Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was just funny all around with no prisoners taken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, it really was 2:00 of "ok fine, we need to point out the obvious", followed by 4:00 of Jon Stewart pulling the most ridiculous opposition statements he can find and telling you why you should like the ACA anyway. Still, I would like to know where I can buy a "Lenin didn't say that" stamp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. I try to keep current on the reporting from across the spectrum and outside of the guy that got the "Even Lenin is rolling his eyes at you" stamp, the rest is pretty mainstream for the conservative press.

I just thought it was funny. Period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think it's pretty silly to draw an equivalence between Obama's statements and those of pundits... there's a reason a don't watch cable news. Surely it wouldn't have been too much to compare to Boehner, Rubio, McConnell, et al?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think you would find a significant difference in those statements? I think if you look around, you might be surprised at how close they are. Some of the stories the pundits are sharing are appearing in newsletters and talking points from significant figures in the GOP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of the bigger guns are also playing this close to the chest. With the pledges running around like human bullhorns they can just let it ride and not be caught out if things turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You'll find some pretty good quotes from the leadership, but nothing as over-the-top as some of those pundits. My main point was that the structure of the piece was clearly more "Obama may have been a little dishonest, but those conservatives are *crazy*", rather than "no prisoners taken on both sides".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When the behavior of fhe sides is unequal, the coverage should likewise be unequal. That is the strange notion called 'honesty.' Too many in the media are too concerned with 'balanced' and not enough honest. Presennting 'burn all redheads' as a fair and opposite point to 'lets not burn people' isn't 'balanced' it's intellectually dishonest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree, but that's not really relevant to the above bit. I have no problem with Jon Stewart's work...he's very talented at what he does. He also lets his own political ideals shine through a lot, which is completely fine for a political humor show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you are making the claim that Obama's actions/speech and those of the pundits lampooned are of equal measure and validity?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fizzmore wrote:
You'll find some pretty good quotes from the leadership, but nothing as over-the-top as some of those pundits. My main point was that the structure of the piece was clearly more "Obama may have been a little dishonest, but those conservatives are *crazy*", rather than "no prisoners taken on both sides".

It's always interesting to see how different people view the same things. I thought the administration actually got the worst of that piece - it's a fundamental criticism of credibility. The fact that the opposition is going so far afield is not only not new, it's more a statement that the tactics are costing them on the credibility front as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
So you are making the claim that Obama's actions/speech and those of the pundits lampooned are of equal measure and validity?

No...in fact my criticism of it is that it draws an equivalence between them, when I think dishonesty from the President is far weightier than pundits saying stupid things ("a political pundit said something stupid on cable TV. In other news, water is wet.").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
It was funny. Period.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:
It was funny. Period.

Beat you to that joke. Exclamation point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
perfalbion wrote:
ejmowrer wrote:
It was funny. Period.

So, I'm not allowed to agree with you? Question mark.

I made the joke again because Paul was still going on and on about how it's not funny to make fun of conservatives, only democrats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:

Only if you do it right. Exclamation point.

Then again, we've probably beaten this joke to death by now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:
perfalbion wrote:
ejmowrer wrote:
It was funny. Period.

I made the joke again because Paul was still going on and on about how it's not funny to make fun of conservatives, only democrats.

Oh please...that's not what I said at all ( and for the record, neither did Lenin).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.