Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Ritter
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nessie swims laps around a 15-space track, stopping once a turn to pose for pictures. Players try to predict where she will surface and position their cameras accordingly.

Three players each select a random card numbered 1 to 5. Players look at their own cards then place them facedown. Nessie moves a number of spaces equal to the sum. So if Alice plays a 1 and Bob and Carol both play 5s, Nessie moves 11 spaces (1+5+5).

Before the cards are revealed, each player moves one or two of his three cameras. This is where the game's limited strategy resides.

Nessie moves nine spaces on average (remember high school statistics?), but if a player contributed a higher or lower card, he may adjust his placement accordingly.

Later players have a slight info advantage because they saw where the earlier players moved, but their options are limited because each space holds just two cameras.

Players also choose powers ranging from helpful (peeking at a card, moving Nessie an extra space) to worthless (drawing from a bigger deck).

It's all pretty dull if everyone plays super rationally. Unfortunately, there's not much reason to deviate. Alice could bluff, making Bob and Carol think she has a higher card than she does, but she wastes one of her own cameras, so what's the point?

Loch Ness is short enough and the theme cute enough that it holds some appeal for kids or as a light luckfest. Limited interest to "serious" gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Pretty Dull If Everyone Plays Super Rationally
I've wondered about this game, but never looked it up. you summarized it very well. thanks!
P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Fries
United States
Quincy
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You only choose randomly on the first turn. On the second and subsequent turns the cards are chosen by the players.
This adds an element of deduction and bluffing. Plus a player in the lead can speed up the game, while one behind can slow the game down.
There's a lot going on here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Ritter
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Rio Grande rules use similar wording for the first turn and subsequent turns:

"The start player and the next 2 players in clockwise order each choose one of his move cards at random and places it face-down in his play area."

"[T]he start player and the next 2 players in clockwise order each choose a move card from his hand and places it face-down in his play area."

It's not obvious to me that "choose" means "choose deliberately" in the second instance, but the Hans im Glück rules might be clearer on this point.

At any rate, I'm not sure that it makes much difference. The three card-players place their cameras first, and they seem unlikely to waste a precious camera just to bluff.

The first player could try to guess whether the later players chose a high or low number. But if those later players were too predictable (trying to speed up or slow down the game), they might get shut out of the best spaces.

It's an interesting wrinkle. If I have the opportunity to play it again with the correct rules, I'll give it another shot. In the meantime, I'll rescind my 5/10 rating and change my title to be less harsh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.