7 Posts

Dungeon Crawl» Forums » General

Subject: Status update and random play question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dearle Riggs
United States
flag msg tools
First off, I have to say I love this game but have a couple questions about various posts I've seen and a question about the random rules.

I'm curious as to the current status of the game as I know I saw you were working on finishing up some coloring a few years back but I haven't seen any updates since then. There's also been mention of various expansions in the works, I'd like to know if/when we might expect to see some of those coming out. The website hasn't had any new posts for a few years which may lead many to think it's abandoned and miss out on such a great game.

As far as my question goes, when playing a random dungeon (ie with no DM) after you place the first dungeon tile, do you put a door on 1 room to get you started or do you put doors on all of the rooms? Then after you draw a card, or roll if not using the cards, to populate the room and if it says to add 1 door; do you put that door in the same room or is this how you add doors into other rooms that may not be connected to the one you're in? Any clarification on how initially getting into the rooms of a tile works would be greatly appreciated.

-Dearle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex bermudez
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
As things go, my job is taking up more of my time than I used to have, so development on the game has slowed down quite a bit. I haven't abandoned it, and fully intend to pick it back up once I've got the time to do so. The game is in a pretty much complete state, so I'm comfortable where it's sitting right now until I have the time to take over it again.

As for your rules question, your characters start out outside of the board. You place a single door at the edge of the board, stick your characters behind it, open it, and then draw a card/roll some dice to populate the room. New doors are only placed when a card is drawn, so at the very beginning, you have one door. You step through it, populate the room, adding whatever doors it tells you to add, but only in that room. Then you keep exploring from there.

If this wasn't made clear in the rulebook, I'll make a note to update it next time I give it a pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dearle Riggs
United States
flag msg tools
Alex,

Thank you for the update, I can definitely understand the lack of time concept. Also, thank you for the clarification about the random dungeons. I guess I wasn't expecting to be placing furniture and mobs in the initial corridor for some reason. Also, it sounds like when I open each room and it says how many doors to place, I can place them on any new room as well and not just the one I'm entering. Is that correct?

-Dearle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex bermudez
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hmm, that brings up an interesting point. We always start in rooms and avoid corridors as much as possible, so you only get populated rooms. This will definitely have to go in the rules.

If you want to start in a "safe room" with no Monsters or Furniture, place a Stairs tile where you want your entry point to be. Each Hero will start on there. Then place one door anywhere in the room, and begin play as normal.

As far as placing doors in new rooms, it's just for that one room that you're entering. So any new doors have to be placed on a wall that is within that new room. The spirit of the rule is to not have doors pop into other, previously-explored rooms, and to not place doors in places that haven't been explored yet. However, it has sometimes led to doors being placed that go into adjacent rooms. I always just thought of these as hidden doors or something. I'll try and make that more clear in the rulebook.

However, as with all rules, you should tailor them to your game experience. If you feel you've got a better flow by placing doors into unexplored rooms, by all means house-rule it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dearle Riggs
United States
flag msg tools
That makes sense, thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joel siragher
United States
silver spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearle: how has the random dungeons worked out for you.

dearler wrote:
Alex,

Thank you for the update, I can definitely understand the lack of time concept. Also, thank you for the clarification about the random dungeons. I guess I wasn't expecting to be placing furniture and mobs in the initial corridor for some reason. Also, it sounds like when I open each room and it says how many doors to place, I can place them on any new room as well and not just the one I'm entering. Is that correct?

-Dearle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dearle Riggs
United States
flag msg tools
Joel,

Sorry for the extremely late reply. I haven't had a chance to get back and play it yet. I reread the manual shortly after that and never ended up playing again which means I'll have to run through the manual again beforehand. I tend to buy allot of games instead of playing them repeatedly as there are so many I haven't played. Still have some on the shelf that haven't been played at all; Mice and Mystics I'm looking at you!

I'll eventually get back around to playing this one as we only made it about 3 deep into the campaign. I loved the game, wife just got tired of me being against her and the kids all the time which was why I was trying to figure out the random dungeon setup. One of the kids decided to pull a Leeroy Jenkins and open 2 more rooms while they where still fighting so that didn't help them at all and got him killed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.