Popular Tags: [View All]
Dusty S
United States
Cheney
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've stayed away from any game that was strictly solo for quite some time. I've tried a few solo variants of some of my other games (Agricola, Castles of Burgundy, Le Havre, etc.) but recently picked up a copy of Friday and have really enjoyed it. This lead me to wonder whether I might not be missing some other interesting solo games. So I clicked on the "solo game" tab on Friday's page and was shown a ton of games that are designed for multiplayer play, but have a solo option. I'm not really interested in these.
So here's what I'm looking for; Interesting solo-only games that aren't terribly hard to find and hopefully aren't too expensive. And it would be nice if the rulebook wasn't the size of a small novel.

Any suggestions?

I thank you in advance for your input.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mesa
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
I recommend reading through this: http://games.richsommer.com

Mage Knight is supposed to be a great solo game. I liked Suburbia solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EURO

Snowdonia all the way. Amazing solo game.

THEMATIC

Ghost Stories - Favorite, thematic solo game. Probably my favorite solo game ever.

What's nice about the above is they are great solo games, and they're great multi-player games.

[edit]
...And I just read the rest of your thread, so perhaps you'll ignore my suggestions above (I don't think you should).

So here you go:

Thunderbolt Apache Leader - War game.
Darkest Night (First edition) - Thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, Dusty. Small, solo-only, inexpensive games?

Onirim
Urbion

Technically, they can be played by 1 or 2, but I think the majority of people buy them specifically as a solo game.

How about co-op games? Space Hulk: Death Angel comes in a small box and is 20 bucks or so. The rules are more involved than the other two I mentioned, but it's super fun and one of my favorite solo games.

There are tons of solo only Print n Play games if you're interested in that: Utopia Engine, The Harbinger Project, Maquis, The Lord of the Rings Adventure Game, and on and on...

There is just a plethora of solo games out there. Good luck with your search. And let me know if you have any questions about what I suggested.

Mo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Onirim and Urbion fit all your criteria perfectly. Small, easy to find, small rules, solo only, cheap. They aren't as good as Friday, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy E
msg tools
mbmbmb
It's not exclusively solo, but I've never played Mage Knight multiplayer. It's a fantastic solo game, with lots of variation and replay value.

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective is another game which is not strictly solo-only, but the solo play is fantastic. (P.S. I wish all mystery novels were written in the form of this game.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Moon
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
But my glass is dirty. Will you wipe it for me? Then you might take a peek into my mind ; )
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second every game Shane Larsen has recommended.

Ghost Stories = I played for a week or so straight, every night. Eventually I had to pack it up as I got other new games to try out but this game is incredibly fun even by yourself. Now, when my expansion (White Moon) arrives, I am sure that I will be playing this game for another week straight.

Snowdonia = Just finished my very first solo game, and it is amazingly well designed game. Only dis-satisfying part was that there really was no set goal to overcome other than your own high score (or others collective high scores). Wish there was some set amount of victory points to indicate how well you have done. But very good, light worker placement game.

Onirim/Urbion = Very light, quick playing card game that you can carry around with you anywhere. I find these better than Friday.

Race for the Galaxy = Incredibly fun game to play solo. There is even a PC version where you get to compete with quite a difficult AI (I lose 3 out of 4 times...god such a beating), so do try that out. If you want a physical copy, I recommend you grab the first expansion The Gathering Storm for solitaire robot AI; however, there are fan variants which seems to work quite as well without the need for robot AI which I prefer.

At the gates of Louyang = I prefer to play this solo over all other Rosenberg's games. Agricola/Le Havre they all play solo amazingly well, but Louyang is lighter, and variability between each game is amazing. A quite difficult one to do well as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game especially if you like the deck building aspect of Friday. Its a no brainer if you're a Marvel fan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, most of the best solitaire games ARE more expensive. This includes Mage Knight (I know, it plays more than 1; however, unlike Agricola and similar, many folks prefer going at this one alone!), Thunderbolt Apache Leader, D-Day at Omaha Beach, Field Commander: Napoleon, and the recently released Navajo Wars.

A good solo game is VPG's Zulus on the Ramparts! (2nd edition). If you buy the non-boxed version, it's even cheaper! This, IMO, is a great game to see if you want to go on to bigger and better things. The rules aren't too complicated but they give you an idea of how better solitaire games can be a little more complex.
http://yhst-12000246778232.stores.yahoo.net/bozuonra2nde.htm...

Darkest Night and Dawn of the Zeds (2nd Ed) are also good suggestions. Darkest Night has a fantasy theme, like Arkham Horror (many prefer it to AH) and DotZ has a zombie theme...... but don't let it dissuade you. It's truly done in a unique way and is a game to be judged from the experience, not the theme.

*edit* Actually, looking at more of NWS's game selection, they have pretty good prices. Some of the games mentioned in my first paragraph are less than 40 dollars!

If money is no object, look at Field Commander: Napoleon. It is a wargame but there is virtually no simulation in this game at all, it's more game than war. It's fun, plays in a few hours, quick to setup and teardown, and the rules... well, they could be written better but the "Flatten the Learning Curve" summary in the BGG files makes that a non-issue.

It comes with SEVEN(!) mounted boards and 11 scenarios, so plenty to play with here. It's the one solitaire game I play that makes me feel like I'm playing against another person (virtually all others have an AI that acts very differently from yourself. This one is two armies that pretty much have the same actions available to them) and is surprisingly non-fiddly. There are no charts to remember, no cards. There is one D10 and chits and 2 maps (campaign and battle). It's excellent

http://yhst-12000246778232.stores.yahoo.net/ficonadboga.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been a dedicated solitaire wargamer since Fall of Rome was released by SPI in 1971. One of the most welcome developments in recent years has been the addition of satisfying solitaire experiences to Euro-style games. Friday is only specifically solo-designed Euro I know of, but as mentioned above by others, there are now a lot of choices of multi-player games with solo rules.

One way to choose among them is to watch some video reviews/play-throughs. One of the best at this is Ricky Royal, as he does a fantastic of allowing you to see how the game is played. His Youtube channel is here: https://www.youtube.com/user/rickkcroyal. I've picked up Robinson Crusoe, Police Squad and Circus Trian based on his videos, all for solo play. He also has a video of Snowdonia, but it did not appeal to me as a game.

I also picked up VPG's Dawn of the Zeds, based on the series of videos found here: http://boardgamegeek.com/video/35524/dawn-of-the-zeds-second...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Niemann
Germany
Hagen a.T.W.
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
www.spielträumer.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been enjoying SOS Titanic lately. It's a twist on the classic Klondike solitaire (patience) card game, takes about 20 minutes and is a very satisfying experience. I actually think it's a better solo game than it is with multiple players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boss Beau Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Dawn of the Zeds (Second edition)
+1 Ghost Stories

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.