Popular Tags: [View All]
bestia immonda
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens when you encounter a Matrix Analyzer with a Femme Fatale?

M.A. : "When the Runner encounters Matrix Analyzer, you may pay 1 Credit to place 1 advancement token on a card that can be advanced.

F.F : "When you install Femme Fatale, choose an installed piece of ice. When you encounter that ice, you may spend 1 Credit per subroutine on that ice to bypass it."

Can the Corp place the token?
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hager
United States
Leesburg
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
believe so, because "encounter" matches up for both

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
KC
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
If the Runner uses Femme to bypass Matrix Analyzer, the Corp doesn't get to place the token. Femme Fatale's ability triggers first (because it's the Runner's turn), and bypassing the ice prevents any triggered on-encounter conditionals from resolving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jones
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
PraetorianXVIII wrote:
I feel this falls under "simultaneous triggers". Femme bypasses on encounter while Matrix Analyzer boosts on encounter. Simultaneous triggers, so runner chooses: he can allow a card to be advanced, but he can also bypass the encounter ability, just like with Tollbooth or Data Raven, so it doesn't fire since no trigger.

In other words, it doesn't if you bypass it entirely. There's a rule about it somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rognik wrote:
In other words, it doesn't if you bypass it entirely. There's a rule about it somewhere.

Quite right, it's in the FAQ. Bypass specifically stops any other 'on encounter' effects resolving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Breuch
Germany
Kettig
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rognik wrote:
PraetorianXVIII wrote:
I feel this falls under "simultaneous triggers". Femme bypasses on encounter while Matrix Analyzer boosts on encounter. Simultaneous triggers, so runner chooses: he can allow a card to be advanced, but he can also bypass the encounter ability, just like with Tollbooth or Data Raven, so it doesn't fire since no trigger.

In this case the runner is not allowed to choose the order.
He can choose to bypass or not to bypass.

The active player has priority.
So first, the runner chooses the order of conditional abilites on runner cards that share the "when encoutner"-condition.
And then the corp chooses the order of conditional abilites on corp cards that share the "when encoutner"-condition.

Femme Fatal has to be resolved first.
If the runner dosen't want to use the bypass effect, then the corp has to resolve Matrix analyser.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jones
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Zyankalium wrote:
Rognik wrote:
PraetorianXVIII wrote:

So first, the runner chooses the order of conditional abilites on runner cards that share the "when encoutner"-condition.
And then the corp chooses the order of conditional abilites on corp cards that share the "when encoutner"-condition.

If the runner dosen't want to use the bypass effect, then the corp has to resolve Matrix analyser.
But choosing to bypass IS choosing the order, although now I wonder if the runner can bypass the subroutine if not bypassing the "when encountered" ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
KC
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
Rognik wrote:
But choosing to bypass IS choosing the order, although now I wonder if the runner can bypass the subroutine if not bypassing the "when encountered" ability.

No, the Runner cannot. Either the Runner bypasses the ice and any remaining on-encounter conditionals are prevented from resolving, or the Runner does not bypass the ice and on-encounter conditionals resolve.

Note that Femme Fatale does not bypass subroutines; she bypasses ice, and it's all or nothing. If Femme targets Ichi 1.0 with her ability, the Runner may not pay 2C to bypass both "-> Trash a program." subroutines, but leave the trace subroutine "unbypassed." Either the Runner pays 3C and bypasses Ichi 1.0, or Ichi is encountered normally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rognik wrote:
Zyankalium wrote:
Rognik wrote:
PraetorianXVIII wrote:

They cannot. If the runner declines to use Femme, they cannot then use Femme AFTER the corp uses (or declines to use) Matrix Analyzer. The Runner MUST resolve their conditional abilities first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Breuch
Germany
Kettig
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manydills wrote:
Rognik wrote:
Zyankalium wrote:
Rognik wrote:
PraetorianXVIII wrote:

They cannot. If the runner declines to use Femme, they cannot then use Femme AFTER the corp uses (or declines to use) Matrix Analyzer. The Runner MUST resolve their conditional abilities first.

Just like manydills said: The Runner MUST resolve their conditional abilities first.
And the rules tell that you are not allowed to trigger the same conditional ability with the same gamestate more than once.

FF triggers: Runner resolves by choosing not to bypass.
MA triggers: Corp resolves.
FF is not allowed to trigger a second time.
The state of encoutering a piece of ice has not chanaged, it is still the same encounter. A new encounter with that ice will trigger FF.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jones
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Agent Archer wrote:
Note that Femme Fatale does not bypass subroutines; she bypasses ice, and it's all or nothing. If Femme targets Ichi 1.0 with her ability, the Runner may not pay 2C to bypass both "-> Trash a program." subroutines, but leave the trace subroutine "unbypassed." Either the Runner pays 3C and bypasses Ichi 1.0, or Ichi is encountered normally.
This, I knew. I guess I was overthinking things a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.