Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had Al Qaeda come up in a Solo game as the Coalition player, and the Taliban and Warlords were both ineligible. Coalition was first to act, Government second.

I noticed that, despite the event directly helping the Coalition, there was no halo and no special instructions, so it appears the government will play the event. This allowed me, as the Coalition, to execute an Op+Special Activity, then another free Surge op (which ironically I used to hurt the government, by deploying bases to spaces with Support that didn't have one already). That said, the government did get a whopping +12 aid (+9 from the card and +3 from Surge die roll), and +9 resources, so perhaps this was intentional?

This isn't so much a rules question as a designer's intent question...I understand the rules, but want to make sure there wasn't an oversight. Was it decided that this card benefits the government so much that they should take the event even though it also could help the Player Coalition, or should this card only be played for event if the Coalition is Non-Player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes even your ally helps you!

If an event helps a bot, I generally let them take it, even if it also may help another faction, even a player. I tried to keep special instructions to the minimum I could manage, it's variable and hard to predict how much such help will matter in a given circumstance (in your case, Taliban happened to be Ineligible while both Coalition and Govt were Eligible), and some such help is thematic.

Regards! Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.