Popular Tags: [View All]
Erin Jean
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Geeky Gimp reviews at geekygimp.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
My niece always sees me playing games, and wants to join in. Problem is, she's almost three so can't really join in when the games I play are Castles of Burgundy, etc. So I was thinking of buying a board game that she can play with me. She's fairly intelligent for her age, but like most toddlers, she has a short attention span. I've tried looking on here for an appropriate game, but they are either hard to find or OOP. Can someone recommend a game I can buy for her that is available on Amazon or at Coolstuff?

Thank you greatly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could get something like Zitternix or Snail's Pace Race, both available on Amazon. The Family Pastimes co-op games are kinda flimsy and tedious, but my son LOVED Bus Depot Diner at that age, and there are several other similar ones.

But when my son was that age, he usually didn't want kid games, he wanted to play with MY games, so we adapted. I made up games or activities that we could do with my games.

For example, I see that you have Alhambra. Put all the building tiles into a bag and take turns drawing them out and using them to build a big building, following the regular walls rules for Alhambra. This is more likely to let her feel like she is really playing the 'big people' game, and it starts teaching her a little bit about the game, so you can add more rules bit by bit as she gets older.

It's still going to be a little tedious for you - there's only so much you can do to make a game interesting for an adult AND playable by a toddler. But like you said, fortunately they have short attention spans at that age!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter didn't have a short attention span, but here are some games we played:

Zitternix
Hopp Galopp
Midnight Party
Der Schwarz Pirat
Chicken Cha Cha Cha
Gulo Gulo

A handful of other selecta spiele games of which I cannot remember

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sell
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rivers, Roads & Rails I played it with my kids at that age and they loved it. Make up stories for the connections and the people on the pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Animal upon Animal
Rattlesnake
Gobblet Jr.
Tsuro

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend has a 3-year-old and occasionally adds to this geeklist:
Anaya's Board Game Progress: A sequential list of Kid's and Toddler games she loves

Might give you some ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hide the Kids!
Go Away Monster!
Animal Upon Animal
Loopin' Louie - The nice thing about this one is you'll have more fun then she.
+1 RattleSnake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Goddard
England
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This weeks dice tower podcast has a top 10 kids games and they talk about quite a few others too.

TDT - Episode # 329 - Games for Young Children

They recommend a lot of Haba games which are easily located on amazon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmb
Games by HABA - Habermaaß GmbH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nithos nithos

Iowa
msg tools
My daughter is 4, but has been sneaking in to games with me and my son for a while.

Hisss
Go Away Monster!
Sleeping Queens (may need help with math or house rules)

Some Coop games will also work, just have her move the pieces with your guidance.
Forbidden Island
Castle Panic

She also LOVES King of Tokyo, but she usually dies quickly since she always wants to stay in Tokyo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Mason
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Hiss and Go away Monsters!

I also recommend Cranium Cariboo. My 3 year old loves it. And you can easily find it at a thrift store... if that is your thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Horm
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Telestrations, or Eat Poop You Cat if you want to appeal to 3 year olds

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Animal Upon Animal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry! Sliders (Cheap and easy to find, I'll sell you one for 5 bucks, but it's probably cheaper to hunt one down locally without shipping,) Ka'lide (has magnets, and was carried by the 5 and below discount chain,) Tumblin-Dice (Price but very cool looking,) or other light Dexterity games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My oldest turned 4 a few months ago, but we have been playing Carcassonne (without farmers) and Zooloretto Junior for a while. Recently, my father-in-law taught him Checkers, which seemed to go over well. His other favorites are out of print (Gulo Gulo and Escape from the Hidden Castle), but Who Shook Hook? is pretty neat and it is really easy to find (Target, Toys R Us, etc).

If you are interested, I am maintaining a geeklist that has a lot more detail on most of the games we have played. Games My Kids Play (ages 2 and up)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cranium Cariboo is a really good one, my 4 year old has lots of fun with it and it is a learning game at the same time! Other games she enjoys are Hungry Hungry Hippos, which I personally don't like, but at least it doesn't last long but I don't think it really has any benefits of playing such as learning to take a turn. Chutes and Ladders is an easier one as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nithos nithos

Iowa
msg tools
davidhorm wrote:
Telestrations, or Eat Poop You Cat if you want to appeal to 3 year olds

At 3? They probably can't read or draw basic shapes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Lampinen
Finland
Espoo
none
flag msg tools
(and a hermit)
badge
Fan of FUN games!
mbmbmb
My First Carcassonne is great because one round takes something like 5 minutes to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.