David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just posted it on Youtube. Not much detail. Just an intro to set the tone for the rest of the series. However, if you've helped in the design of STA, make sure to watch through to the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNALJVE1WNc

(edit: added link for updated version)

Give me any thoughts, ideas, etc you might have to improve the series.

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Baker
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Short, simple, to the point. Best way to approach things.

The only quip I have is in regards to the 'zooming in' on a couple of the scenes. Especially as it zoomed down to the Inferno as you talk about scenarios and such. Usually when narrowing down onto something it gives the impression that you need to pay attention to what is being brought into focus. The audio was more of a general overview so it wasn't really necessary to focus in on the lonesome Inferno. But still, its no big deal, just a personal preference.

What was the audio in the end credits?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R T
Portugal
LX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Several small issues:
First, you really need a mic when you are on the open, sound become a little odd and annoying.
Second, the intro and the final credits are about 1:40, add :20 about talking about people going BGG or to the site to join dev and tests and you spend 2 minutes of 4:20 not speaking about STA. I like the intro and the end credits, but that size are used to 10:00 videos, I just can't have almost half of it without giving people the 'stuff'.
Third, speaking about the modular game board and showing a already made game board, well, I would prefer you put a pile at you side, take one, show it (chose a catchy one) and the in a few theatrical moves build it live.
Forth, put some figures on it, create some eye catchers, you can talk about tokens at this phase, but with the objective of having that minis. If you are doing a movie, don't talk about it, show it.
Fifth, in the final credits, please, cut the screen in half, put, the credits and the site on the bottom half and on the top put pictures of the game, images from the characters, something that grab people, as soon as a viewer notice that he will not see anything else, he will go away.
Sixth, try to avoid close statements, specially in intro, the board game is made by 3x3 tiles isn't totally true and it isn't necessary.
Seventh, STA didn't borrow parts from other minis game (really it didn't), modular board with minis with this engine is quite unique. And your statement just seems that you are another person that ripped other mini game and twisted a little.
Eight and final (by now) you totally miss the introduction to the game system and mechanics, ok, people can spot the die, but they also can see cards, you state minis, but, none can be seen, how about turns, each faction move in a turn or what is the turn system, how long a normal play takes and so on.

Great work and with small tunings it would be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JefferyB wrote:
Short, simple, to the point. Best way to approach things.

The only quip I have is in regards to the 'zooming in' on a couple of the scenes. Especially as it zoomed down to the Inferno as you talk about scenarios and such. Usually when narrowing down onto something it gives the impression that you need to pay attention to what is being brought into focus. The audio was more of a general overview so it wasn't really necessary to focus in on the lonesome Inferno. But still, its no big deal, just a personal preference.

What was the audio in the end credits?

Thanks, Jeff. I was trying to zoom in to setup the subsequent points, but I can see how that didn't translate very well. I'll try to keep the zooming very tightly focused on the topic at hand. The audio clip at the end is a sample from a band called VNV Nation's song "Chosen". It's track 1 on the album "Praise the Fallen." VNV Nation is a German elector-industrial band. Really good music if you like industrial, EBM, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baalrukh wrote:
Several small issues:
First, you really need a mic when you are on the open, sound become a little odd and annoying.
Second, the intro and the final credits are about 1:40, add :20 about talking about people going BGG or to the site to join dev and tests and you spend 2 minutes of 4:20 not speaking about STA. I like the intro and the end credits, but that size are used to 10:00 videos, I just can't have almost half of it without giving people the 'stuff'.
Third, speaking about the modular game board and showing a already made game board, well, I would prefer you put a pile at you side, take one, show it (chose a catchy one) and the in a few theatrical moves build it live.
Forth, put some figures on it, create some eye catchers, you can talk about tokens at this phase, but with the objective of having that minis. If you are doing a movie, don't talk about it, show it.
Fifth, in the final credits, please, cut the screen in half, put, the credits and the site on the bottom half and on the top put pictures of the game, images from the characters, something that grab people, as soon as a viewer notice that he will not see anything else, he will go away.
Sixth, try to avoid close statements, specially in intro, the board game is made by 3x3 tiles isn't totally true and it isn't necessary.
Seventh, STA didn't borrow parts from other minis game (really it didn't), modular board with minis with this engine is quite unique. And your statement just seems that you are another person that ripped other mini game and twisted a little.
Eight and final (by now) you totally miss the introduction to the game system and mechanics, ok, people can spot the die, but they also can see cards, you state minis, but, none can be seen, how about turns, each faction move in a turn or what is the turn system, how long a normal play takes and so on.

Great work and with small tunings it would be great.

RT, these are all awesome suggestions - as usual. I think I have a new "credit" for you - mentor! =)

I'm not sure there's much else I can do about the sound quality (other than getting a new mic). I'm using a directional mic attached to my iPhone. It's not great. I spent a good bit of time in Imovie trying to optimize the sound, but I know it's not the best. I'll look around for some alternative ideas to improve the sound.

I agree about the intro and credits. I'll reduce their length.

I'll definitely build it live. Good idea. As an aside, what did you guys think of the live stuff, versus the voice over portion with graphics? Did you prefer the live stuff?

I have to say, I feel a bit odd about putting miniatures from other games on it. Even if I stress they are for a different game, I feel really strange about it. I can show some previews of the renders for the miniatures, though. I know it's not as good, but it's something.

I'll add the changes to the credits - good call.

I wanted to keep all the mechanics stuff to a minimum in the intro video, but maybe it was too minimal? In just an intro video that is designed to talk about STA in the broadest terms, what are the three or four key aspects of the game that should be mentioned?

I'm thinking: skirmish/conquest option, scenario-driven, modular board, skirmish-level, character advancement. Those are what are talked about in the video. So maybe I should add something about a single dice mechanic for combat? What else is truly needed for the intro video?

The rest of the videos:

Rules:
1. Setup: This will serve as a VERY brief overview of pretty much every aspect of the game...maybe I should just roll this into the intro video?
2. Factions overview and characters
3. Movement
4. Close Combat
5. Ranged Combat
6. Abilities
7. Area Attacks
8. Huge Characters

Factions
(1 video for each faction)

Walkthrough
A Sample walkthrough of a basic skirmish

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Baker
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Skirmish_Tactics wrote:

I have to say, I feel a bit odd about putting miniatures from other games on it. Even if I stress they are for a different game, I feel really strange about it. I can show some previews of the renders for the miniatures, though. I know it's not as good, but it's something.

Not sure what their technical term is, but do you know those little black slotted bases used in boardgames like Chutes and Ladders to hold up player's characters? You could try something like those to hold up characters in STA to make them more 3D.

Skirmish_Tactics wrote:

I wanted to keep all the mechanics stuff to a minimum in the intro video, but maybe it was too minimal? In just an intro video that is designed to talk about STA in the broadest terms, what are the three or four key aspects of the game that should be mentioned?

I'm thinking: skirmish/conquest option, scenario-driven, modular board, skirmish-level, character advancement. Those are what are talked about in the video. So maybe I should add something about a single dice mechanic for combat? What else is truly needed for the intro video?

I personally love fluff. Throw in the state of the apocalyptic world, how it got to be the way it is, what the factions are and their driving force, etc. Nothing too specific, just a brief overview.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R T
Portugal
LX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skirmish_Tactics wrote:

I'm not sure there's much else I can do about the sound quality (other than getting a new mic). I'm using a directional mic attached to my iPhone. It's not great. I spent a good bit of time in Imovie trying to optimize the sound, but I know it's not the best. I'll look around for some alternative ideas to improve the sound.

Even a cheap mic concealed under the clothes would do marvels.

Skirmish_Tactics wrote:

I'll definitely build it live. Good idea. As an aside, what did you guys think of the live stuff, versus the voice over portion with graphics? Did you prefer the live stuff?

Live.

Skirmish_Tactics wrote:

Explain...

Skirmish_Tactics wrote:

I agree with the minimum, the problem it's there are no minimum, you don't even mention die neither turns for example. As a new by surfing games on youtube, that could could be a memoir 44 clone in the future, or a very complex chess set...

Skirmish_Tactics wrote:

Ok, I think you should ( in general):
1 - introduce STA: show some components quickly, the boards, the cards, the dice, the tokens.
2 - speak about how to chose a faction, the points and the characters
3 - show a running game, showing four or five character movements.
4 - simulate an attack.
You don't spend more than 1 minute in each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R T
Portugal
LX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deep tuning:
0:00-0:28
To long to a short movie 20 sec tops.
1:00-1:20
To soon to talk about this and to long. A simple phrase like: It could be played in a single skirmish or in a campaign would do the trick.
1:20-1:34
I just spend about 14 seconds to say what you will talk about in the next 2 minutes ( and I would cut that 2 minutes to 1, but that's me).
2:02-2:14
You don't talk about simple mechanics and the bum, the game has a system of points. To heavy and to soon to talk on intro.
2:18-2:42
24 seconds with a 'still' image... put a new card every 6 seconds (from a different faction) . And when you talk about minis, put that image from BGG.
2:43-2:59
Drop the small talk and put it in a small box calling for testers and bgg link and run some images of games in progress. Do the same thing to the credits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, here it is: the revised intro for everyone's review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeQmBD0QBaE
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R T
Portugal
LX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Much better.

I only spot technical issues, but for that you will need a more professional equipment (a good mic and some zooms).

Let's see what the audience says.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Baker
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great. Except there is some guy wearing an Atlanta Falcons shirt, it might look better if it was Carolina Panthers,

But seriously, all the major topics were covered and as for an introduction it covered all the core features of STA very well. I can't wait to see how you will approach the rest of these videos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JefferyB wrote:
Looks great. Except there is some guy wearing an Atlanta Falcons shirt, it might look better if it was Carolina Panthers,

JefferyB wrote:
But seriously, all the major topics were covered and as for an introduction it covered all the core features of STA very well. I can't wait to see how you will approach the rest of these videos.

I'm wondering about that myself! Seriously, I'll probably post a script of the future videos ahead of time and get feedback rather than trying to put them together, post them, get feedback, and then revise them.

As an aside, I made a couple VERY minor tweaks to the video (again)...basically I just changed the Sniper example - I didn't care for how it looked: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNALJVE1WNc

Also, I thought you guys might find it funny to see my extremely professional setup for recording the video:

To get my phone in the right position, I have a folding card table on the bottom, my daughters' Disney Princess folding table on it, a prop from my wife's photography business on top of that, and then the tripod for the phone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Baker
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Gotta love improvising!

Posting up your scripts for review sounds like a good idea. I'm sure we can all help you get it finalized for filming. Will you be deleting the other Introduction videos from your Youtube channel now that you have a final one on there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JefferyB wrote:

Gotta love improvising!

Posting up your scripts for review sounds like a good idea. I'm sure we can all help you get it finalized for filming. Will you be deleting the other Introduction videos from your Youtube channel now that you have a final one on there?

Yep - already did. So I lost all those views (and your comment). cry

So spread the word and share the link to the video!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R T
Portugal
LX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit the first post with the new link.
People will come by the topic and follow the first link.

By the way, the music is from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baalrukh wrote:
Edit the first post with the new link.
People will come by the topic and follow the first link.

By the way, the music is from?

Good idea, RT. I just updated the OP. The audio clip at the end is a sample from a band called VNV Nation's song "Chosen". It's track 1 on the album "Praise the Fallen." VNV Nation is a German electro-industrial band. Really good music if you like industrial, EBM, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R T
Portugal
LX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skirmish_Tactics wrote:
The audio clip at the end is a sample from a band called VNV Nation's song "Chosen". It's track 1 on the album "Praise the Fallen." VNV Nation is a German electro-industrial band. Really good music if you like industrial, EBM, etc.

I don't know you get permission to use it, if not, ask it, major issue if STA goes cardboard (even if it didn't, but I will not be surprised if you get noticed to remove the video because unauthorized use of third party material).
Either way, you should always put the info and thank for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baalrukh wrote:
Skirmish_Tactics wrote:
The audio clip at the end is a sample from a band called VNV Nation's song "Chosen". It's track 1 on the album "Praise the Fallen." VNV Nation is a German electro-industrial band. Really good music if you like industrial, EBM, etc.

I don't know you get permission to use it, if not, ask it, major issue if STA goes cardboard (even if it didn't, but I will not be surprised if you get noticed to remove the video because unauthorized use of third party material).
Either way, you should always put the info and thank for it.

Good point, RT. I'll try to find a way to ask for permission. In the mean time I'll post the info on the video. I did acknowledge that I borrowed from the song when I uploaded to Youtube (it's part of the upload process).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.