Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
40 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: What is the "most played" miniatures game in the world at the moment? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Denison
msg tools
I haven't been involved in the world of gaming for some time and I'm curious to know what the most popular miniatures game is at the moment.

I assume it must be something from Games Workshop since they seem to have stores all over the place...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike C
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i would contest that, "current most popular" and "most played" are very different, your title is a bit hard to understand.

miniatures game would have to be clarified I think, I assume by "miniatures game" you mean things like warhammer and warmachine and not just games with a lot of miniatures or a wargame, that commonly uses counters to represent figures. Some might even contest that something like 4th edition D&D is effectively a miniatures game of 4-6 on 1.

if you actually mean "current most popular" I'd actually be willing to bet it's x-wing, which is extremely popular all over the world right now. If you mean "most played over history", then thats really tough and really depends on your definition of a miniatures game. by a modern definition I'm guessing it is in fact WHFB or 40k, but I think they are loosing ground by the minute. (thats coming from a long time GW ex-fan)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a toss up between X-Wing Miniatures and 40k. 40k might have slightly more "hardcore" adoption.

I think Warmachine is rising in popularity, but still lags quite far behind 40k.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Ryder
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure those stats are collected in any meaningful manner. The best you can go by is sales, using an assumption that sales must eventually equate to plays at an undetermined rate likely to be close enough across all games as to call even.

Warhammer 40k accounts for something like 70% of Games Workshops revenue, which is in the +$300 million range annually.

X-Wing, while quite popular, isn't quite at the scale of the Warhammer games...yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Denison
msg tools
Interesting...

I guess I mean "most played at the moment". I'm interested in building miniature scenery and I'd like to know where the biggest market is. I was going to build some Star Wars miniatures scenery but I'm seeing that Warhhamer Fantasy and Warhammer 40 000 have much larger fan bases...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bean-Boy wrote:
I'm not sure those stats are collected in any meaningful manner. The best you can go by is sales, using an assumption that sales must eventually equate to plays at an undetermined rate likely to be close enough across all games as to call even.

Warhammer 40k accounts for something like 70% of Games Workshops revenue, which is in the +$300 million range annually.

X-Wing, while quite popular, isn't quite at the scale of the Warhammer games...yet.

Going strictly by sales is a tad bit misleading, as an average 40k army will cost (MSRP) 500 dollars at the low end. Where an average X-Wing force might be 200 at most, and that's paying MSRP for only a tie swarm + a core.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Ryder
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So cut GW's revenue numbers in half to $150million+ per year to compensate for force size you still arrive at the same result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Ryder
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YoricksGhost wrote:
Interesting...

I guess I mean "most played at the moment". I'm interested in building miniature scenery and I'd like to know where the biggest market is. I was going to build some Star Wars miniatures scenery but I'm seeing that Warhhamer Fantasy and Warhammer 40 000 have much larger fan bases...

Given that nearly every scenery company I've seen primarily targets train hobbyists or Warhammer players, that's seems like a safe bet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Denison
msg tools
Just did an Ebay search.

Warhammer 40k = 7000 results

X-Wing Miniature game = 128 results

hmmm....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
YoricksGhost wrote:
Interesting...

The Warhammer games would be the direction to go. But as a bit of advice, I haven't seen (in the over 10 years I've been playing Warhammer and 40k) a lot of money to be made in the scenery/terrain business. Most people will make their own, use whatever the store has available (often made or donated), or go without. At conventions, heavily discounted terrain will sell sometimes, but even then, not a lot.

Not saying not to do it, but just bear in mind that it might not bring much in the way of money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Chess
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tavo Puebla
msg tools
Here in Mexico everyone seems to play Heroclix, It's huge here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
canavm2 wrote:
... or a wargame, that commonly uses counters to represent figures.

While many minis gamers claim (rightly) they are wargamers,
no one playing a hex and counter game claims they are playing minis.

A few people will play minis systems using stand in counters, but they
are still playing minis games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing it is 40K by a long shot. If you go into game store that is into miniatures, the vast amount of product is for 40K.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
YoricksGhost wrote:
Just did an Ebay search.

hmmm....

Jeez, even airfix soldiers (commonly used as historical minis) pull in over 1K.
And good old Ral Partha comes quite close to Whorehammer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
I'm guessing it is 40K by a long shot. If you go into game store that is into miniatures, the vast amount of product is for 40K.

I would agree - 40K is the most commonly played by a wide margin.

If you are looking to make terrain to sell as a business I would focus on the more generic stuff however, at least to start with. 40K has a pretty distinct theme for buildings with its gothic future, where 25-32mm hills, woods, and so forth can span multiple systems. Also consider that a game like Infinity is very popular AND requires a heavier terrain density than 40K. There are several companies that focus on generic futuristic civilian and military structures for that reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
YoricksGhost wrote:
Just did an Ebay search.

hmmm....

True, but Airfix and Ral Partha are not specific to one game system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MillertimeRC wrote:
calandale wrote:
YoricksGhost wrote:
Just did an Ebay search.

hmmm....

True, but Airfix and Ral Partha are not specific to one game system.

eBay searches might not be the best metric to see what is most played. I'm sure lots of that stuff up there is people trying to get rid of their stuff (by definition not playing anymore!). Also, 50k armies have more pieces than Star Wars! (And a crap ton more releases).

Still think 40k is the most owned/played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's probably 40k.

Though Hordes/Warmachine gets played way more around where I live.

But if you're just making terrain . . . probably fantasy or sci-fi will sell just as well. If it's done nicely and at a good price point.

I wonder if historical terrain is harder-- don't those games tend to vary in scale a little bit more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you consider how long Warhammer has been around compared to X-wing, I think they have had more time to build up a fanbase. Also, if you invested all your money in building and painting an army you might keep playing rather than switching to a cheaper, lighter game.

In my city we have 4 major game stores. One is a Trading Card (Magic: the Gathering) shop, one is a roleplaying game shop (with a selection of boardgames to stay relevant plus miniatures - of which GW and 40k are a good portion), one is a boardgame store (and a recipient of most of my disposable income now), and the final one is a wargame shop with a few tables to run traditional miniature battles. The wargaming store is dominated by GW products, with hex-and-chit games making up a large portion also.

What I am trying to say is there is no issue getting GW rules and miniatures in my area, and I can find players. I hear it is more popular in Europe rather than in the States - so I think 40k is dominant.

Also, was it here or on /r/boardgames (a sub-reddit for those who don't recognize the format) that there was a link that showed 40k being one of the most popular by far wargames?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am both a Warhammer 40,000 and Warhammer player, and I have to say these 2 are the most popular miniature tabletop game worldwide. HOWEVER, you can retire from this hobby even if you have a large collection. I have "retired" from this hobby despite having 6 armies (4 40K, 2 WHFB) ever since I have re-entered the boardgaming hobby. I find up setting up for a GW game to be much of a hassle these days compared to boardgaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen OConnor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Glass Bead Board Games
badge
Read my blog
mbmbmbmbmb
Warhammer 40k, but that probably will not be reflected on this site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warhammer 40K gets played??
I thought it was just an excuse for elitists with too much money to bitch about "lesser" peoples collections and paints...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
The Jakster wrote:
Warhammer 40K gets played??
I thought it was just an excuse for elitists with too much money to bitch about "lesser" peoples collections and paints...

Just like board games, huh? shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Welker
United States
Steubenville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know... when I walk around game conventions that are minis dedicated (or mostly so) the stuff that dominates is De Bellis Antiquitatis. The Warhammer crowd is there but in great minority.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.