Subject: Medical tissue samples, anatomy and the Shoa rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
This aticle has horrifying implications.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
That's exactly why informed consent is essential in human subjects research today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm having some trouble here. I skimmed the article, so maybe that's the source of my confusion. Is there anyone here who doesn't agree on the following two things:

1. Nazis were very bad people
2. You can get pregnant from rape

I know there are fringe wackos who would disagree with one or both, but is anyone here really willing to argue the other side? I don't see this leading to much discussion, unless I'm just missing the point...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
happyjosiah wrote:
I'm having some trouble here. I skimmed the article, so maybe that's the source of my confusion. Is there anyone here who doesn't agree on the following two things:

1. Nazis were very bad people
2. You can get pregnant from rape

I know there are fringe wackos who would disagree with one or both, but is anyone here really willing to argue the other side? I don't see this leading to much discussion, unless I'm just missing the point...

Well I would strongly suggest you go read it rather than skim it. If you read the article thoroughly you will discover it goes into a lot about bio-ethics and social pressure and other ethical considerations in great detail.

Many things worth talking about and certainly worth thinking about about.

This isn't one of the typical one trick pony opinion pieces that often get posted here where one idea gets posited and hammered repeatedly from only slightly different angles. It is a deep piece which brings up many things to consider that are far more nuanced than what you took from it so far.

Quote:
Caplan ... argues for the importance of seeing the doctors who took advantage of Nazi immorality to benefit their research not as “kooks,” but instead as typical and conventional for their time and place. “One of the great challenges in all of ethics is, how do mainstream, legitimate people do evil things?” he said. “It’s not like we can necessarily stop it. But to understand how it happened—that is our best shot.”

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For one, it strongly argues that most banks of tissue sample world-wide are of ethically questionable origin.

EDIT:
So what exactly do we as a society do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:

EDIT:
So what exactly do we as a society do?

Time Machine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fuck me are these people mental, do they not even check the facts they regurgitate just a little, I know conservatives hate it but USE GOOGLE.

I hope though moshe I do not misunderstand the point you are making.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Fuck me are these people mental, do they not even check the facts they regurgitate just a little, I know conservatives hate it but USE GOOGLE.

I have no specific point except that we have the real ethical issue, termed in the paper the Henrietta Lacks problem, that most of the tissue cultures used in medical research come from ethically tainted sources. We obviously can't stop all medical research. So how do we address the issue?

EDIT:
It's not a simple question and there are no simple answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Folks have been thumped on the back of the head in an alley or had a fiver slipped to the mortician and turned into lab work for as long as there have been labs.

Is it the sellers, is it the buyers?

Competition? Thirst for knowledge? Speed and ease of skipping a step?

Or are doctors just weird fuckers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

I have no specific point except that we have the real ethical issue, termed in the paper the Henrietta Lacks problem, that most of the tissue cultures used in medical research come from ethically tainted sources. We obviously can't stop all medical research. So how do we address the issue?

EDIT:
It's not a simple question and there are no simple answers.
There are two issues raised in the article, on is tainted samples (not a lot we can do about that really, it a sense it's too late for the victims, our energy is best spent ensuring it never happens again) the other is the use of tainted (and in most cases discredited) Nazi research to support half arsed anti-choice arguments, that is something we an do something about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Altair IV wrote:
Folks have been thumped on the back of the head in an alley or had a fiver slipped to the mortician and turned into lab work for as long as there have been labs.

Yeah but if we simply turn a blind eye, we condone these things. On the other hand, if we dump all the samples, we cripple medical research; if we get rid of results from unethically obtained bodies and tissues, we basically destroy Western medicine as we know it. Neither is a good option.

Obviously we have to keep medical research because it helps us keep people alive, which does ethically make up for a lot, albeit not for everything. So how do we acknowledge and address the ethical issues without doing something thoroughly stupid?

I'm not sure given the history we should just trust the medical community to come up with its own answers but we certainly need that input.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Altair IV wrote:

Yeah but if we simply turn a blind eye, we condone these things. On the other hand, if we dump all the samples, we cripple medical research; if we get rid of results from unethically obtained bodies and tissues, we basically destroy Western medicine as we know it. Neither is a good option.

Obviously we have to keep medical research because it helps us keep people alive, which does ethically make up for a lot, albeit not for everything. So how do we acknowledge and address the ethical issues without doing something thoroughly stupid?

I'm not sure given the history we should just trust the medical community to come up with its own answers but we certainly need that input.
Not sure that this really is a 'medical community problem' this is rather medicine and politics combining. Certainly certain unethical elements of the medical profession took advantage of the political climate in Germany at the time to further their own careers and research. In that respect I partially agree with you, just being a doctor does not make you some kind of moral (or intellectual) paragon, and we do put far to much faith in their good offices. Thus I agree that medicine (and science) needs to have outside scrutiny of it's ethics and methods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's especially the samples taken from victims of the Shoa but there's also things like samples taken from Henrietta Lacks, a black woman from America who died of cervical cancer. Some ridiculous amount of tissue samples worldwide originate with her. Yet neither she nor her family were ever asked for consent, basically because she was black and had desirable tissue properties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
It's especially the samples taken from victims of the Shoa but there's also things like samples taken from Henrietta Lacks, a black woman from America who died of cervical cancer. Some ridiculous amount of tissue samples worldwide originate with her. Yet neither she nor her family were ever asked for consent, basically because she was black and had desirable tissue properties.
I have to admit I have no issue with taking tissue form dead people, they are dead. The only issue I have is how they died.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
whac3 wrote:
I have to admit I have no issue with taking tissue form dead people, they are dead. The only issue I have is how they died.

That's a bloody callous attitude. The body is the last remains of a person. Even if you don't feel the need to respect that person, what of their family and friends?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
whac3 wrote:

That's a bloody callous attitude. The body is the last remains of a person. Even if you don't feel the need to respect that person, what of their family and friends?
What of their friends and family? The body is a vessel nothing more, it is not the person, the person has passed on. Moreover (as you point out) this tissue sampling has been used to save lives, maybe the lives of the 'victims' family and friends, surely that is a greater legacy then a complete body that will rot away anyway? It's not as if the body remains an inviolate temple of the person, for ever retains their life semblance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
What of their friends and family? The body is a vessel nothing more, it is not the person, the person has passed on.

That's a very culturally Christian attitude.
Quote:
Moreover (as you point out) this tissue sampling has been used to save lives, maybe the lives of the 'victims' family and friends, surely that is a greater legacy then a complete body that will rot away anyway? It's not as if the body remains an inviolate temple of the person, for ever retains their life semblance.

So the ends justifies the means?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
What of their friends and family? The body is a vessel nothing more, it is not the person, the person has passed on.

So what your viewpoint is as much a refection of your culture is that an argument against it? Any moral stance s informed by your cultural background, but does persons cultural background, The problem comes when two moral codes collie, whose should take precedence? the one that produces the greatest (social) benefit or the one that produces the most (individual) upset?
Quote:

Quote:
Moreover (as you point out) this tissue sampling has been used to save lives, maybe the lives of the 'victims' family and friends, surely that is a greater legacy then a complete body that will rot away anyway? It's not as if the body remains an inviolate temple of the person, for ever retains their life semblance.

Depends (as I implied earlier) on the means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Personally, if I had been awaiting to be executed by the Nazis, I would probably hoped that a more civilised society down the roads could derive meaning from my death - symbolic or otherwise. Subjectively, I would hope that my dead body could be useful to anyone. That's I carry an organ donor card.

Objectively, though, I understand how this issue is problematic to many and I respect their opinons. But I think it should be, if at all possible, the will of the individual alone, what to be done with their dead body. I completely sympathise with parents for example, whose child has died, when they in their grief reject the body to be used for medical purposes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
slatersteven wrote:
whac3 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

That was a rhetorical question. Both the ends (scientific progress) and the means (using dead bodies for scientific research) are pretty clear here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon Mueller wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
whac3 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

That was a rhetorical question. Both the ends (scientific progress) and the means (using dead bodies for scientific research) are pretty clear here.
Not exactly, as the goal posts were marginally shifted, the Holocaust was an act of mass murder, the black woman died of cancer, they do not equate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't shifting the goals. Both are taking tissues and bodies without informed consent. The circumstances of the Shoa are simply far more horrible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Altair IV wrote:

A tricky business to balance skeevy to outright evil things that have good outcomes.

I heard that story on Lacks....her tissue samples seem to almost propagate themselves and can contaminate work throughout an entire lab.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:

This summer, after some 50 years Henrietta Lacks' family *were* brought into the loop, and now have a say in how her cell lines and genome are used.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/nih-finally-makes-good-henriet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Isn't it also an atheist view? I understand it's not Judaism's view, but isn't it the vast majority of modern humanity's view?

For cases where samples were illegally taken, my vote is to punish the person that took it, but keep the samples unless giving them back makes the person or person's family much happier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.