Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: I really could use some help rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Bezanson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I am going to worlds to play android:netrunner and xwing minis (primarily netrunner), I live in Minnesota so why the heck not.

My deal with x-wing is that I've never been able to play it competitively asit's very difficult to get out of my house (wife works at night and we have younger kids). I've never even played against an adult so my goal is to have fun. However I did used to play minis games competitively and I prefer competitive play so I have some mental-problems when it comes to showing up and being obliterated.

I was hoping I could lay out what ships I have and get some suggestions. Just to at least know I'm fielding something that theoretically stands a chance to win. That would help my brain.

I had considered fielding darth+howlrunner both with swarm, rounding out with TIE's. I did this against my son who wiped the floor with me with an auto-cannon...is that normal or was it likely operater error?

Anyways, thanks in advance with any help. I'm not opposed to buying one more of the $15 ships.

Xwing - 1
Ywing - 1
Bwing - 1
Yt - 1
Awing - 1

Tie - 3
Advance - 1
Interceptor - 1
Firespray - 1
Bomber - 1

P.S. - would be cool to meet mn folks who like to play. Especially near crystal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Test Candidate (sans Deadly Neurotoxin)
badge
Warming up the deadly neurotoxin...
mbmbmbmbmb
You are one X-Wing Expansion away from either the HSF (Han Shot First), or Chewie/Wedge/Biggs lists. Both are based usually on 1 YT1300 and 2 X-Wings, tho HSF can vary.

Amazon is listing them as in stock ready to ship: http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-X-Wing-Expansion-Pack/dp/161...

They don't have them on the shelf at the Games Center, but I suspect they will on Thursday. (was just there last night)

If you are an Amazon prime member, I would just order it on Prime and have it by Thursday for free. If not, just sign up, it's worth it.

-edit- Chewie/Wedge/Biggs, not Han/Wedge/Biggs, HERP DERP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hexis wrote:
You are one X-Wing Expansion away from either the HSF (Han Shot First), or Han/Wedge/Biggs lists. Both are based usually on 1 YT1300 and 2 X-Wings, tho HSF can vary.

One more vote for Han Shot First (Han Solo plus two Rookie Pilots, with upgrades assigned according to your taste). It's an easy list to learn, actually, and while it has some new bad matchups in the Wave 3 metagame, it will give you the chance to get some table time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Maynard
msg tools
Another vote for Han Shoots First if you can get another x-wing. I won a Regional with it this year and while the meta has evolved quite a bit I still think it's a viable list. A lot like to run Han with Marksmenship but I prefer a more defensive build with Determination and the Falcon title card. It goes like this:

Han with Gunner, Determination, MF title, and Chewie
Rookie pilot x-wing
Rookie pilot x-wing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on what you have:

Lando
Dutch + Ion
Biggs + R2F2

In this list, Lando can give a free action to Biggs, so that he can both focus and use R2F2 for defense. Dutch give a free Target lock to Lando so that he has Target Lock plus Focus each turn. Try to keep Biggs at the back of your sqaud, which is hard because of pilot skill, but it is doable with a little practice. Once Biggs is killed, remember that Lando and Dutch have 360 firing arcs so you don't need to be facing your enemy and flying around and behind them is much better for you.

For a Han shoots first list, you can easily substitute a B-Wing for the other Rookie X-Wing:
Han + Gunner + Marksmanship + MF title
Rookie X-Wing
Blue Squad B-Wing + Fire Control System

With the Imperials you are a bit more limited but something like this could be fun:
Vader + Engine upgrade + PTL + Assault Missiles
Tur Phennir + Veteran Instincts
Bounty Hunter

You can also drop the Engine upgrade and PTL from Vader to put an HLC on the Bounty hunter. Vader and Tur are both 9s and they are very evasive and hard to hit (unless your opponent is flying a Flacon). The BH can dish out punishment and absorb quite a bit as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bezanson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I was afraid of this haha. My son is always rebels and I'm always imperials (he's nine so let him be what he wants right? :-)

I just think its funny, not a limitation at all. Thanks for the responses sofar, this is great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ericbtool wrote:
I was afraid of this haha. My son is always rebels and I'm always imperials (he's nine so let him be what he wants right? :-)

I just think its funny, not a limitation at all. Thanks for the responses sofar, this is great!

4 More ties then (a couple core sets, get the dice). SWARM TIME!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bezanson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I like the lando squad. If I could grow a kick-ass moustache like billy d it'd be a lock for sure.

Do they let you drink colt 45 at worlds?

Yeah ill be running that. Thank you sir.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best advice I can give is to practise moving the ships around on a table. Depending on your build, practice keeping your ships in formation with a particular focus on pilot skill and facing for shooting at an objective.

Build is one part of the game, getting the ships to where they need to be at the right time is the other (Especially if you are going to use Howlrunner etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
ericbtool wrote:

Get the clear 40oz. bottle, and fill it with iced tea or something.

…or, if you don't think it will affect your play, get a thermos for your "iced tea" and fill it with Colt .45.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vorpal Sword wrote:
ericbtool wrote:

Get the clear 40oz. bottle, and fill it with iced tea or something.

…or, if you don't think it will affect your play, get a thermos for your "iced tea" and fill it with Colt .45.

They have Surly on tap. Do it RIGHT!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bezanson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Excuse me sir, but surly does not "work every time"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ericbtool wrote:
Excuse me sir, but surly does not "work every time"

No need to be irritably sullen and churlish in mood or manner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bezanson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
You must not get the bit. I suppose you could youtube billy d williams colt 45 to understand.

One more person I'm older than.....can't seem to shrink that list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I get it. Now go look up "Surly" in the dictionary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bezanson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
..................you win this time hexis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle G
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I would go with a firespray build since you have one, it tends to be solid and a bit more forgiving.

Something like

Krassis Trelix w/ heavy laser cannon
Soontir Fel, push the limit, stealth device
2x Academy Pilot

Or something like that.

Rebels are probably even more forgiving but if you are used to flying imperials then maybe just stick with it for comfort

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.