Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

One Night Ultimate Werewolf» Forums » General

Subject: Holy price point batman! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
$30 for 16 cards and 16 tokens? No thanks. I can get Love Letter and Council of Verona with $ to spare. Why is this so expensive?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently they're tiles, not cards. Super thick card stock.
I'm sure that it'll be cheaper online if you can wait.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The original has only 8 tiles, no counters.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Alspach
United States
Louisville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Preorder Ultimate Werewolf Legacy now from beziergames.com
badge
Ultimate Werewolf Legacy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One Night Ultimate Werewolf retails for $25, not $30. The Kickstarter price is for early delivery (you're paying for airfreight costs to ship it here now instead of waiting until January).

The original game is cheaper (smaller/less tiles, and no tokens), but it is currently sold out everywhere.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh wow! Am I glad I got this real cheap in Essen! cool
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Alspach
United States
Louisville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Preorder Ultimate Werewolf Legacy now from beziergames.com
badge
Ultimate Werewolf Legacy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pedrator wrote:
Oh wow! Am I glad I got this real cheap in Essen! cool


Totally different games. One Night Ultimate Werewolf wasn't for sale at Essen. One Night Werewolf was, at €12.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nate_lockhart wrote:
$30 for 16 cards and 16 tokens? No thanks. I can get Love Letter and Council of Verona with $ to spare. Why is this so expensive?
Yes but ONW is far better than those games. It is super replayable.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles-Louis de Maere
Belgium
Pecrot
flag msg tools
mbmb
toulouse wrote:
Pedrator wrote:
Oh wow! Am I glad I got this real cheap in Essen! cool


Totally different games. One Night Ultimate Werewolf wasn't for sale at Essen. One Night Werewolf was, at €12.


How would you say ONW and ONUW are "totally different" games? Don't they share the same idea and mechanic?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ClementXVII wrote:
How would you say ONW and ONUW are "totally different" games? Don't they share the same idea and mechanic?

What he is saying, I guess, is that this thread has been posted in the forum for the wrong game. The OP used the price from the Kickstarter for One Night Ultimate Werewolf and compared it with the components of One Night Werewolf. With the similar names (and concept, no doubt) it's easy that people end up at the wrong game's entry here on BGG.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point. This should be moved!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Avatar
mb
Moved
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
Avatar
mb
nate_lockhart wrote:
$30 for 16 cards and 16 tokens? No thanks. I can get Love Letter and Council of Verona with $ to spare. Why is this so expensive?

Uh-huh. I’d buy it for $20 if I were going to BGG.con, but I’m not. soblue
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
30$ is the price to receive the game early. You can pre-order the game from their website for 25$ if you don't mind waiting and it'll probably be available at a discount at other stores online.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Yes, that's a Japanese CTR ring shield cut in half...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Either way, unless you're getting the BGG.con pricing, it seems like a lot of $$ for what you get.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ninjabob wrote:
Either way, unless you're getting the BGG.con pricing, it seems like a lot of $$ for what you get.


Yeah, this pretty much sums up my thought even if it is $5 less than I originally understood.

I shouldn't have bothered to compare it to other games as I should have known that would devolve into "this game is better than those!" type arguments. The point is that similar games component-wise and presumably play testing and development wise are 1/2 the price. Whether they are as good or not is entirely up to one's own subjective whim.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing is that the two games that you compared with are not componentwise equal. 12 cards + 10 cubes (love letter) versus 2-3 sheets of thick punch cards.

Componentwise, I would compare this to the resistance, or the Dwarf King rather than those that you mentioned. MRSP for those two is slightly lower (5$) but not so much.

Now, of course you could argue that the game should come with cards instead of tokens, and in a smaller box to save money. But that is a different issue, right?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
Avatar
mb
Nushura wrote:
The thing is that the two games that you compared with are not componentwise equal. 12 cards + 10 cubes (love letter) versus 2-3 sheets of thick punch cards.

Componentwise, I would compare this to the resistance, or the Dwarf King rather than those that you mentioned. MRSP for those two is slightly lower (5$) but not so much.

Now, of course you could argue that the game should come with cards instead of tokens, and in a smaller box to save money. But that is a different issue, right?

I bought the Dwarf King new for $12, and that feels about right for this, too. I ended up passing on this. If it's cheaper in stores, I'll pick it up then.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Dwarf King too.

Number of times I've played Dawrf King: 1
Number of times I've played OWN: over 100

The thing is, you can try the game out with your Ultimate Werewolf cards. Once you do, you'll likely pay whatever for the real thing.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
Avatar
mb
clydeiii wrote:
The thing is, you can try the game out with your Ultimate Werewolf cards.

There’s a problem with this!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
clydeiii wrote:
The thing is, you can try the game out with your Ultimate Werewolf cards.

There’s a problem with this!
How so?

That is what I did when I first heard about ONW this past spring. It is just a Werewolf variant. I have subsequently purchased three copies of the original and one copy of ONUW from Ted. Yes, I love it that much.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nushura wrote:
The thing is that the two games that you compared with are not componentwise equal. 12 cards + 10 cubes (love letter) versus 2-3 sheets of thick punch cards.

Componentwise, I would compare this to the resistance, or the Dwarf King rather than those that you mentioned. MRSP for those two is slightly lower (5$) but not so much.

Now, of course you could argue that the game should come with cards instead of tokens, and in a smaller box to save money. But that is a different issue, right?


Love Letter is 16 cards (actually 20 with player aids). Sixteen cards, representing 16 roles, just like this game.

So basically, this game chose to use punchboard tiles instead of cards. You are trying to tell me a sheet of punch board instead of cards is worth ~$20 to you? It isn't to me, especially since I just bought Helpers of Catan (10 punch board character cards) for $5.

What about Dungeon Roll? 14 Dice, something like 20-30 cards, and 4 or 5 small sheets of cardboard tokens. $15.

This game is over-produced, but not only that, the over-production is overpriced.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One final thought - you'd be hard pressed to find even a game or two in print with similar components that costs more. There might be a few, but I don't know what they could be.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nate_lockhart wrote:
One final thought - you'd be hard pressed to find even a game or two in print with similar components that costs more. There might be a few, but I don't know what they could be.
Do those come with an awesome iPhone/Android app with Eric Summerer moderating the game for you?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:

I bought the Dwarf King new for $12, and that feels about right for this, too. I ended up passing on this. If it's cheaper in stores, I'll pick it up then.


Sorry but I was talking about MRSP. Surely you got a cheaper deal on Dwarf King, but for the same reason I am sure you can get a cheap deal for ONW (say, buying it from an online store).

And, again with comparison with LL, there is a reason for using tiles rather than cards: the roles are often picked up and moved around at night. This must be fast and swift, but with cards it can be a nuisance. Several persons complimented on the idea of using tiles rather than cards at Essen.

I also emphasize that I did not say that the game was cheap or expensive. I just said that comparing the components with love letter was an unfair choice....and that DK or Resistance are more similar games.

TBH I also think that it is a bit on the expensive side...but not enough to start saying "holy moly"
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
Avatar
mb
clydeiii wrote:
HuginnGreiling wrote:
clydeiii wrote:
The thing is, you can try the game out with your Ultimate Werewolf cards.

There’s a problem with this!
How so?

That is what I did when I first heard about ONW this past spring. It is just a Werewolf variant. I have subsequently purchased three copies of the original and one copy of ONUW from Ted. Yes, I love it that much.

The problem is that I don’t own Ultimate Werewolf or Werewolf or anything in that line.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.