Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
Subscribe to Smashing Plastic on YouTube
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I want to buy an intro box for a friend for christmas... but I can't seem to find it.

So here are my questions:

1) Is there any word on availability of the intro box? Will it be (re)released in time for Christmas 2013?

2) Is it better to wait for the 're-print' or should I just go ahead and buy something else?

3) If I'm not going to wait for a intro box, where/how does one get started in battetech?

Thanks for your help guys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Alexopoulos
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure about the availability of the intro box set. However, for starters, go to the official Battletech website: http://bg.battletech.com/?page_id=157 You can check out the latest news and Battletech products. There is also a section for beginners and some free intro downloads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
boufalaxx wrote:
Hello,

I want to buy an intro box for a friend for christmas... but I can't seem to find it.

So here are my questions:

1) Is there any word on availability of the intro box? Will it be (re)released in time for Christmas 2013?

2) Is it better to wait for the 're-print' or should I just go ahead and buy something else?

3) If I'm not going to wait for a intro box, where/how does one get started in battetech?

Thanks for your help guys

I just popped in to check some geekmails, but I can answer this question soon. Likely a few other players will answer some, if not all of your questions, but if not, I'll do what I can. Hope you don't mind a lengthy read as some of what you need to know is fairly short to answer, but much of what you're going to want to know, perhaps not as much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like it really is out of stock all over the place. But I am sure if you look really hard, there'll be a copy in stock somewhere... sometimes sets come up on eBay, so its worth a look see there.

I think the starter set is a great place to start and there is a lot of game in the box and you could be playing that for a long time. I think they may be coming out with a new starter set with better minis... but that's just hearsay.

I would practice painting on the minis from the starter set if you need the practice. They paint up great.

After you've gotten started, I would get the core rulebook and the Classic Battletech Starterbook: Sword and Dragon, and get the corresponding minis for that... buy or make some scenery if you don't want to use the board-maps or just stick with those maps and buy some hex-pack & map packs. The map-packs turn up on eBay a lot on the cheap and you can usually get bundle. The rest is up to you, but by the time you get to this stage, you'll have a better idea how you want to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Places are already starting to have the new starter set available for pre-order. That doesn't answer the question of it being available by Christmas, though you'd think so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn is boufalaxx
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
Subscribe to Smashing Plastic on YouTube
mbmbmbmbmb
Naw, it's all good, Found one in the dusty corner of one of the local shops!

All set up for Christmas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester Hendrix
United States
Marysville
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you guys think would be a decent price range for that package? I'm looking at putting together a BATTLETECH board game [think SUCCESSION WARS meets TWILIGHT:IMPERIUM/AXIS & ALIES] which won't be cheap with all the minis [think T:I/A&A style minis]. I'm curious about the perceived sticker shock if we have to go the KICKSTARTER route. Reply here or over here-

boardgamegeek.com/article/14079295#14079295

And don't forget [I did] that BT 30th Anniversary is next year!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Your Buddy Chester wrote:
What do you guys think would be a decent price range for that package? I'm looking at putting together a BATTLETECH board game [think SUCCESSION WARS meets TWILIGHT:IMPERIUM/AXIS & ALIES] which won't be cheap with all the minis [think T:I/A&A style minis]. I'm curious about the perceived sticker shock if we have to go the KICKSTARTER route. Reply here or over here-

boardgamegeek.com/article/14079295#14079295

And don't forget [I did] that BT 30th Anniversary is next year!

There is no way that you could get away with making a Battletech game for any other reason than personal use, and you wouldn't be able to use Kickstarter either. If you choose to do this, get lawyers. Lots of good ones, cause you'll need it. Unless I've jumped the gun and you somehow obtained the rights to produce and sell a boardgame with the Battletech IP. If so, then by all means, disregard the above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester Hendrix
United States
Marysville
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian-
Please check the thread listed above. This game was submitted to CATALYST LABS, and it appears they have chosen to go with another design.

That being said, there are publishers in Europe who are interested in publishing it - in Europe. This will not be possible [using the BATTLETECH name/universe/etc] unless the publisher is able to get a license agreement from CATALYST LABS. As a game designer, I am very sensitive to the issues of Intellectual Property and have no intention of attempting to publish my design as it exists without their express permission.

As to the KICKSTARTER possibility, that would, again, be for a European release - but only with the appropriate licensing agreement from CATALYST LABS. If a license cannot be obtained, retheming would be fairly easy, leaving the design intact as is.

I detail all of this in the thread mentioned, as well as a personal letter to CATALYST LABS. It's not like any of this is being done in the dark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.