Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Juha Niittynen
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I just got the game and after a quick read-through of the rules I have one small question: in attacking section of the rules it says:

"ATTACKing is free, but can only be done once per turn, and only after Mutating and Reproducing"

Does this mean that you can only attack if you have done both mutating and reproduce during your turn or just that you can't mutate and reproduce after you have attacked?

For example if I have only 400 calories left after eating phase and I can only mutate but not reproduce that turn, can I still attack someone after mutating?

best regards,
Juha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Major Johnson
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The intent was that if you attack before mutating or reproducing that you've forgone those options, that is, if you attack first, it means that you CANNOT mutate or reproduce that turn!

This is unlike games like magic which have a phase before and after the attack phase where you can play other cards. For V!C! the attack specifically comes last.

Hope that clears things up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We initially played it that you had to do both in order to attack--I think that is incorrect. Having to do both means you need 800 calories after feeding, which can be very difficult to achieve.

After rereading the rules, we took this to mean that you attack after the PHASE in which you can mutate or reproduce. The rules are awkwardly worded on this point, but suffice to say it's a VERY different (and MUCH more fun) game if you can always attack. As the number of players increases, the number of tasty targets for your attack increases too, even if you don't have many mutations yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Major Johnson
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite!

Post-finalization I've run into a handful of places where the rules aren't as well written as they should be. Just last weekend I discovered that your "defense value" against predators wasn't addressed in either section of the predators rules, but was buried off in another part of the rules and thus easy to miss!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.