Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Any Grognards in Springfield, MO Willing To Help a Newish Wargamer? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zigi Hogan
United States
The Ozarks
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
What's it going to be then, eh?
mbmbmbmbmb

Let me start this with the fact that I am not a total and complete noob by any means. I played Blitzkrieg and Midway back in the late 70's and early 80's. I came back to gaming 3 years ago (give or take) and, of course, played mostly Euro's since coming back (not that there is anything wrong with that).

I have many frequent gaming partners but only for Euro's or lighter Ameri-Trash games and only one who will play any wargame more complex than Memoir '44 (which I do love, but is a limited wargame strategically). I have one gaming partner who is also wanting to spread his wings into wargames.

However, neither of us have much experience with the more complex wargames (aside from those previously mentioned. And he is a long time RPG player) so neither of us shy away from complexity but are a little lost on where to begin or with some of the more unusual wargame rules.

I was hoping someone in the area would be willing to meet at a LGS here in Springfield (I live 3 blocks from GCE if you are familiar) for a few wargame sessions. You will not be subjected to young players by any means (the youngest of our group is 29 and I am 41) so you won't have inattentive youngsters to contend with. You would mainly be teaching and helping me learn to understand wargames more deeply.

I own and have played: Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! (second edition), 1940, Battle for Moscow (second edition). These are the ones that I am actively playing.

I own but have not played: Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #1, No Retreat! The Russian Front and Sniper! (second edition).

I will play just about anything on a tactical (which so far is what I enjoy most) or a strategic level (BlitzKrieg and 1940 are the only ones beside M44 I have played) or any other type just to get the experience.

If you can help post here or GM me, thank you very much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Willcockson
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you click on the little flag by your user name it will bring up a page where you can search for all the BGG members in Springfield Mo and then you can see which ones are the wargamers from their collections & send them a message. I just did a quick check and there were about two pages, one guy has an ASL badge who could certainly teach ASLSK#1 (an excellent game) if he was willing to. Perhaps do a similar search for any towns around Springfield that are in range. Sorry if you have already thought of this. Also if you think that ASLSK#1 would be a possibility you might post the same request targeted to that game over on consimworld on the ASL site in the forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zigi Hogan
United States
The Ozarks
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I did NOT know that and I thank you for the advice. I have been playing loads of CoH here of late but the ASL bug has bitten and I have been infected!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Willcockson
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That may turn out to be a life long infection... fortunately! If you are getting into ASLSK, be sure to keep an eye on MMP and "Decision at Elst" which will be a historical campaign game for ASLSK and should be published soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Pity you aren't a little farther north. There is a thriving wargames community up here in Kansas City. If you get up here be sure to visit Tabletop Hobby in Overland Park.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zigi Hogan
United States
The Ozarks
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I have been to Tabletop before!

My son and I came up to KC in the spring of last year and played in a Heroclix tournament and had a bit of fun (I would not classify Heroclix as fun any more!).

I had no idea there were good ol' hex and counter players up there. That is good info to have.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.