Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's only a hand full of recorded plays, but very little else out there so far.

Who has played it, and what do you think?

Does it over-complicate the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Speicher
United States
Potomac Falls
VIRGINIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i've got the same question, hopefully we'll have a good answer within 10 days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Edwards
United States
Union
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've been looking for videos of previews, reviews or anything from Essen and haven't found anything. Looking forward to learning more about this one and have already backed it on Kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had one play with 3 players (myself, my husband, and my 9 year old daughter) playing the suggested starting Farmers variant - which means you're very focussed on farming (the Farming variant includes all the new tiles plus enough random old to take it up to required levels).

I'm intending to get a few more plays in and then write a review - but based on that first play I really like it. It doesn't really add any complexity, but does give it a quite different flavour - which is exactly what I was hoping for

The fact that your animals breed at the end of the seasons (other than winter), yet you don't eat them is lovely - as unlike Agricola you're guaranteed just to get more and more. We were all so excited to get animals that there were epic bidding wars over the first sheep tiles (sheep come out first, and therefore have more breeding potential, but less final point potential, like in Gric)

Moving around the animals was quite a feature of the game (using normal movement points supplemented with wheat) as points are generally dependent on number of fields with animal types in rather than just numbers of animals.

Anyone who struggles with the Carcassonne farmers rules might struggle with the spatial aspect of working out which animals are in the same fields and which different.

I'm really intrigued how this will work when we start just mixing random tiles together (when you're not playing the farming variant the new tiles just get mixed in with the rest) With 2 players you don't get that many tiles (though you do get one extra winter tile) so potentially you could have quite a mis-match of tiles (particularly I worry about having winter tiles rewarding for things which just haven't been in the game, which I guess is why you get one additinal winter tile)- whether this feels just quirky fun or annoying, or whether it all just usually works out fine I'll find out with more plays.

I certainly enjoyed playing a very farming orientated game - and I guess if it feels too random to have a complete mix one could randomly mix in a half (or some other number) of the farmer tiles.

This game was already incredibly high on the cuteness scale but adding sheep, cows, and impossibly pink pigs just takes it off the chart, whilst adding other things to think about, all whilst still playing very quicklythumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Thanks, Kim!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Breese
United Kingdom
Stratford-upon-Avon
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Kim for your enthusiasm. Being 'just' an expansion means KFF hasn't hit the BGG or Fairplay rankings and has a lower profile than the new full games. But I think KFF gives you a new KF experience and hopefully you will continue to enjoy. Yes, you get more winter tiles now to choose from, partly for the reason you mention. But they have additional uses with connecting fields for the hillside and sometimes the sheep shelter, as well of course for surrounding the (new) turn order tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Nguyen
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
Does anyone think adding more tiles will make the game more restrictive or harder to get a strategy going? (Can be good or bad, depending on your perspective) I love the game now, but I'm afraid with the luck of the draw, that there will be too many things out there and your winter tiles may not match what you need to do. I understand that you only need to play one winter tile.

Still debating whether to keep my pledge right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
Tonkers303 wrote:

Yeah, I pledged, but I'm desperately hoping to get more info before the Kickstarter ends. If I don't see a decent review of some kind or another, I'm inclined to cancel my pledge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tonkers303 wrote:
Does anyone think adding more tiles will make the game more restrictive or harder to get a strategy going? (Can be good or bad, depending on your perspective) I love the game now, but I'm afraid with the luck of the draw, that there will be too many things out there and your winter tiles may not match what you need to do. I understand that you only need to play one winter tile.

I love this game too much not to buy this expansion, but I definitely have wondered about this myself. Overall though, I think this will make a great game even greater.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvaro BF
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We (2 players) played our first game today with The Farmers Variant and we absolutely loved it!

Next time we'll try to play using the random tiles setup.

I loved the game before, but this expansion makes the game even better
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't had a chance to play my copy yet, but my concern from what I have seen online is working out what constitutes which field. I am considering borrowing the fences from Gric to see if it helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked Richard Ham (rahdo) if he had the expansion and was planning to do a runthrough, and he said he's going to try to put up a runthrough video of The Farmers expansion soon, since the Kickstarter campaign is currently active. So hopefully he will get a chance to do the video soon. His runthrough of the base game is the reason I'm considering the pledge level of the base game and expansion together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He just posted that the video link will be uploaded soon! So keep an eye out for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Great War Commander, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander Europe, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Combat Commander Pacific
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Kim for the post. I'm now really excited to get my package from Richard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Nearing Weathertop
mbmbmbmbmb
Played once, and it's an excellent expansion. It adds to the base game, but doesn't overwhelm it. There is some added meat, but it integrates very nicely into the base game. Loved the wheat rules!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.