Geir Erik Ø
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
Geeks!
badge
Hello!
mbmbmbmbmb
Acording to http://www.talismanisland.com/ 5th of November 2013 was the day when Talisman turned 30 years old. We gathered to play a game of Talisman in honor of this great event in board game history.

Rules

We were 3 persons playing and we were using the following rules:

All the 4th edition expantions were mixed together. But we ignored the +1/-1 effect on monsters when using the day/night rule. This made becoming a werewolf even more powerful.

We also didn´t use the dragon rules and cards as they seem to complicate things.

We used the random ending cards and drew one character that we had to use.

We also included the forest realm from the 3rd edition and used two "dryad" cards form http://www.talismanisland.com/ to support it. Then we got to complete the final corner.

We also used the Timescape expantion from 1st/2nd edition supported by two warp gate spell cards found on http://www.talismanisland.com/ . The only way to enter the timescape was using the warp gate spell and

or drawing the "dark void" ending card. This was to limit it´s use and also make it something special.

Setting up

For characters we drew the ghoul, assassin and priest and the fun could begin.

Playing the game

All players focused on the main board in the beginning. There was two pools that gave a warlock quest, so we got to complete many warlock quest early in the game. This also meant the middel circle was used early as well. Both the priest and ghoul had problems killing anything, but the assassin cleaned up the table and kept the land monster free. The ghoul and prest managed to raise their craft by other means such as the temple or encantress.

The priest tried to enter the city, but was transported out quickly and the city was never used again. The assassin used the highland for a long time.

A turning point was when the priest got a warhorse and was turned into a werewolf by the werewolf. The warhorse is incredible good. The priest rushed down the dungeon to see if this could speed things up. It wasn´t very quick, but the priest started winning fights.

The ghoul was at this stage cursed by that creature that restrict your movement to 1 square until you cross the river "Poltergeis?" He was also transported deep into the forest realm by a dryad. This really speeded up the ghouls progress as he got many beatable creatures to fight.

The priest won against the dungeon boss and was transported into the chasm. Then he rushed out to get a warlock quest and soon got a talisman. Then he rushed into the inner circle using the mines rout. He had 7 craft + 2 craft from magic items and 5 strength. At night he got +2 craft or strength as he was a werewolf. The warhorse gave the priest a combat value of 16 at night. It was night when the priest reached the final space. The crown of command was protected by the dragon king, and he was slayed in two rounds. The good werewolf priest took the crown and ruled the land.

Conclution

It was a wery satisfying setup. The only thing I would consider was the +2 bonus on the werewolf. Maybe +1 is enough? Use the timescape and forest if you got them (even if we never used the timescape in the game, it was good to know it was there)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeez, that pile of adventure cards is like six inches high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geir Erik Ø
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
Geeks!
badge
Hello!
mbmbmbmbmb
A man is judged by how tall his adventure deck is. All sense told us to seperate the pile, but it was more fun to have them all in one. There was no accidents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:
Jeez, that pile of adventure cards is like six inches high.
Six inches, pfft, that's a tiny deck. This is what a proper deck looks like:

Sentinel alone stands over seven inches tall cool .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon New
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
I rather like Talisman
badge
The Wanderer
mbmbmbmbmb
Size isn't everything Rauli!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bellettini
Italy
Ravenna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tell me, how many hours to end the game?

My daughters always ask me to play Talisman (damn to the day i teaching that to them! But it is such a simpler game to teach!) i always deny because i don't have often so many hours to play! I have only The Reaper Expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon New
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
I rather like Talisman
badge
The Wanderer
mbmbmbmbmb
A game comprising the base game and one small expansion should take an hour (max). This assumes everyone is familiar with most cards and can think about where to move to without counting out spaces!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bellettini
Italy
Ravenna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4 hours today!
The ladies count fairly well but i think they like the game for the "exploration element" more than the ways to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls