Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: How to beat 4X rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hijo de Cain
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone, I'm imperial player and I use to have a lot of problems beating 4 x-wing. I know it is always a good list but I can't find any real weakness. Any tips to fight against them? I own 8 ties, 2 int, 2 bomber, 1 adv, 1 slave and 1 lambda.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J-R2-u7Na4

This is the finals from Gen Con. It is 7 TIE fighters against 3 X-Wings. I know you said 4 X-Wings, but the strategy to defeat them is the same. And you'll notice that at the end of the match, the Imperial player didn't lose a single TIE fighter, so I don't think 1 extra X-Wing would have mattered that much in the outcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Evans
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A solid TIE swarm focusing on blocking/action denial and concentrating fire to destroy X-Wings one at a time. You should be able to win this war of attrition! Death by a thousand cuts...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7-8 TIE Swarm works well. Your opponent needs to take out 2 TIEs per turn as you'll take out (at least) 1 X-wing per turn on the initial pass.

High-PS interceptors (Fel + Phennir) with TIE Fighters should work well, too. Even Fel/PtL + Phennir/VI + Krassis/HLC should do well against 4 X-wings. Just make sure the X-wings can't get a shot on you (easier said than done?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lando
msg tools
I assume wedge, Biggs, rookie rookie? If so, just concentrate fire on Biggs and hope you kill him in the first pass. If you don't, your chances of defeating the list go down considerably. After that, action denial on wedge and then single the rookies out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hutchinson
New Zealand
Waitakere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I certainly am no top gun xWing player but I would not have flown my three xwing into the maw of the a tie swarm as in that final. I do not think it is the best representation of how to fly against a swarm which will clearly have the edge in ahead to head close range exchange.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
PTL TIEints work pretty well, as well as Turr. So long as you can escape from their firing arcs, you are good

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jury wrote:

I certainly am no top gun xWing player but I would not have flown my three xwing into the maw of the a tie swarm as in that final. I do not think it is the best representation of how to fly against a swarm which will clearly have the edge in ahead to head close range exchange.

I agree 100 percent.

But the question was how to beat 4 X-Wings, and flying straight at them with a swarm of TIEs bolstered by Howlrunner is the answer. When someone posts the question: "How do you beat a swarm?" I'll have to find a better video.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL agreed. Swarms and X-wing builds are equally tricky to beat. It seems to come down to manoeuvre mistakes in our games (Ignoring the equally variant lady luck with dice rolls).

Using asteroids is what seems to generate the variance between the two builds as it's not easy keeping formation around them. In fact this is where the double falcon builds etc start to dominate.

All in all though, if you know what your opponent is bringing to the table it's a much easier task of building a squad to take them out.

EDIT: By the way, looking at your collection, give a few scenarios a go, as it'll help you get to grips with some of the other vessels (Such as Bombers and Shuttle).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Nuñez Jimenez
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A swarm can beat a 4X list by concentrating its fire on the lower skill x wings. Crash them to negate their actions and fire before them with swarm tactics.
Also a good strategy maybe to field some interceptors to avoid their firing arc by doing barrell rolls and boost actions to be able to roll 3 or 4 dice to put them out while taking not damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Nuñez Jimenez
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Piqsid wrote:

Indeed a player that moves his squad for no shoting in the first and second turn... well he deserves a clear defeat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.