Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Hansen
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
A situation came up last night that I couldn't find in the rulebook.

A CSA block was situated so that its position crossed the road from Emmitsburg, and its rear area faced the Union reinforcement entry point, so that any Union block using on-road reinforcement movement would approach from the CSA block's rear.

Sure enough, the Union player did an on-road reinforcement move from Emmitsburg, and we could not determine where his block would have to stop. Under the reinforcement rules section, the rulebook says:

Quote:
During on-road reinforcement entry, if a moving block enters either a position in an enemy field of fire or a position adjacent to an enemy block, it must end its move there: it cannot continue past that position.

Neither condition was true; the rear area is not a field of fire, and the CSA block's position is not adjacent to itself.

We determined that the rules suggested that the Union block could indeed use its on-road reinforcement move to move through the enemy occupied position, but would have to stop in a position within that block's field of fire. But, as we were certain that this was a misapprehension on our part, we decided that the Union block should stop in the CSA block's rear area (it was the strategically superior move anyway).

I'm sure this is handled in the rulebook somewhere but I couldn't find it. Help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dypaca
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the top right of page 6:
Quote:
A block can enter a position occupied by an enemy block only in an attack move.

So you can not move into the enemy occupied position with the reinforcement, even if you don't intend to stop there. (Also, if it mattered, I'm pretty sure a block's own position would be considered in its field of fire unless it is obstructed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hansen
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
Excellent. Thanks! So, we were correct; the Union block did indeed have to stop in a position in the CSA block's rear area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.