Subject: Best solitaire worker placement game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
Is there such a thing? I've played Puerto Rico solitaire on the computer (very good), and tried the boardgame Agricola alone. What else is there out there I could try?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
Le Havre plays solitaire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kieren Medley
United States
Brady
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowdonia is one you might want to checkout. It's one of my favorite games to play solitaire right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the games by Uwe Rosenberg work quite well solitaire.

Archipelago has a solitaire expansion that I think is fun, but it's very puzzly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Michael. If you enjoy Print n Play games, Maquis is a very good, solo-only worker placement game.

Mo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy E
msg tools
mbmbmb
My experience with Agricola solo is that it doesn't feel like there's much variation from game to game, even using different sets of cards. (I'm not saying that's a bad thing, just pointing it out.) Le Havre feels much more variable to me, not just because of the randomization of the buildings, but because I can choose different paths to victory in each game.

Those are two of my favorite games (solo or otherwise), but everything I've seen of Caverna tells me that it will be a new favorite, and I'll probably like it more than Agricola or Le Havre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
Castaways can be played solo with worker placement, though it's more of a decision-making exercise, thematically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Moon
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
But my glass is dirty. Will you wipe it for me? Then you might take a peek into my mind ; )
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andye wrote:
My experience with Agricola solo is that it doesn't feel like there's much variation from game to game, even using different sets of cards. (I'm not saying that's a bad thing, just pointing it out.) Le Havre feels much more variable to me, not just because of the randomization of the buildings, but because I can choose different paths to victory in each game.

Those are two of my favorite games (solo or otherwise), but everything I've seen of Caverna tells me that it will be a new favorite, and I'll probably like it more than Agricola or Le Havre.

Only thing that worries me with Caverna is that there would not be any variability between each game unlike Le Havre or Agricola. Le Havre's speical buildings, and building orders change. Agricola had varying occupation and minor improvement with each game. But Caverna is like Ora et Labora - everything is already set. I guess that you can create a fan variant where you mix up the tiles for each game, but I wouldn't think that it would play great solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy E
msg tools
mbmbmb
JinMos wrote:
Only thing that worries me with Caverna is that there would not be any variability between each game unlike Le Havre or Agricola.

I always felt like the variability in Agricola that came from the cards was pretty minimal. Other than certain strong cards or combos, I found that the cards never really changed the path to victory: build a mostly balanced farm, grow your family early, etc.

The impression that I got from watching these two playthroughs is that Caverna has many viable paths to victory and a huge number of choices with every move. I expect the game-to-game variation to be in the form of choosing substantially different paths to victory.

I should add two caveats. The first is that, obviously, I don't actually have Caverna and have never played it. I'm just guessing based on the playthrough videos. Second, despite what I perceive as a lack of game-to-game variability in Agricola, it's still one of my favorite games. So I'm fairly certain that if my impression of Caverna is wrong, I'll still love the game. Your mileage may vary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee Wongsa
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DiceSpec wrote:
Snowdonia is one you might want to checkout. It's one of my favorite games to play solitaire right now.

bacon thumbsup bacon

There's a competition mechanic that makes this game very fun. You're constantly trying to plan around what the competition will be doing. It's a solo game that feels like a multi-player game.

Really good. So good I was inspired to create a week dedicated to playing and reporting on solo play. Here's the GeekList:

Snowdonia Week: A Collective Solo Experiment!

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Moon
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
But my glass is dirty. Will you wipe it for me? Then you might take a peek into my mind ; )
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andye wrote:

But the problem for me is...when played solo, there will be one pathway that will yield the highest score, and you are done with the game. Basically, the game is a puzzle that costs $80 when played by yourself. The game looks incredibly fun to play with others; not sure for single person. That's all As this was the same reason why I did not purchase Ora et Labora.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing's better than Robinson Crusoe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
Nothing's better than Robinson Crusoe.

Yeah, I've been wanting that one for a while. Still $140+ on Amazon, $100 plus shipping on BGG (2 on sale, but 1 is reserved for phantasmag), and so on... a bit much for a $79.99 MSRP game.

Oh, look, its finally in transit to Z-man according to their website and should be there in 4-6 weeks. Too bad they don't have a "last updated" timestamp on that posting. Guess it doesn't matter, been wanting this one so long that I've already spend my game budget for the year (in part because I didn't believe it would come out any time soon).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Siedschlag
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Walnut Grove
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Snowdonia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meepleonboard
United Kingdom
Somerset/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should certainly take a look at this Geeklist...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imp Rovius
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Nobody mentioned Luna yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But Luna isn't technically a worker-placement game, right?

The meeples in that game are more like action-allowance and area-control tokens. You don't place them out each round and bring them home like in a true worker placer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Archipelago with the solo expansion may be your best bet. That is one hell of a game. Check out Shut Up and Sit Down's review of it - though they focus on multiplayer aspects. You can nonetheless get a good sense of how impressive and in-depth it is. I think a solo worker-placement game may necessarily have to be some sort of elaborate puzzle, like Archipelago is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if the Agricola nay-sayers ever tried "campaign mode", but as you start with more cards in play each time and have a higher VP goal, the cards do matter. Also, the sense of progress across your solo sessions is nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.