BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: A slightly custom 'The Resistance' box, need advice! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Starkebaum
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
So I've decided to look into making a few custom cases for games that, post sleeving up/adjusting components, either the boxes are too small (Boss Monster being the one I'm dealing with now), or I feel could be contained in a slightly smaller and more thematic case (Resistance, the topic of this thread.)
http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/antique-silver-metal-box...

These metal containers are available at my local Hobby Lobby, can be bought individually, and in the case of the smaller sized box, will hold sleeved standards size (2 1/2" by 3 1/2") cards just about perfectly if stored vertically within the case. Resistance is really a simple game that will have no more than thirty sleeved cards and the few chits that come with it for voting purposes. The box itself could be sectioned into two spaces, one for cards and one for chits, but the things I'm having trouble with are:

1) what could I use for dividing material, as I think metal is probably the best stylistically, but I would be unsure how to cut it to size and adhere it to the box,

2) The 'boards' that the game uses to track mission progress are, in both editions of the game, far too large to be store in a box this size, so what can be done to make a board that'd fit and still look good? (This I believe could be done by getting some matte card stock, getting the artwork for the 'boards', and simply scaling it to fit on a 2 1/2" by 2 1/2" or so square card. The boards really don't require anything but 5 spaces and the number of players on each mission.)

3) I wanted to paint the game's logo onto the box's top, most likely at a 45 degree bias, but just stenciling it out and then painting it would give a final product that, I believe, would look too clean, so what could be done to 'grunge' it up and give it a 'we just unearthed this box after years of fighting' look.

The community helped a ton when I asked an earlier question about setting up a board game board on the bed, and I wanted to ask you guys for advice once more. Thanks for reading!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.J.
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my re-theme of Resistance Avalon to X-men, I wanted a small profile...

Each mission is 1 card (with players - people on mission) in a grid on the bottom of the card. Then, I had 5 cards with X-men on one side, and Brotherhood on the other to signal who won each mission...

It's 10 extra cards, but keeps it cards only.

May be an idea for you?

Check it out here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/165039/item/2912580#item29...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Starkebaum
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
I definitely like choices, keeping everything neat and giving it a cool flavor. Because I'm not doing a theme reskin, I might keep in some of the tokens, but the narrowing it down to a single card face is pretty slick. My idea had been to try and replicate the boards used in Avalon (and possibly the 2nd Resistance release; I haven't seen it so I don't know what's there), because I liked the full art and the nice feel they gave off, but just doing the cards might be the easiest thing. Out of curiosity, how would you go about turning your ideas into physical product? I don't know how to do the printing onto cards: if it requires a special printer, or if you use certain paper types, how do you print on two sides, etc. The more I think on it the more I really like the 5 cards for 5 missions idea, plus the pass/fail marker cards that sit on top.

I think all sleeved up in a good looking set of sleeves would have it looking pretty good. This will probably be the route I go, but I'm not sure what to do about the interior; the inside of the box is long enough that if everything were just cards, it would all easily fit with tons of an inch or two of space in the box. I'm not sure what I could use to hold the cards upright in the box; a block of poly foam might work well, but I can't see it looking very good in an all metal box, so I'm not sure what to do there. Ideally, if I set it up like yours, and only need one token, I'd like whatever filler is holding the cards up to have a small indent to rest the token, but that's pretty trivial. Any tips are much appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.J.
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To go all cards like mine, you would have to turn the approve/reject tokens into cards as well... That is 20 more cards I think.

I use Printer Studio for my cards... If you will be sleeving you could use photo paper and cut and put in the sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.