Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Favelo
United States
Purcellville
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all, my son Noah developed a new variant for Castle Panic. He wanted to make a version in which players sent monsters across the field against each other, instead of an Overlord vs. the players. I'm very proud of his design, and I think it could be much fun! I don't know how to attach a file to a post, so I'll just copy and paste it here. Currently we do not have a version that incorporates the Wizard Tower (but we're working on it!). Enjoy!!! BTW imagine a fancy medieval font when you read it

Castle Panic: Duel Variant
For two players to play against each other (without Overlord)
By Noah and Doug Favelo

Goal:
Be the first to destroy your opponent’s 3 towers using monsters that cross a treacherous battlefield!

Setup:
Lay the board out. 1 player claims half of the board sectors 1-3 (both red sectors and 1 green sector), and the other player claims the other half (the other green sector and both blue sectors). Each player puts a tower in each of his forest sections and a wall in front of each tower.

Each player randomly draws 5 monster tiles; put any mini or mega bosses back and redraw. This is the player’s starting hand.

Next, each player randomly draws and places 3 monster tiles, 1 each in each of his own forest spaces (the player gets to decide where he places them). No mini or mega bosses; redraw in that case.

Each player draws a hand of 6 cards.

Randomly decide who goes first. First player will only be able to place TWO monsters in step 6 of his FIRST turn.

Rules of play:
Players alternate turns. Each turn is played out like the normal game, with these exceptions:

1) In step 1, a player draws up to a hand of 6 cards.

2) In step 2, a player may discard up to 2 cards and draw 2 replacements.

3) Skip step 3, the trade step.

4) Players may play as many cards as they wish (and can!) in a turn; the goal, of course, is to slay your opponent’s monsters before they get to your towers!

5) In step 5, all monsters move 2 SPACES instead of 1. Monsters do NOT move into the printed “Castle” spaces, but rather “jump over” these spaces to the other side of the board (thus, all monsters move from 1 swordsman ring to the opposite swordsman ring--a sector 1 monster goes to sector 4, 2 to 5, 3 to 6).

If a creature moves into an opponent’s forest space, he destroys a tower there and takes a point of damage, and is stopped (even if he has another space of movement). If there is no tower, he may continue clockwise or counterclockwise (the monster’s owner decides) toward another of the opponent’s towers.

4) In step 6 (Draw Monsters), the active player plays 3 monster tiles, rolling for them at random; however, use the following results:
for the player with sectors 1-3, a 1-2 = sector 1, a 3-4 = sector 2, and a 5-6 = sector 3
For the player with sectors 4-6, a 1-2 = sector 4, a 3-4 = sector 5, and a 5-6 = sector 6.
(if you have a special-made d3, that would make life easier!)

Finally, the player draws 3 new tiles (bringing his tile hand back up to 5 tiles; in the first turn, the first player would only draw 2).

5) Cards with a castle symbol on them (like the Barbarian) can be used in the forest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Williams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Nice idea! I played this for the first time with my wife last night, and it's good to have a 2-player variant. Also, our scenario isn't ideal for a game with co-operative elements as she always takes it really personally if i do any scheming ;-) Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Favelo
United States
Purcellville
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the encouragement! I may have misunderstood: are you saying you played Castle Panic for the first time, or this variant?

Sounds like your wife must love competing with you in board games--very fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.