Subject: The promo mansion cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron
Switzerland
Leysin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone played with the promo mansion cards yet?

What do you think of them? I will try them out tonight but I am looking forward to your thoughts!

I really like how streamlined Michiel and company made the game, but I wonder if the actions on the mansion cards add to or detract from the fun!

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I used the starting mansion variant during our third play session. She picked first and got the contribution bonus and I picked the title from previous generations bonus. She used her bonus twice and I once.

I feel it adds another opportunity to score points that may not have been there if played without, but not enough influence to imbalance the game.

I haven't tried them yet using the other variant yet. Not sure if they would just pick one blind (very random) when using the Mansion action, or display the Mansions near the board and allow players to choose one when purchased. I think the latter adds some interesting strategy opportunities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
Switzerland
Leysin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good suggestions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
Switzerland
Leysin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if a Venture variant would work as well? The theme is quite rich when it comes to the player board actions and the yellow, blue, and red action spaces...but the green and orange spaces seem a bit generic (likely in order to keep things simple and family friendly, which is cool! I was able to teach my wife so easily!) and lose the theme a bit. In my games there are a whole lot of marriages made or arranged on my player board, frequent visits to the fertility doctor, and fewer visits overall to the other locations.
Is that common?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Lalyman
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
jaxommm wrote:
In my games there are a whole lot of marriages made or arranged on my player board, frequent visits to the fertility doctor, and fewer visits overall to the other locations.
Is that common?

We played like this at first. Recently, our stategies evolved, and now both my wife and I often buy a Mansion as soon as possible in I. It is not rare for the Mansion deck to be empty by the end of the game.
We are less interested in ventures - two friends is a lot for just one income. Especially in III. I am planning to use them more in my next games, we probably undervaluate them.
I agree that adding a litle "power" to ventures would make them more desirable.

More generally, players tend, at first, to favor heavily weddings, children and fertility. As the number of games grows, you begin to have smaller families and invest more in mansions, titles, missions, etc.

Edit : You should add the idea of ventures with special abilities to the Ideas for expanding thread, jaxomm !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
The only time I go for a venture is if the firends in my hand give me some type of bonus for doing so. So I would definately like to see a Venture variant/expansion.

Furthermore, I agree that going for a Mansion early is a good strategy. It is more favorable in Gen. I because even though it is the same as arranging a marriage with a 2-Prestige husband, it probably won't cost you more gold. Typically, the 2-Prestige male friends cost 5+ gold while the Mansion only costs 3 gold.

I focus on children more in Gen. I & II than on marriage. I have found it easier to combo spouses better if I have 9 grown children from Gen. II going into Gen. III.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lionel Graveleau
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheSoundOfTrees wrote:

We are less interested in ventures - two friends is a lot for just one income. Especially in III. I am planning to use them more in my next games, we probably undervaluate them.

Ventures can be great, even in Gen III. since there are still 4 rounds so 4 pieces (eq about 2 Honor). On my last game, my wife built several Venture (ok she had an objective for this too ) and bought the 2 most expensive contribution, and win. Venture can be very usefull to marry an expensive man such as Charles.
Two friends is not so expensive for me since there are always friends that we don't care.

TheSoundOfTrees wrote:

More generally, players tend, at first, to favor heavily weddings, children and fertility. As the number of games grows, you begin to have smaller families and invest more in mansions, titles, missions, etc.

agree with this. I think fertility doctor is overestimated (very usefull, but quite the same price as a mansion)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
Switzerland
Leysin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great ideas guys! Thank you very much! I am sure my wife and I will be exploring more strategies soon!

We played the game with the promo-mansions earlier in the day and enjoyed them very much, but they really made the orange Ventures feel bland compared to all the rest of what was going on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Ventures will most certainly get a facelift in the (possible) expansion.

I will usually get a Venture when I start with a man and the titles in gen. 1 and 2 that give income are taken, and of course when I have an orange action marker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter D
Belgium
Hove
flag msg tools
badge
Game Over Man, Game Over!
mbmbmbmbmb
Will this promo cards be made avaliable for everyone? Or are they limited to the pre-orders?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Woozle1977 wrote:
Will this promo cards be made avaliable for everyone? Or are they limited to the pre-orders?

Preorders and some at Essen. Not sure if they'll be made available in the end on places like the BGG shop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
Switzerland
Leysin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can make your own copies of them once they are online, I am sure.

Woozle1977 wrote:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaap K
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are the promo cards of a different size and the corners not rounded like the normal cards?

Don't shoot me, but aesthetically they are a bit of a misfit in the game currently...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It came up in another thread, but long story short... they were a last minute thing and printed locally other than through their normal game printer. I just use a corner trimmer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Granger-Gothscheck
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Where are the rules for the promo mansions?

We tried to figure it out, but we had some questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a white paper enclosed with the bonus mansions that explained two variants. Beyond that, there isn't anything else. Did you receive that with your bonus mansions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Currie
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Look, honey, he thinks there's honey in there!
badge
We can't all be Zheleznogorsk.
mbmbmbmbmb
Robman wrote:
There was a white paper enclosed with the bonus mansions that explained two variants. Beyond that, there isn't anything else. Did you receive that with your bonus mansions?

No white paper for Jakucha.

We just play with the correct number of available mansions. When you buy one, you draw a random mansion from the promos, perform its action, and use the big card behind the buyer's portraits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Mini Expansion: Extra Mansions

The extra mansions can be used to replace the standard Mansion cards from the game. Besides increasing a player's Prestige, each Mansion has an additional effect. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, the Mansion special effect is resolved immediately and one time only after the Buy a Mansion action is completed.

Variant: Starting Mansions

Each player starts the game with one of the extra Mansions - for that purpose only, use only the following cards: Chateau de Fontainebleu, Chateau Vaux-le-Vicomte, Chateau Saint-Martin, and Chateau d'Ainay-le-Vieil. Beginning with the last player and continuing counter-clockwise, each player chooses one of the Mansions listed above. It becomes his starting Mansion - it does not increase the player's Prestige, but its unique effect is active from the beginning of the game. This Mansion is not assigned to any specific family member, but is placed beside the family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.