Popular Tags: [View All]
JT Payne
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I need to know about Varel...

Her card says you cancel the attack before the other player rolls their dice. Say the other player is using a "discard" attack like BoF to attack. I throw down Varel and discard her to cancel the attack, does the other player discard their Barrage of Fire card, since they would have used it to make the attack in the first place?

Andrew? Please, please say yes... devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Silbernagel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance: Available Now!
mbmbmbmbmb
Davitch wrote:

Her card says you cancel the attack before the other player rolls their dice. Say the other player is using a "discard" attack like BoF to attack. I throw down Varel and discard her to cancel the attack, does the other player discard their Barrage of Fire card, since they would have used it to make the attack in the first place?

Yes, Varel is an effective (but expensive!) counter to Barrage of Fire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Caputo
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
becomes pretty cheap with Wayoun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pitner
United States
Plano
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew Parks wrote:
Davitch wrote:

Sounds like a worthy sideboard card

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin OConnor
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
What is your favorite color?
mbmbmbmbmb
As awesome as Varel is it can get really expensive really fast.

5 point penalty for a non-Apnex [science vessel] ship.
1 more penalty for non-romulan.

That's 11 [potentially] to get them on your ship.

Paired with Wayoun = priceless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Payne
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Andrew Parks wrote:
Davitch wrote:

Expense is cost relative to the player...

Varel cost 10 points...

Look on Klingon players face when his entire attack is canceled, his ships have Auxillary power tokens and is now within deadly range of a Romulan fleet fielding cloaking mines and torpedoes...pricelessdevil

As you can tell I do not like Klingons that much...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin OConnor
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
What is your favorite color?
mbmbmbmbmb
Davitch wrote:
Andrew Parks wrote:
Davitch wrote:

Expense is cost relative to the player...

Varel cost 10 points...

Look on Klingon players face when his entire attack is canceled, his ships have Auxillary power tokens and is now within deadly range of a Romulan fleet fielding cloaking mines and torpedoes...pricelessdevil

As you can tell I do not like Klingons that much...

Yes and no.

Shooting and taking out other targets first still works. And generally it is not just 1 strong attack that the Klingons are going to throw at you but more along the lines of 3, 4 or maybe even 5 depending on the build they are using.

Cancelling 1 certainly hurts, but they other will still get you.

Unless they corbomite maneuver you too....
that is just cruel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Payne
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have a player who is relying on it to erase at least one ship out of my fleet next OP, I picked up the Apnex today to bolster my Romulan toolkit. I believe it will come to a nice surprise when it goes off. If I could get another interphase generator I would, but I don't feel like dropping another 15 for ship that I will never use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Davitch wrote:
I have a player who is relying on it to erase at least one ship out of my fleet next OP, I picked up the Apnex today to bolster my Romulan toolkit. I believe it will come to a nice surprise when it goes off. If I could get another interphase generator I would, but I don't feel like dropping another 15 for ship that I will never use.

Well I know it's not me. C'mon give him up, who is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Payne
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tacullu64 wrote:
Davitch wrote:

No, I am not telling! You will have to find out on Sunday, Sunday, Sunday!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Davitch wrote:
Tacullu64 wrote:
Davitch wrote:

No, I am not telling! You will have to find out on Sunday, Sunday, Sunday!!!

I got a new guy signed up for both Saturdays and Sundays event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.