Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are clear that pushed off tiles enter the general supply set to their earth side. However, the rules are not clear what happens to tiles removed from the board due to homogeneous rows and columns.

Do tiles removed in that way also go to the general supply? If so are they set to their earth side? I suspect that the answer to both questions is yes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are very vague and there is a lot of stuff that isn't covered in the booklet. I was lucky enough to play a few games with the designer and later asked him again to make sure. Here are the rules:

- Air stays Air when pushed out
- If there is no more Earth-tiles left, turn an Air into Earth
- If a whole row/column of Earth is eliminated, you check the back-side for Air, all other tiles (Water/Fire) are turned back to Earth.

Hope this helps. This is a great game, so enjoy it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pedrator wrote:
The rules are very vague and there is a lot of stuff that isn't covered in the booklet. I was lucky enough to play a few games with the designer and later asked him again to make sure. Here are the rules:

This is in direct contradiction to the written rules! That is quite shocking. When did you play this with the designer, is it possible that it was a slightly earlier prototype?

Quote:

This is slightly different than what you implied in the other thread. If there are no Earth tiles MUST I flip an air tile? Even if I don't intend to use it?

Quote:
- If a whole row/column of Earth is eliminated, you check the back-side for Air, all other tiles (Water/Fire) are turned back to Earth.

Okay, checking for air makes sense. What if an edge of water or fire is eliminated, do they flip to earth? I'm inferring that all removed edges do go to the general supply, not removed from the game, is that correct?

Quote:

Haven't had the pleasure to play it yet, but I look forward to it Thanks for your help figuring out the rules. It's a bit weird that such simple rules could be lacking so much :S

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JonBen wrote:
Pedrator wrote:

This is in direct contradiction to the written rules! That is quite shocking. When did you play this with the designer, is it possible that it was a slightly earlier prototype?

I played with Dominique just last week in Essen, it was on the final day on Sunday. I took a copy with me and after I went to the rules I couldn't find the answer to some of the questions you too had, so I contacted him and got the replies I gave to you.

JonBen wrote:
Quote:

This is slightly different than what you implied in the other thread. If there are no Earth tiles MUST I flip an air tile? Even if I don't intend to use it?

Yes, there is always one available Earth tile.

JonBen wrote:
Quote:

Okay, checking for air makes sense. What if an edge of water or fire is eliminated, do they flip to earth? I'm inferring that all removed edges do go to the general supply, not removed from the game, is that correct?

In theory it doesn't really matter where they go to I suppose, but you are correct, tiles go to the general supply and in the general supply there are never Fire or Water tiles but only Earth or Wind. if you have a complete row of Fire/Water that is removed, you flip these tiles to their Earth side.

JonBen wrote:
Quote:

Haven't had the pleasure to play it yet, but I look forward to it Thanks for your help figuring out the rules. It's a bit weird that such simple rules could be lacking so much :S

If you play this game you see how simple the rules are. This game is instantly playable. I suppose there are 2 reasons for the vague rulebook:
1) The rules are so easy and simple that the editor probably figured they would fit in just those pages. So there was probably a space issue whereas at the same time the publisher wanted the rules to look nice and reserved some space for images and examples.

2) Due to the above, the editor most likely cut down the rules description to its essential and in his understanding of the game omitted some of these instructions.

Just speculating, but it's the sort of thing that happens a lot: space management per page on a set maximum number of pages, and the inherent understanding of the game that makes us "assume that some things don't need to be told".

It's a great game Jon, give it a go. You might not get it from the rules, but one of the things that's really challenging is trying to cause chain reactions as the edges fall off or using Air tiles to delay them and gaining timing against your opponent. I think it's brilliant and you can play it in 10 or less minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zeblate zeblate
msg tools
mb
Hello,
Thanks Pedro for your answers.

The only missing thing in the written rules is this :
"If there is no more Earth tile on the outside of the board you can flip an Air Tile to play it as an Earth Tile."

The other thing I explain to Pedro and to other player (Air stay on Air side when ejected) is an evolution of the rules. This evolution is the way I play the game because I like the feeling of playing like this. You can see this like advanced rules.

Dominique Breton
Ignis Game Designer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Duchesne
Canada
La Baie
Quebec
flag msg tools
If I read correctly, if a row of Earth tiles is out, it turns to air.

My question is, If a row of Air tiles is out, does it turns to earth ?

It would be more simple to say that you can ALWAYS choose between Air or Earth tiles from the begining to the end of the game.
But I don't want to change the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When the board is full and all pieces have placed you are left with only one piece. This piece is always earth.

Also, you may run out of Air, but you will never run out of Earth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ARTHUR REILLY
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When bits and pieces of the rules are spread over several threads, it can become difficult to follow. What I want to do here, is explain the complete set of rules for the game and have you tell me if I'm correct.

1. All tiles, regardless of how they are removed from the board are always returned to the supply.

2. If there are no remaining earth tiles in the supply, you turn over an air tile to show it's earth tile instead. Thus earth tiles are always available to play.

3. Water and Fire tiles, regardless of how they are removed from the board, are always set to their earth side before returning them to the supply.

4. Earth tiles, regardless of how they are removed from the board are checked for an air symbol on the other side and if it is there, it's retuned to supply as a air tile.

5. Air tiles, regardless of how they are removed from the board, will always stay as air tiles when they are returned to supply.

6. Only an earth tile can push off an air tiles. Air tiles can also be removed when they entirely fill a row/column on the board.

7. Earth tiles cannot be pushed off the board. Earth tiles can only be removed when they entirely fill a row/column on the board.

I hope all of the above is correct and is my current understanding of the rules.

Please confirm if my understanding is correct, or note and correct any misunderstandings I may have had.

In my opinion, this is one of the best board games to have come out in years. Congratulations on coming up with such a remarkable game.

Your truly,

Arthur Reilly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ARTHUR REILLY
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what happen when an entire row/column of air tiles are removed. Do
they become earth tiles or do they remain air tiles.

I don't think, if I read everything correctly, that this question was addressed.

Thanks so much for your help.

Arthur Reilly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zeblate zeblate
msg tools
mb
Hello Arthur,

First, thanks for the :"In my opinion, this is one of the best board games to have come out in years. Congratulations on coming up with such a remarkable game."
It's a great pleasure for me to read comments like this one

You make a good resume of the Ignis rules.

When a complet air line colapse all the air tiles go into the supply on their air side.

Just one thing you forget : A complet line of any color colapse, it's not just Air and Earth, it's also Fire and Water. With a smart move you can remove several enemy tiles from the board in one turn (their is a exemple into the rules booklet).

The forth point :
"Earth tiles, regardless of how they are removed from the board are checked for an air symbol on the other side and if it is there, it's retuned to supply as a air tile."
This is not into the rules booklet, it's a rule I apply when I play myself. I prefear this way.

If you want some new starting set :
http://www.hutter-trade.com/en/companynews/bonus-ignis-fans-...

Dominique Breton
Ignis Game Designer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ARTHUR REILLY
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much for your quick response. Looks like I did get the rules correct. I feel so much better now. Being such an Abstract Strategy board game lover, I always like to understand the rules perfectly. Thanks so much for your help. I'm surprised you don't have a distributor in the U.S.A. Perhaps a popular site like Funagain.com would consider carrying it. It's where I get most of my games that I can't find in stores. Looking forward to whatever you may come up with next.

Sincerely,

Arthur Reilly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.