Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Sawatzky
Canada
Randolph
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How hard will these scenarios be with just a single core set? Would they even be possible? My brother in law wants to expand his core set but wanted to pick something up that I do not own myself, which means he is limited to the latest 2 adventure packs and Black Riders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the back of the Black Riders rulebook they have a suggested deck that uses just the core set and the expansion, and i think the designers playtest it that way, so it probably is possible to win and have a good time with it. Although I can not speak from experience. I assume it would be pretty difficult but not impossible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Training field technicians at trade school level
badge
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it."
mbmbmbmbmb
crogstad wrote:
which means he is limited to the latest 2 adventure packs and Black Riders.

What does he own exactly? Because the latest 2 adventure packs would be unplayable without also owning the Heirs of Numenor deluxe expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Sawatzky
Canada
Randolph
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He doesn't play a whole lot without me, so he was hoping to be able to add some cards that I don't have. But it did slip my mind that Heirs of Numenor is rather important to those packs. He only has the core set and I am up to the 3rd Against the Shadow pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He'll be able to build a pretty effective Hobbit deck with Sam, Merry, and Pippin if he gets Black Riders. Buying a couple of the Against the Shadow packs probably wouldn't help a whole lot because they wouldn't synergize much with his other cards and they are all about monosphere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamjimby wrote:
He'll be able to build a pretty effective Hobbit deck with Sam, Merry, and Pippin if he gets Black Riders. Buying a couple of the Against the Shadow packs probably wouldn't help a whole lot because they wouldn't synergize much with his other cards and they are all about monosphere.
Encounter at Amon Din synergises pretty well with Black Riders, as it contains several Hobbit-related cards. Still not well enough to make it a worthwhile purchase without Heirs of Numenor, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, I only own Core Set and Black Riders. Today I finally pulled out the Black Riders quests, and cobbled together the suggested deck from the decklist in the instructions.

I played 5 times. I had fun, but I got killed. The first two plays I got killed were largely due to the fact that I thought the Black Rider from the Setup required a Hide...which really set me back. But my last two games, I still got beat quite badly.

I think I was doubly unlucky in the last two games: both times I drew a lot of green cards and not enough allies, while at the same time drawing quite unluckily into multiple Black Rider cards. There was simply no way for me to deal with 2-3 Black Riders, plus Hide challenges.

It's only a sample size of five (that I'll call two), but I found it very tough to keep up with the first quest with the suggested deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.