Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
Austria
Graz
Steiermark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

Finnally read the rules and have one question.

The Berserker Abomination can walk up to two moves.

So does this mean that we as a group can decide weather or not?
Does he stop when he moves into a survivors zone?

greets

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adjacentbeastman wrote:
Hi!

Finnally read the rules and have one question.

The Berserker Abomination can walk up to two moves.

So does this mean that we as a group can decide weather or not?
Does he stop when he moves into a survivors zone?

greets

Good questions! You might want add them to my 'big Questions for ... thread' (in the Rules sub-forum (I'll post a link when I'm on my laptop if you can't find it))...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i dont think you get to choose, he will just stop as soon as he is in the same zone as a survivor/biggest pile of noise tokens, whether that is after moving 1 or 2 zones
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I play them as having two actions, just like runners. However they always take their second move, when appropriate, before all other zombies move (only relevant in the cases where barbed wire gets damaged really).

Nope, thats not whats in the book - but it made sense to me.

Interpreting it more strictly, no you would not get to choose - the "up to" is accommodating stopping after 1 move to eat a survivor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
Interpreting it more strictly, no you would not get to choose - the "up to" is accommodating stopping after 1 move to eat a survivor.

or to stop at the nearest place to all the noise if there is no open access.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
i dont think you get to choose, he will just stop as soon as he is in the same zone as a survivor/biggest pile of noise tokens, whether that is after moving 1 or 2 zones

Angelsenior has the right of it. The BA only gets one action and if he moves with it(as opposed to attacking), he can move up to two zones (like Wanda). If in the first zone he ends up with a survivor, he stops. He does not get an attack until his next turn (assuming he survives).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is an example of the berserker abomination using its 2 moves per activation on p.25 under Security Zones. The differences between the various zombies is made quite clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDarkKnight wrote:
Angelsenior wrote:

Angelsenior has the right of it. The BA only gets one action and if he moves with it(as opposed to attacking), he can move up to two zones (like Wanda). If in the first zone he ends up with a survivor, he stops. He does not get an attack until his next turn (assuming he survives).

I think it should probably be that he stops when he reaches his destination.

So, for example, if you had three zones in a row, the first contains two Survivors, the second one Survivor, and the third a Beserker Abomination, assuming there was no reason for him to go elsewhere, he would walk straight past the single Survivor in the middle zone and into the zone containing two Survivors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the rules dont clarify it, but i do think that you must perform the move one zone at a time, as such, if it rounds a corner and spots a more appropriate target that it didnt see before, then it will change direction for its second move.
and likewise, if the first move brings it in a zone with a survivor it should not move further.
it seems more logical for a zombie to eat the closest meal

i dont think it would always move its full movement towards its target if it means leaving a meal behind, this could possibly result in the zombie ending up in a zone with no survivors ie first zone abo, 2nd zone a single survivor, 3rd zone empty, 4th zone with 2 survivors
if it moves its full move towards the 2 survivors, it ends up in the empty zone with nothing to attack at all.
i dont think this is the intention of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
the rules dont clarify it, but i do think that you must perform the move one zone at a time, as such, if it rounds a corner and spots a more appropriate target that it didnt see before, then it will change direction for its second move.
and likewise, if the first move brings it in a zone with a survivor it should not move further.
it seems more logical for a zombie to eat the closest meal

i dont think it would always move its full movement towards its target if it means leaving a meal behind, this could possibly result in the zombie ending up in a zone with no survivors ie first zone abo, 2nd zone a single survivor, 3rd zone empty, 4th zone with 2 survivors
if it moves its full move towards the 2 survivors, it ends up in the empty zone with nothing to attack at all.
i dont think this is the intention of the rules.

If it had two actions, like a runner, then I'd agree, but it has '2 zones per move', like Wanda, instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
TheDarkKnight wrote:
Angelsenior wrote:

So, for example, if you had three zones in a row, the first contains two Survivors, the second one Survivor, and the third a Beserker Abomination, assuming there was no reason for him to go elsewhere, he would walk straight past the single Survivor in the middle zone and into the zone containing two Survivors.

I think he would stop in the zone with one survivor, just like the rules for Wanda. He doesn't have Slippery so there's no reason for him to ignore the single survivor. If he ignores survivors it would be much easier to kite him at your will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonahmaul wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
TheDarkKnight wrote:
Angelsenior wrote:

I think he would stop in the zone with one survivor, just like the rules for Wanda. He doesn't have Slippery so there's no reason for him to ignore the single survivor. If he ignores survivors it would be much easier to kite him at your will.

He doesn't need Slippery, he's an Abomination, he does what he wants.

Or, in other words, once he has chosen his destination he tries to get there, ignoring everything in between.

That would be my justification anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
jonahmaul wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
TheDarkKnight wrote:
Angelsenior wrote:

Or, in other words, once he has chosen his destination he tries to get there, ignoring everything in between.

There's no precedence for zombies of any sort just ignoring things. I would treat it just like a normal movement by somebody with 'X' zones per move, they would stop once they came into contact with something (the exception being the barbed wire fence for the Berserker Abomination). It is a question it would be good to get a proper answer to though, because thematically I can see it your way too, you find the noisiest zone and the Abomination just goes as far towards it as he can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonahmaul wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
jonahmaul wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
TheDarkKnight wrote:
Angelsenior wrote:

There's no precedence for zombies of any sort just ignoring things. I would treat it just like a normal movement by somebody with 'X' zones per move, they would stop once they came into contact with something (the exception being the barbed wire fence for the Berserker Abomination). It is a question it would be good to get a proper answer to though, because thematically I can see it your way too, you find the noisiest zone and the Abomination just goes as far towards it as he can.

There haven't been zombies that move more than one zone per action though, so he sets the precedence!

But, I can see it the other way too.

Definitely needs an official answer from GG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:

I agree!
(I think Jonah's right on this one though.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
jonahmaul wrote:

There's no precedence for zombies of any sort just ignoring things.

Zombies without line of sight will move towards the loudest zone, ignoring closer survivors.

So...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigblock75 wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:

I agree!
(I think Jonah's right on this one though.)

I'm always right....sometimes!

apotheos wrote:
jonahmaul wrote:

There's no precedence for zombies of any sort just ignoring things.

Zombies without line of sight will move towards the loudest zone, ignoring closer survivors.

So...

That's not what's being questioned though. If the Abomination has LOS to two zones; the first one zone away with one survivor; the second two zones away with two survivors, but directly in line after the first zone, in which the further one is generating more noise, will it just walk through the first zone containing one survivor to go to the noisiest zone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonahmaul wrote:
If the Abomination has LOS to two zones; the first one zone away with one survivor; the second two zones away with two survivors, but directly in line after the first zone, in which the further one is generating more noise, will it just walk through the first zone containing one survivor to go to the noisiest zone?

What a nice and concisely worded question, just right for my 'big ... Questions for ...' thread, that is...

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:

In the absence of a rule to the contrary, he should move like any other zombie, toward the nearest space containing a visible survivor or survivors or toward the space with the most noise.

Once he reaches a space with a survivor, he stops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EitherOrlok wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:

In the absence of a rule to the contrary, he should move like any other zombie, toward the nearest space containing a visible survivor or survivors or toward the space with the most noise.

The normal rules, when there are two or more visible groups, is that they move towards the loudest group (not the nearest).

For all other zombies this would in effect mean that they would just enter the first solitary Survivors zone (and, in the case of Runners, chow down), but only because no other Zombie moves two zones per move.

EitherOrlok wrote:
Once he reaches a space with a survivor, he stops.

As far as I am aware there is no rule that backs this assertion up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Anonymous
Germany
flag msg tools
I would guess he moves to the loudest group he can see. Even if he can't reach this group he will head for them non matter what's in the zones between. As far as I can see this would be conform to all known rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ Kucera
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
static
badge
static
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:

On the other hand, once the Abomination has been distracted by the loud noise two zones away, it'll look down the street and see that tasty survivor standing one zone away, first. Who's to say that it wasn't that tasty morsel making the noise? I'd be willing to bet that the zomie-decay process doesn't do wonders for zombies' eyesight.

Edit: Or in other words, I suppose, "You don't have to run faster than the bear, just faster than the guy next to you."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Anonymous
Germany
flag msg tools
sekhmet wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:

On the other hand, once the Abomination has been distracted by the loud noise two zones away, it'll look down the street and see that tasty survivor standing one zone away, first. Who's to say that it wasn't that tasty morsel making the noise? I'd be willing to bet that the zomie-decay process doesn't do wonders for zombies' eyesight.

Zombies don't care about the closest meal, they head for the noisiest according to the rules. If a runner is between two survivors one in reach and one too far away, he will head for the noisiest one even if he is out of reach. Don't see why this should be changed for the beserk abom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Abbath wrote:
sekhmet wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Zombies don't care about the closest meal, the head for the noisiest accoring to the rules. If a runner is between two survivors one in reach and one too far away, he will head for the noisiest one even if he is out of reach. Don't see why this should be changed for the beserk abom.

Yep, this is my interpretation of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ Kucera
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
static
badge
static
mbmbmbmbmb
Abbath wrote:
Zombies don't care about the closest meal, the head for the noisiest accoring to the rules. If a runner is between two survivors one in reach and one too far away, he will attack the noisiest even if he is out of reach.

Nah, apples and oranges. In the two-different-directions situation, the zombie's been distracted and has started to move in direction X, and there's no juicy survivors standing there in the same zone with him. When the zombie then starts to move along direction X, I'd think it take an opportunity to munch on a survivor in that direction, even if it's not in the same zone that generated the most noise.

I'd certainly admit that the rules as-written are somewhat ambiguous in this respect. The movement rules say that the zombies will move "toward" whatever zone is targetted, which to me leaves room for zombie plans to change mid-motion if the situation changes (ie: encountering a survivor). Though I suppose in the end I'd have to admit that the barrelling-ahead interpretation might be more consistent with a "rule by omission," which has proved to be the case more than once.

Perhaps we'll play with a house rule that the Berserker Abomination would move the full two spaces, but push the helpless survivor along with him into the nezt zone, hmm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.