The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Doomed 1 + Surge in Objective-Guarding Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Dickie

Mississippi
msg tools
mbmbmb
So it was back to Escape from Dol Guldur last night (2-handed but solo), and all three objective cards got a location card as a "guard". One of the locations had "Doomed 1. Surge." printed on it.

I treated this as if it had emerged during Staging, i.e., I upped both hands' threat by 1 and added another card from the encounter deck to the staging area.

I checked the rules (promise!) to see if there was any reason not to do this, and also had a glance at the FAQ to double check, and I didn't see any reason not to take that action.

I wanted to triple-check here, though: was that the correct interpretation?

In case you're wondering, the fourth card was a harmless Treachery (deal 1 damage to all exhausted characters, I think it was). This ended up being extremely fortunate, because in Round 2 Staging, I ended up with two more Doomed 1/Surge location cards, and both of them surged to location cards.

That's 7 location cards in the staging area.

Only a sparkling hand in the Spirit/Leadership deck - Steward of Gondor, Gandalf, Sneak Attack, [Retrieve an Ally with Cost of (X) from your discard pile and put him into play], Celebrian's Stone, Snowbourne Scout - allowed me to tread water and wade through that mess.

With Steward of Gondor on Eowyn and Theodred keeping his resource (Aragorn was in prison), I was able to get Gandalf into play in 3 successive turns. Sneak Attack + Gandalf in Turn 2; Played from hand using mostly Leadership resources in Turn 3; resuscitated from discard pile using Spirit resources in Turn 4. Plus I think I got a Snowbourne scout in play in there somewhere, if I recall correctly, which dealt with one of the 1-Quest-Cost locations.

Between all that and Traveling aggressively - at the cost of 4 cards discarded at random - and some luck with weak enemies, which Gimli could take undefended or the Scouts could chump-block and Legolas could kill, which allowed progress to be made on the active locations, I managed to clear it out and go on to win a very nip-and-tuck game. Gandalf eventually went on to make 5 appearances in the game.

Also of note: I desperately wanted a Northern Tracker or two, so I used all three Gandalf appearances to draw 3 cards for Spirit/Leadership, and I used Beravor to draw 2 cards for Spirit/Leadership in every turn. From a 40-card deck, I drew 37 cards by the end of the game, and did not uncover even one of them.

That did, however, put all the other good cards into play, which was nice.

By the end, the threat level was the biggest problem. I think I ended with 48 threat in Tactics/Lore and 46 threat in Spirit/Leadership.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A J Dickie wrote:
So it was back to Escape from Dol Guldur last night (2-handed but solo), and all three objective cards got a location card as a "guard". One of the locations had "Doomed 1. Surge." printed on it.

I treated this as if it had emerged during Staging, i.e., I upped both hands' threat by 1 and added another card from the encounter deck to the staging area.

I checked the rules (promise!) to see if there was any reason not to do this, and also had a glance at the FAQ to double check, and I didn't see any reason not to take that action.

I wanted to triple-check here, though: was that the correct interpretation?

Yes, Doomed and Surge trigger during setup and for guard cards. When drawing a card with surge as a guard, only the first card (the card with surge on it) counts as the guard. The card drawn for the surge is simply resolved as normal and does not become an additional guard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde Cloggie
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmb
To the main question: yes, you played it correctly.

From your game description it looks like you used Stand and Fight to bring Gandalf back from the discard pile? If so, that move was outlawed on the basis that a neutral ally does not belong to "any sphere". I know, I know, it's ridiculous and I promise that by and large the game makes a bit more sense but it is how the ruling stands, I'm afraid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Dickie

Mississippi
msg tools
mbmbmb
clydecloggie wrote:

From your game description it looks like you used Stand and Fight to bring Gandalf back from the discard pile? If so, that move was outlawed on the basis that a neutral ally does not belong to "any sphere". I know, I know, it's ridiculous and I promise that by and large the game makes a bit more sense but it is how the ruling stands, I'm afraid.

Ah, well, I'm glad I posted the longer explanation, because that's exactly what I did.

I'm pretty sure I then lost the game, because without Gandalf's 4 Willpower I would have gone over the Threat limit before the end of the game.

Thanks for the explanation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Fella
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A J Dickie wrote:
clydecloggie wrote:

Ah, well, I'm glad I posted the longer explanation, because that's exactly what I did.

I'm pretty sure I then lost the game, because without Gandalf's 4 Willpower I would have gone over the Threat limit before the end of the game.

Thanks for the explanation.

I think it's safe to say that every now and then Gandalf likes to "bend the rules" for the greater good. I'd count it a win haha!

Sounds like a tough but fun session. I'm still in my initial deck building phase, and I've got two that I like, but I want to see the one beat Passage through Mirkwood by itself before I attempt to two-hand Journey down the Anduin and the extremely intimidating Escape from Dol Guldur. Love the challenge in this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Dickie

Mississippi
msg tools
mbmbmb
OmegaDolphin wrote:

I think it's safe to say that every now and then Gandalf likes to "bend the rules" for the greater good. I'd count it a win haha!

Sounds like a tough but fun session. I'm still in my initial deck building phase, and I've got two that I like, but I want to see the one beat Passage through Mirkwood by itself before I attempt to two-hand Journey down the Anduin and the extremely intimidating Escape from Dol Guldur. Love the challenge in this game!

Nah, I think proper game balance requires that you lose at least some of the time, especially on the hard scenarios.

Having played the scenario 7 times over the weekend and last night I've got 3 wins and 4 losses, which seems about right.

After I beat it without making an improper play, I'll move on to the Hunt for Gollum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.