Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
So I had a session of 7 Wonders the other day and normally I don't write these up however this one had something incredibly unique about it.

So first of all let me say that this 7 wonders game had Cities, Leader's and the wonder pack included. Because of that I don't know which board would be the most relevant board to put it in so I'm just putting it in the normal 7 Wonders session page.

So I was Manneken Pis and looking left and Right I saw that I'd be copying Petra B (Stage 1: 3, points all other players lose 2 coins, Stage 2 (my stage 3): 14 points costs 14 coins) and Stonehenge (Stage 2: Reveal card used to build this stage. Get points for the number of those cards played by your neighbors).

So right off the bat I was looking forward to this cause I saw that I have great potential for a large number of points.

Leader Drafting was very rocky. For the most part I got garbage with the only good leaders being 1 coin for 6 coins and 4 coins for 2 pts/ stage of wonder built.

First leaders were played and I was groaning. My least favorite card in all of 7 Wonders as of right now is Archemedies (-1 resource for science cards). He is the only card I view as being possibly overpowered to the point that he should be changed/removed. So he hit the table and right off the bat I know science is going to be a problem. Unfortunately I'm in no position to do much about it.

Age 1 was a little wonky. Despite not starting with any / resourse cards i ended up with 2 good ones due to being passed them. I also ended up playing 3 military cards due to having nothing better to play.

Sadly Science guy not only got a full set but he also got a Mask (Sadness). The only saving grace was that the player next to him was also investing in science so I hoped they might knock each other out.

Age 2 was also pretty uneventful. I didn't get either the caravansary or the forum so I invested a lot in resources. I wanted to leave myself the option to hate science if ti was there so I held of on building my wonder but a good option to hate science never presented itself to me. Also on rounds 6 and 7 I ended up having a 5 and 4 point blue card respectfully so I ended Age 2 having not built a single stage of my wonder. The science guys were duking it out and both had a good number of them played but neither had an obscene amount.

To get the ball rolling I built stage 1 using my leader and going into age 3 I looked at my neighbors and instantly noticed that combined they had played 7 yellow cards. I made a note to myself to make sure to build stage 2 of my wonder with a yellow card.

Age 3 started off pretty well. Though I got nothing spectacular I did see 2 hands with a lot of science bunched into them which finally let me breath a sigh of relief. 1 of them was utterly worthless to me but it had a yellow card in it making it a perfect opportunity to get my second stage built. I played a few other cards worth 6/7 points and a few that got me money so when the time came I could build by 14 coin/14 point wonder stage.

Game end and both science players have 3 complete sets but not much else. Being a city game I was pretty sure this alone wouldn't be enough. When it came time to score our wonders I had a pretty cool 17 points from copying Petra but then I revealed my Stonehenge card as being yellow and that's where things got really crazy. The guy on my left had gone out of his way to play a lot of yellow cards and combined with the guy on my right stage 2 was worth 12 points on it's own bringing my total wonder points to an insane 29.

Ultimately I ended up winning with a score in the 80s. The science bunching like it did had stopped science from getting really insane and I had nabbed enough points from different categories to make up their high science scores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice game! Great report!
This is a great example to present strategy, ans show that science is not a runaway victory (even with 3 complete sets).
It also shows that luck is not an overwhelming factor. The game is long enough (especially with 3 extra turns for cities, and 3 extra chances for leaders) that even with your rough start, the strategies balance out.
Sounds like a 5 player game at least? (since the 2 science were on the other side of the table)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.