Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Go Huskies!...oh, well
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of mine sent me this link, because he knew that I'd been bemoaning the expense of getting cable (through the dreaded Comcast) and then buying this package versus not being able to watch any basketball ever, due to the stranglehold on all televised content maintained by the NBA and its manipulative spouse, cable TV. Also, I live in Seattle--the local stations do not carry any NBA content since the Sonics left.

Anyone else have anything good/bad to say about NLP?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Go Huskies!...oh, well
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I've been using a couple of sites, but my computer won't look me in the eye in the morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The last time I was interested in the NBA was circa 1990
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Go Huskies!...oh, well
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Andy, that's a big help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slowcorner wrote:

I gotta admit I pretty started losing interest after Chamberlain, Russell, Thurmond, Reed, etc.

The 3pt shot killed me off.

My daughter-in-law is the asst. women's coach at D3 Calvin College. The only BB I pay attention to anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:

I gotta admit I pretty started losing interest after Chamberlain, Russell, Thurmond, Reed, etc.

Who among them was still playing in 1990?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
molnar wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:

Who among them was still playing in 1990?

Replaying my memory
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
slowcorner wrote:

Yeah, so goes every NBA thread. Maybe we should post NBA threads more often so that the urge leaves...

Anyways, I'm always tempted, but cannot afford the time. I gave up my TV because of too much NFL, and I don't really like football that much. NBA LP would be the biggest timesuck for me. Doesn't NBA LP have a free trial for you to try out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Since all of the league's talent has become concentrated on a handful of teams with 2-3 superstars each, and those teams get non-stop exposure on ESPN/ABC/TNT, all that's left for League Pass are the teams that want to be watched by those specific fans.

I wouldn't bother with League Pass. Any game of importance will be on the national networks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Go Huskies!...oh, well
mbmbmbmbmb
League Pass, for me, would be my only way of watching my team play (and even then, I'd need a DVR). I'm a Pistons fan on the West Coast.

So, I'll take it as a no that anyone here has any experience with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
North Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to subscribe every year, but haven't in a few. A combination of life changes and coverage changes on cable left me with enough excellent basketball on TV without having to pay the extra.

I don't know if it's changed, but NLP was the local broadcasts made available to subscribers. You kind of forget how much less big-league local broadcasts are - not all the production values, not the best announcers / color analysts. You used to get highly compressed, standard-def versions - presumably now you get HD for everything.

I've loved the NBA since the early 70's - always been my favorite sport. It was even great in the late 70's, when you had to stay up late to watch THE NBA FINALS on tape-delay. It's hard to imagine now, but then you got to see Gus Williams and Downtown Freddie Brown lead to Sonics to greatness.

I'd have to want to really watch a specific team, or be a heavy bettor, to sign up for NLP at this point. If you love basketball, though, I can highly recommend Bill Simmons' history of the NBA book - just a fabulous read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michi Kohlbacher
Austria
Graz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought several times about getting a NLP, but due to the time difference it's probably a bad idea, because I either don't watch enough games or I don't get enough sleep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.