Tanz der Hornochsen!» Forums » Sessions

Subject: TVB - 5P - Who stepped in what and what it did. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
During our playing of Hacienda, Sheryl arrived and waited patiently (but not too long) for the game to end. We then tried out Tanz der Hornochsen aka 6 Nimmt! The Boardgame. Tanz takes the game play of 6 Nimmt and places it on a game board. Instead of scoring for cards taken, the scoring is various spaces on the board.

On the board are various rows where chits numbered 1-99 will be played. Each player starts with 6 random chits and 4 more are placed on the board in the first 4 rows. Each player will simultaneously select a chit to be played to the board. After all the chits are revealed, they are placed on the board starting with the smallest numbered chit according to a couple of simple rules. First, the chits are played in ascending order. Second, place the chit such that it has the smallest difference to the number below it. On the chance that the lowest number is smaller than all 4 numbers on the board - it is placed next to the highest number to restart that sequence.

Points (which are bad in this game) are scored when one's chit reaches the end of a row. This closes out that row and starts the next row in the game. While in 6 Nimmt, points are scored based on cards collected, Tanz by virtue of the board allows for a larger of variety of things to happen. Some rows trigger "double-plays" where players must play 2 chits per turn. Some rows have negative points (represented by cow droppings) at points along the row. Other rows trigger "happy cows" where any points gained are now positive (instead of negative). I find that these twists add to the enjoyment of the game as there is now some strategy to striving to play to certain rows. Finally, at a couple of points along the scoring track an open hand is triggerered where the chits are played face up and the trailing player (with the most penalty points) plays last to at least have some attempt to control their fate that round.

Another nice feature is the ability to buy additional chits (at a cost of penalty points) should a player decide to have more options. This introduces a chance to mitigate a few bad chits some hand control as one is not stuck with one's additional "deal".

Unfortunately for this session report, the games does play quickly, so the notes were very sparse indeed recording only the final scores. Rich continued to show his usual 6 Nimmt! skill and raced the front in this one early. Despite other valiant efforts to overtake him, Rich did win the race to the dungheap scoring 60 penalty points with Sam, Sheryl, Jeff, and Dave at various points along the track behind him. As Dave had the fewest penalty points - victory to Dave.

As much as I like 6 Nimmt!, I find I like this game just a bit more. One thing I enjoyed is that the play changes over the course of a game. To boil it down, 6 Nimmt is essentially the same card play over and over. In Tanz, enough variety has been added to keep the game interesting at all phases making for a slightly more compelling gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.