two players playing yellow, one of them will use the poker chips under his tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.