Firefly: The Game» Forums » General

Subject: Table Size rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Logan
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen a few reviews mentioning that the board, decks and player areas can take up quite a bit of space which is concerning for me.

I have a 3"x5" table which is usually big enough for the games I play (things like X-wing and Claustrophobia take up a fair amount of table space but I manage in the end) but I was curious about what size table people are managing to playing on? Any space saving tips?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carlson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem isn't that the board is all that big...it's that there are 13 full-size decks of cards that need to be regularly accessed.

I have a long rectangular table - roughly 3'x6' without extensions. I lay the board perpendicular to the table, put the jobs running down one side and the supply centers down the other. On the short edges, one side holds the movement decks and misbehave cards, the other is the bank of paper money. Players sit to the left or the right of the board. In this way, people only have to stretch for the far supply center/jobs decks, and one side runs the nav decks while the other side plays banker.

I have three small plastic bins, maybe 1.5 " by 3". One of these holds cargo/contraband, one holds passengers/fugitives, and one holds fuel and parts. These we pass around at need. The goal and disgruntled tokens go off to the side - we don't need to access these very often.

Finally, I like to keep one or two laser pointers handy for movement, so you aren't reaching across the table to move your firefly in far away sectors of the 'Verse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah... I see what you did there.
mbmbmbmbmb
JRedGiant1 wrote:

Finally, I like to keep one or two laser pointers handy for movement, so you aren't reaching across the table to move your firefly in far away sectors of the 'Verse.
*blink* Awesome idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The easiest way to enlarge your available table space is to get a couple of those folding tea trays on stands, and put them next to you. Assigning one player to flip the Nav Cards, one to be banker, etc, means that not everyone has to be in reach of everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
Welcome to fall in the Midwest and a property with a lot of mature trees!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also take a tip from the Arkham Horror players and put your cards in the 8 slot plastic business card holders. They store the cards more vertically than horizontally:

http://t.staples.com/skava/static/product.html?type=StaplesP...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maad McCarthy
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a 4x4 table and this game fits perfectly. As others have said it is mainly the large amount of draw and discard decks that take up all the room.

I spent a lot of time looking around for a solution and found the Plano 5324 worked great for me.
Just pop the cover off and all of the Planet and job cards fit with their discard decks as well as all the tokens (Cargo, Fuel...). Money goes to the banker and the movement cards go next to the board as they are used often.

We just pass they tray around the table during play. No reaching across or walking around the table to get at cards. Very durable you will not break this.

I got mine on EBay for $8 ($13 with the shipping)

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1826861/firefly-the-game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So you have the decks standing vertically in that thing, or what?

LATE EDIT: Replied before picture link was up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maad McCarthy
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. The slots are not wide enough to have them horizontal.

As the planet cards are printed vertical they work perfectly. It is only the job cards that appear sideways, but putting the contact name end up makes them very easy to see.

There is also plenty of room if you do put sleeves on your cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My cousin and I played a few games the weekend before last, and on the final go-around, we found a great configuration (at least for 2 players). We had chairs set up next to one another, with the board on a piano bench in front. We used three snack trays, one each, plus a shared one for most of the decks.

If someone can tell me how to post pictures, I will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cave Johnson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first 4 player game this past weekend. Our table is 5' x 3', and we had to get a TV tray for some bits.

On one corner, we put The nav decks, misbehaves and Harken. Another had Regina, Patience and Niska. The third was Badger, Osiris and Persephone. Silverhold, the Space Bazaar and Amnon Duul were on the last corner. The TV tray held the money and all the tokens.

No one was really crowded, but we didn't have much space, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.