Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aerol Bibat
Philippines
Taguig
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got this recently - any suggestions on running it smoothly for the first time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Schwark
United States
Manitowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you going to play competitively or cooperatively? The strategy will be different for each kind. Other than that, make sure you have the rulebook nearby, because you'll probably need to check the rules periodically as you play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the Complete Rulebook on the files page. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Use the player made gameplay summaries found in the files section. The instruction books are complete but the info is not very linear. You'd be all over the place in the game manual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game On!
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
As you guide your cursor over the blue avatar a strange feeling of dread comes over you.
mbmbmbmbmb

I would suggest playing the game "solo" first, after reading the rules once or twice. By "solo" I don't mean the solo variant, but rather just play whichever version (co-op or comp.) that you're going to play, by yourself, to get a feel for the progression of the game flow.

Also, I would avoid using any of the advanced rules in the back of the rulebook, for the first game or two. Then add them in one or two at a time as you move forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Robinson
United States
Neptune City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some rules may seam clearer if you have the newest rule set. For us with the launch copies, there was a lot of guesswork.
The most common things to remember is...
Only Heroes roll all dice again if they get any successes from a Danger, not villains.
"Defense" Villains and Heroes can block a wound or two (depending on cards and or characters) during fights, unless a card says "Ignoring Defense". During fight rounds with a villain, for each HIT that you do (not wounds), you will gain 1 Glory. If you hit a villain with a roll of two 5's and they have 1 defense, you will still get 2 Glory even though they suffer only 1 wound.
Villains fully heal when ever they leave the board.
Nazi soldiers and Nazi Bodyguards are different. Body guards do not block movement and are bonuses for the villain, You never fight bodyguards, they always take the first hits before assigning them to a villain.
When a villain is removed from the board the bodyguards are removed as well.
When placing a villain you always place 2 bodyguards with them (If available), if there is already a nazi soldier in the space then he becomes a 3rd bodyguard. Nazi soldiers block movement and you have to fight to the finish with them unless escaping.
Don't forget event cards, Heroes, Allies and Gear cards bonuses.
Event cards can be played anytime, even if you are KO'd. (I personally don't like that you can cause events to happen if your character is KO'd so I don't use this rule)
Teaming up on an Adventure can really help out as the full Glory amount is awarded to all attempting the same adventure.
Attacking outposts can also help either by stealing artifacts or reducing their Fortune and Victory Point track back.
Unlike Artifact Adventures, Temple Adventures remain in play until the last coin is taken or it collapses. When passing a Danger at a temple, the danger token is placed on the Temple card itself. The Danger level determines when you replace Danger tokens with collapse markers. Whenever you go to a cliffhanger at a temple you remove all danger tokens and replace with a collapse marker and immediately roll for collapse. Villains never escape collapse, they take 1 D6 of hits and are placed in a delayed state unless they were knocked out from the collapse then placed in the KO'd state.
Unlike Artifact Adventures, You only keep the Temple piece or coins collected from a Temple Adventure, the Artifact / Adventure cards at a Temple Adventure are discarded upon completion.
Deep jungle adventures need to be found before adventuring, this is true for Villains as well, however, "Random Villains" do not have to search deep jungles.
The Artifact / Adventure cards stats are the hardest to remember. The text is too small and I can never remember them so I never really use them myself. You may want to skip those the first couple of plays as well as the Villain event cards listed in the basic game setup.
The game is heavy on luck but the theme is just so much fun. There are many ways to play, Basic, Cooperative, Team, Competitive, Advanced and Optional rules plus the expansions and supplements help with the already high replay factor. Hope you enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason "J.T." Taylor
United States
North Highlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play a competitive game first. Hands down. Simplest form of the game. The villains add more complexity and length to the game in a cooperative game that is really long for even experienced players.

Use the flowcharts provided on BGG files and the quick reference guides from esoteric order of gamers site (which I think is also on the BGG files.

I absolutely love this game (one of my favorites) and have played it and taught it so many times and yet it has to be one of the worst written rule books I have in my collection.

Stick with competitive first, once you get the hang of the basics in that game then you can add one additional variant until you get used to that one and then add on another, etc, etc, etc.

Once you get the hang of it, you'll really enjoy this game! =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the sweet spot for cooperative play?
Is 2-player worthwhile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Robinson
United States
Neptune City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played with 2 and 3 players and it seems well balanced. Did a 6 player last night (Solo with Mobsters) in anticipation of the expansions coming in this week. Other than being a table hog it worked well also. I also used the Deadly Tests deck and it slowed the game down considerably. The only feature I never used in any game, is the Artifact/Adventure text. It's too small to read and I always forget about it in between turns. So I don't know how that would effect game play in any mode of play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TigerTailz wrote:
The only feature I never used in any game, is the Artifact/Adventure text. It's too small to read and I always forget about it in between turns. So I don't know how that would effect game play in any mode of play.

My solution for this problem (and also the tendency for players to forget that they were in a Cliffhanger) is to use a set of bright orange cone tokens. Put them on the adventures with special effects and on the Cliffhanger cards. Keeps them from being overlooked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattias wrote:
Check out the Complete Rulebook on the files page. :-)

This is a must have, also agree to try thr competitive game first. Don't bother with the vile organization.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JC
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TigerTailz wrote:
Some rules may seam clearer if you have the newest rule set. For us with the launch copies, there was a lot of guesswork.

I had a question about this - how do I know which copy of rules I have? Is there a specific marking, or a copyright change in the manual?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.