Jonathan Bristow
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been messing around with node.js for a while, and since I've moved into a new rental house I need to redo my board game storage.

After thinking for a long time about both problems, I decided I needed to make a program to naiively tell me how many shelves I needed of a given size.

The result is bgg-shelve. A simple app that takes your collection and munges it into a graphical shelf layout as simply as possible.

Right now you need to run it on your own machine, I'm still researching options for spinning up a very basic AWS stack so people can use it without having to know what node and npm are.

Screenshots:

What do you think? What should I add next?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's pretty cool!

At the risk of sounding curmudgeonly, is it really easier to run a program and then try to follow its direction in putting the games away than to simply do a largest-to-smallest packing?

Still, again, very cool. I've been meaning to play around with node. I'll have to think up some other idea. This is good inspiration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bristow
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, I don't think it's very good at telling you how to pack your games. I designed it more to provide you with a rough estimate of the space needed to store all your games in a given shelf system. Using my collection, you can see I need a 9 shelf Expedit, and Blokus won't fit.

The more difficult scenario would be an optimized stacker, but I'd rather add easy features right now than put in a solution of the knapsack problem.

Node is awesome and easy. I'm busy refactoring this to be more OO style. Right now it's very anti-node (aka-synchronous chained calls).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jane Doe
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice project. I admire it when people can sink more time into coming up with a program to solve a given problem than it would have taken to solve the problem manually. (I'm often guilty of the same thing.)

I personally have no immediate use for this, as I mostly shelf based on genre/theme/series, but from your todo list on github, I'd wager that a web interface and a list of common shelf sizes would be most important to most people.

Additionally, if you can get the box weight from BGG, that might be another factor worth looking into - like putting the heaviest boxes on the bottom to avoid deforming the box lids of the boxes below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bristow
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh, the weight is a good one. I have the total weight of the shelf being calculated, but it would be good to take into account typical crush weight ratings of boxes when stacking.

I started this project because I was unemployed for a month, and I didn't have enough money to build a storage system and then tweak it to fit my needs. I wanted to be able to rough guess how much money I needed, and then go, so I whipped this up in a day or so, then spent the last few weeks converting it to node.js

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.