Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr Dove
United States
Las Animas
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious how many decks people maintain/play on a regular basis. I suspect that BGG members will be more likely to have alot of casual decks that they rotate.

It has always seemed that competitive players only play a few decks but spend alot of time tuning them. As a casual player I don't really care how strong my deck is unless it seems to lose to my other decks.

I currently have about 20 decks. About half of those are preconstructed or theme decks. I'm building a storage box that should hold about 40 60 card decks.

I'm using about 20 Ultra Pro deck boxes. Each one of them will hold 2 60 card decks unsleeved. I may end up using a box for tokens and dice too though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have about 20 pre con decks, and around 40 I built myself. These are not maintained really other than swapping cards from time to time When new sets come out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
8 to 10 Commander decks. I acquire cards as singles or in booster drafts from time to time and swap one or two in or out. I tear these down and make a new one time to time. I only have this many as I provide them to others who want to play. They range from "casual, fun, functional" to "intended to win decisively and quickly when playing for prizes".

I don't play or maintain any Standard decks. I won't play any format other than Commander or booster draft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
20 EDH
15-60 card, but haven't played those in a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 Casual Modern (Bant hexproof, not fully tuned)
5-7 Casual Standard in various stages of tuning
4 Duel decks
6 EDH (thanks to the 5 new ones that just came out)
Working on a Legacy deck....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep one EDH, one Legacy and one Modern deck ready for play at all times. Depending on how I feel about the currant Standard, I'll usually have 1-2 of those at the ready as well. I only make casual decks when I know I'm going to an non-Magic heavy convention or hanging out with friends that aren't competitive. I have the ability to make 2-4 specific casual decks at any time, but I need to pull certain cards from all of the other decks and my cube, so it's not really not something I'll have at the ready unless I'm planning on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I always have one Vintage deck that I will pick up and goldfish.

One multiplayer deck (non-EDH)

About a dozen EDH decks

Two or three proxied Standard decks to play with my buddy who likes Standard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm mostly a draft player. I tend to have one standard deck on MTGO at a time, and usually a cheapo modern version of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hackel
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now?

6x mainline "type whatever" decks I built and maintained 1996-2005.
2x Kamigawa/Mirrodin decks I built for lunchtime gaming in 2005.
1x "Time Machine" Revised/Dark deck, uses most of the oldest commons from my collection.
2x Sixth Ed. learning decks (U/W and R/G) I built to teach new players, circa 2001.
1x Fourth Ed. starter deck, the very first one that got me started on Magic, reconstituted from memory.
4x 40-card pre-cons that came in the Battle Royale box set.
2x 60-card pre-cons that came in the Anthologies box set.

So.... 18.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hmph! "Modern-Day Robin Hood." What am I supposed to do? Steal from myself and give to the poor?
badge
This. This is what I am. This is who I am. Come hell or high water. If I deny it, I deny everything I've ever done... Everything I've ever fought for.
mbmbmbmbmb
4 complete and tuned EDH decks.
2 EDH decks under construction.
1 450 card cube unpowered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
6 EDH + 1 in construction
2 past-Standard
disassembled cube

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Regs
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 or 2 standard decks, suitable for weekly FNM, but not much more than that.
Currently 2 modern decks, also suitable for local tournaments.
5-6 60 card casual decks of my own design. Mostly based on creature types (goblins), mechanics (morph), or other strange themes (attacking with land).
9 Commander Decks of my own design, which I do 'rotate' from time to time.

So I guess about 19 for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merv D
United States
Unspecified
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Have six casual modern decks plus a couple of my son's crazy builds.
just built two standard decks (both under forty bucks + some trades of thoughtseize and some dual lands) that are somewhat competitive.
a 4 player cube
two commander decks which includes my son's sea monsters deck.
I plan on making a bunch of peasant decks for the hell of it too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Finkle
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing since 1994 and have decks which I modify as new sets come out.

142 casual decks which run the gamut from theme decks to weird combo decks
3 EDH decks
1 Paupers cube

I keep the decks in card boxes of eight decks per box and have created a "box battle" format where each player has a box and plays single elimination games until they are out of decks. The winner of each game retains their life total from the previous game and keeps the same deck, while the loser chooses a new deck from their box to face the winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
mbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/13122606#13122606
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thane BenAngelo
msg tools
I just got back in to Magic, so right now I have three. With the whack of cards I got from a Deckbuilder's toolkit and a handfull of boosters, I put together two standard decks that jumped out at me (one theme based, one playstyle based) and then, because I live in a small town and it seems to be what's played at the FLGS, I put together a Commander deck with what I had left over. (With a blessings jumping between that deck and a sideboard for one of my standard decks.)

EDIT: Obviously not counting whatever decks I still have constructed and stored back in my dad's basement, long forgotten.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.