Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having never played Ogre before this new 6th Edition, I don't know if this is a standard feature but something I really like about this game is that every counter and Ogre has a unique unit name - either a callsign for the unit like "Boom" or "Thor" and others have a leaders name and rank. I find that a cool touch and a level of detail that is pretty amazing considering the amount of countersheets - I thought that the multiple countersheets of the same type would be duplicates but no the names on the counters are all different. Very cool and hats off to SJG for adding this feature albeit minor shows the level of detail that went into this game.

T-Mo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

There are a lot of little nice touches. I keep finding them. There's a Vulcan names "Hans". Think about that for a second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
badge
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet-Gen. Mattis
mbmbmbmbmb
T-Mo wrote:
Having never played Ogre before this new 6th Edition, I don't know if this is a standard feature but something I really like about this game is that every counter and Ogre has a unique unit name - either a callsign for the unit like "Boom" or "Thor" and others have a leaders name and rank. I find that a cool touch and a level of detail that is pretty amazing considering the amount of countersheets - I thought that the multiple countersheets of the same type would be duplicates but no the names on the counters are all different. Very cool and hats off to SJG for adding this feature albeit minor shows the level of detail that went into this game.

T-Mo

In Keith Laumer's Bolo stories (one acknowledged source for Ogre), every Bolo Combat Unit had a name, and I would guess this is a hat tip. I know some people pledged extra to name some of the Ogres. The names will certainly make session reports more fun to write. The 1st and 2nd editions had generic Ogre counters with no names on them.

I, too, am loving the names on the Ogres as I punch them out. L33T, Doom, Kong, TRex, and my personal favorite, 923K (total $$ amt raised by KS campaign). With any luck we will get Steve and/or Phil to explain the stories behind the less obvious names.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boehland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's nothing little about Ogre 6th edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ellis
United States
Concord
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure SJG decided some, but during the Kickstarter, a call was sent out for suggestions for Ogre names.

The names on the Black Rose Mercenaries (the green on white counters) were sold off to BGG users as part of an initiative to sponsor counter sheets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher Green
msg tools
The Ogres, or at least 10 of them, were named by Kickstarter backers pledging at a limited $200 level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StormCrow42 wrote:
I'm sure SJG decided some, but during the Kickstarter, a call was sent out for suggestions for Ogre names.

The names on the Black Rose Mercenaries (the green on white counters) were sold off to BGG users as part of an initiative to sponsor counter sheets.

This just arrived a half hour ago....I quickly looked and found my counter -FS Bartow a GEV of the Black Rose Mercenaries Thats me! See my Avatar. I'm named after Francis Stebbins Bartow a confederate general who was killed at the First Battle of Bull Run. He was my great, great, great (not sure how many "greats") grandfather's commanding officer and the name has been passed down through the generations. My first name is Bartow. My deceased grandfather's middle name is Bartow, etc.

So, for $64 I got an FS Bartow GEV counter in Ogre as part of the BGG counter sheets. Sweet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I wound up with two or three named counters somewhere in the various sheets and add-ons. Hope I get to see them this year…

Th funny thing about having a counter named after you is that it tends to get killed first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boyd
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
I Play With Toy Soldiers.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BartowWing wrote:
StormCrow42 wrote:

This just arrived a half hour ago....I quickly looked and found my counter -FS Bartow a GEV of the Black Rose Mercenaries Thats me! See my Avatar. I'm named after Francis Stebbins Bartow a confederate general who was killed at the First Battle of Bull Run. He was my great, great, great (not sure how many "greats") grandfather's commanding officer and the name has been passed down through the generations. My first name is Bartow. My deceased grandfather's middle name is Bartow, etc.

So, for $64 I got an FS Bartow GEV counter in Ogre as part of the BGG counter sheets. Sweet!

GREAT Story, thanks for sharing it. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.