Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor Franklin
United States
Vale
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have decided to purchase Ra in my next order, but for some reason Palazzo really seems appealing as well. Are these two too similar to purchase at the same time? Is Palazzo fun for new gamers? Since I'm getting Ra, I do not care if Palazzo is not as deep or strategic. I just wonder if it's fun, easy to learn, and not too similar to Ra. Also, is Palazzo a legitimate two player game like it says on the box?

Sorry for all the questions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Franklin
United States
Vale
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should mention that I'm not a dummy. I know the two games aren't nearly identical. In the sense that they are both auction games, I was wondering if they feel similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've played both and I don't think they are similar at all other than the fact that there are auctions in the game. Even with that fact, both games resolve the auctions very differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Moody
United States
Mason
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No but Palazzo and Alhambra are virtually the same game.

Lance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwerdtfeger
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree - Palazzo and Alhambra are much more similar than Palazzo and Ra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that gameplay feels different between Ra and Palazzo. Ra is vastly the better game, IMO.

I don't really think Palazzo and Alhambra feel very similar either, but I guess they are closer together than Ra and Palazzo. Alhambra is also better than Palazzo, IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lancemoody wrote:
No but Palazzo and Alhambra are virtually the same game.

I disagree. They have marked similarities, and are both supremely enjoyable, but they are distinct from each other. A few key difference:

-- Alhambra does not have an auction component.

-- Palazzo has a much simpler system for building things with the tiles you purchase.

-- In Alhambra you score points based on majorities; in Palazzo, your points scored are based entirely on your own constructions, independent of what others have built.

I've not played Ra, and can't give a first-hand-experience answer there. (But I've witnessed Ra being played, and I've read the rules. My impression is that it probably has a couple minor similarities -- it is a Knizia auction game, after all -- but a predominantly different feel from Palazzo.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ra is a much better game, but then - in my opinion - they don't get any better. If it is one or the other, Ra is it.

However, I have to beg to differ with the folks who think Palazzo and Alhambra aren't at all similar. I find a lot of parallels and I enjoy Palazzo much more. To me, it seems like Knizia just found some interesting and balanced ways to deal with what he may have thought were some of Alhambra's shortcomings. Can't say that for sure - I still have trouble reading Knizia's mind - but it seems this way to me.

For example - narrowing the number of currency types so it is easier to collect them and narrowing the range of values so the luck of the draw isn't so harsh (some people get a 3 money card on their turn and some get a 9). The fact that he threw an auction in there (hey, it's Knizia!) doesn't remove the fact that there is still regular old purchasing like in Alhambra, but with more flexibility for currency use. Scoring is not for majorities (rare in Knizia games), yes, but it does have variable timing for the game end and the single scoring opportunity at the game's close is less subject to luck of the draw than Alhambra where two scoring rounds come up randomly.

Some of these elements from Alhambra are fine, surely, but I like the way Palazzo refines them. And, incidentally, I think Palazzo works very well as a two-player game, which I don't think is really true of Alhambra (which is best at 3 or perhaps 4).

...Sheylon
www.boardgamebabylon.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Palazzo I thought a bad derivative of Campanile. Unfortunately Knizia has been putting out scoring systems rather than games recently, presumably because when Essen or Nuremberg looms a designer has to turn up with some new thing. The link to Alhambra is interesting, although however bad Palazzo may be, its still a game, which Alhambra isn't, really, on the ground it plays itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
generalpf wrote:
Palazzo scratches the same itch as Traumfabrik. As for Ra, there's nothing else like it. Ra is a much better game. I really enjoy Palazzo, however.

Strange, I played both for the first time last month and while I thought Traumfabrik was excellent and a must have, I found Palazzo to be boring and tedious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheylon,

I do agree that there are striking similarities between Palazzo and Alhambra. Certainly if you wanted to introduce Palazzo to someone familiar with eurogames, you'd probably start with Alhambra as a basepoint. "It's like Alhambra but..."

I just don't think that they're so similar that they cancel each other out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Forsythe
United States
Strafford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
For my non-gamers that I play with, Alhambra went over very well, then I introduced Palazzo, and that was easy to explain since it had similar elements (take money, buy, or re-arrange). But I like it better since the auctions add tension (you can have someone buy the stuff from under you on your turn). Both games I think are good for non-gamers, but Palazzo is perhaps a touch more complicated. Both of the games have gone over better than Ra. I think Ra takes at least one play to "get it". It's not that it is complicated to explain (it isn't), it's just that the strategy is not obvious on the first play. I do think Ra and Palazzo are different enough to justify both. I think the same is not necessarily true of Palazzo and Alhambra - if I had to have just one, it would be Palazzo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ra and Razzia are essentially the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
Palazzo and Ra are nothing alike: Palazzo is set in renaissance Italy while Ra is set in ancient Egypt.

I've been contemplating these two as well - I love Ra, but Palazzo seems better suited for 2-player gaming, which is lacking in my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d peruzzini
United States
cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
me and my daughter play palazzo for a 30 minute game fix, yes we play that fast, it has alot in it for that quick a game, we really like the way every thing works and its not difficult for the play stategy/options you get out of it, we as a family and my wife love alhambra also, more so probably, but in no way can play in 30 minutes and it also doesnt have that always involved feel, so both fill a different nitch but are vaguely similar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Hold on now. Ra is an excellent 2 player game. Have you tried it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
apotheos wrote:
Hold on now. Ra is an excellent 2 player game. Have you tried it?

No, I haven't. I've only played on BSW. Dammit. The temptation...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.